Less than 60 days til CBS 2 debuts new digs

former newsboy

Rosenthal has lots of info for us in last Sunday's Tribune. Glad to hear Ahern's pullin out all the stops, but at the same time, it's a little hard to hear about his marble office bathroom shower when he just unloaded so many at the station. Especially an asset like Mary Ann Childers. But I digress, here's the link...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-sun_rosenthal_525may25,0,6618398.column

Hmmm, 22 W. Washington. Nice Choice of Address.

I've said this many times. You can have the best television facility, you can have the best news set in the market, best graphics, best music, you can even have the same street-side studio like WLS, and you might have the best news team (which I highly doubt since Mary Ann & Mark is gone). But if they really want to excell in the ratings, they have to change their producing & content formula to the max. That's been their main problem for several years. They constantly making cosmetic changes, and they don't even stick with it. I'm very happy they're moving to "Block 37" and I will miss the 630 McClurg Building. But the content has to really change if they ever want that #1 contention again.

Just a tad-bit off topic, I've been thinking about this for a while. I wonder if sometime in the future, the CBS radio properties (WBBM 780, WBBM-FM 96.3 and a few others) would move to the new Block 37 building. It is kind of stupid that all those radio stations are scattered all over the downtown area. If Clear Channel can have all their radio stations in one building, why can't CBS? This would save a bundle of money for CBS Corp.

Oh give me a break formernewsboy. It's 2008 and most people have marble in their kitchens and hallways, let alone their bathrooms. This is a brand new building that is supposed to last for generations. When Rosenthal mentioned the marble, Ahern warned to not make it look like it was all waste. In my opinion, they aren't at all. If it was my new house/office I would want to make it look nice too.

I liked reading the article. Hopefully their signal issues will be resolved once and for all when they move to the new place. I am excited to find out what their new set will look like. There are pictures of their new newsroom and "star trek" assignment desk at Goettsch Partners' website: http://www.gpchicago.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=762&SubCat=north+america. In the portfolio section, just click CBS Broadcasting and you can see what it will be like, at least upstairs.

Does anyone know what set design firm they are using?

Just a tad-bit off topic, I've been thinking about this for a while. I wonder if sometime in the future, the CBS radio properties (WBBM 780, WBBM-FM 96.3 and a few others) would move to the new Block 37 building. It is kind of stupid that all those radio stations are scattered all over the downtown area. If Clear Channel can have all their radio stations in one building, why can't CBS? This would save a bundle of money for CBS Corp.

Actually, that has been looked into but that's not in the plans. It really wouldn't save CBS any money. If anything, it would cost quite a bit more for CBS. Remember, CBS is LEASING their new space for WBBM-TV. They don't actually own the block 37 building like their old (current) 630 N McClurg Ct. building. ABC owns their building at 180 N State and that's why ABC can also have all their radio stations housed in the same building as their TV station. Since WBBM's new TV home is prime real estate, rent is higher their than the other Chicago locations which house the various CBS radio stations. The locations that the CBS radio stations are housed at (Prudential, 180 N Stetson, etc.) are already set up for radio stations. It would also cost CBS quite a bit more get the new block 37 building radio set up. The general radio listening population really don't care where their radio station is located as long as they can pick it up on their dial.

-------------------------

About the marble.. The cost of the marble is nothing compared to almost everything else spent on in the new building. Many Chicago buildings have used marble for many many years for various things and it's good lasting quality stuff. Marble isn't as "rare" as many think.. I know quite a few people that have it in their offices and their showers.

Hmmm, 22 W. Washington. Nice Choice of Address.

And some of this, I think, is a hangover from when Mel Karnazan was at the top of CBS. Remember, he was and is a radio guy at heart, and there had been some thought, before Mel ran into a Redstone wall (if you will); that at some point, he would spin off what was at that time Infinity Broadcasting (the CBS/Group W, et. al.), not unlike what NBC and later ABC did with their owned stations.

And it would seem easier to separate the properties if they were not in the same building.

And some of this, I think, is a hangover from when Mel Karnazan was at the top of CBS. Remember, he was and is a radio guy at heart, and there had been some thought, before Mel ran into a Redstone wall (if you will); that at some point, he would spin off what was at that time Infinity Broadcasting (the CBS/Group W, et. al.), not unlike what NBC and later ABC did with their owned stations.

And it would seem easier to separate the properties if they were not in the same building.

I remember Infinity Broadcasting before the Viacom/CBS split, then renamed it back to CBS Radio. But it would still be nice if they do have all at least their radio properties in one building, at least if they would never be at the new CBS 2 building. I first thought of that after Clear Channel having 7 radio stations here in the Chicago and move all of them to a building on South Michigan Avenue. I wouldn't really seeing them doing it anytime soon, but it was a thought that I wondered, why can't they do it?

I wouldn't want CBS to do the same thing what Disney did by selling the ABC News Radio Stations and keeping ESPN Radio & Radio Disney stations.

I remember Infinity Broadcasting before the Viacom/CBS split, then renamed it back to CBS Radio. But it would still be nice if they do have all at least their radio properties in one building, at least if they would never be at the new CBS 2 building. I first thought of that after Clear Channel having 7 radio stations here in the Chicago and move all of them to a building on South Michigan Avenue. I wouldn't really seeing them doing it anytime soon, but it was a thought that I wondered, why can't they do it?

I wouldn't want CBS to do the same thing what Disney did by selling the ABC News Radio Stations and keeping ESPN Radio & Radio Disney stations.

Honestly, what good or what benefit would that serve for CBS Radio? There isn't a need for all the CBS Radio stations in Chicago to be in the same location. If any had to pass information to each other, there are various ways to do it without having to actually walk from one station's office to another. The stations are also really only a few blocks away from each other. The only people it would make happy are the few nutcases around here. Why would CBS Radio spend money that doesn't need to spent? Trust me, the locations of their stations at this time is what's best for the way their Chicago stations are run.

The Clear Channel radio stations in Chicago are actually on North Michigan Ave. (haha. Got you on that one.) Clear Channel runs their radio stations in a completely different business/management format. In the way Clear Channel runs their radio stations, being all together in the same building makes alot of sense and saves them plenty of money.

About the ABC/Disney owned radio stations.. Disney didn't fully sell the ABC News radio stations. Disney still has about 40 to 50% ownership/control over each of those stations. There are just some cheap Citadel bastards in that mix now that run the joint now too. It was just a way that Disney could dump off control of alot of their radio stations so they can focus more on the TV side. Disney keeping the ESPN Radio and Radio Disney has to do alot with those 2 entities tying in ALOT more with the TV side.

At this time, the radio stations are still a very strong part of CBS so I really don't think CBS is just going to sell them (the strong going stations, at least) off anytime soon so there's no need to worry. Heck, in Chicago, a very few of the CBS Radio stations combined does better than WBBM-TV.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a rumor on a other forum that on CBS 2 will expect to start broadcasting from the new set first or second week July. Also right now CBS 2 is putting in the newsdesk. The person said the information was just announced on the 10pm newscast.

During the 5PM news on Monday, they showed part of the new anchor desk being constructed, or at least a part of it being taken inside the new studio. I think they are gradually going to show another aspect of the new center each day. It was really cool. It looked like the desk was going incorporate wood with some blue, from what I remember?

I drove by there on Sunday and you can see into the studio. I drove past and all I could see were some chairs. I am so excited to see the finished product. I hope it looks even better than the original DDG studio set and blows the rest of the stations away!

I think they saw WMAQs sloppy transition into HD and don't want to rush the transition like them. (In Feder's artice a station spokeswoman said they don't want to rush the transition) WMAQ still has the same type of errors that happened when they went HD. This morning, during a Today Show cut-in the audio was making a funny sound for about 10 seconds.

I'm all for getting things perfect so as to not disappoint and make a strong first impression, but the way this has been dragging on and on, u'd think they were painting the Sistine Chapel. And now (after such delay) it better be just as impressive, or they WILL disappoint! Cuz talk about build-up! I guess they can shelve those "new CBS 2 coming soon" commercials for a while and stop teasing us on the news by constantly talking about it.

Even though I really want to see CBS 2 in HD, I think it's good for them to admit that there's problems and that they want to fix them. But, the problems better be fixed by the date they say they will be, 'cause I don't want to wait any longer. The suspense is killing me.

I thought you guys would know the way Chicago works by now.. Things are never done (especially in new construction) by the time someone says they would be done. When was the last time something was constructed on time and something big/major made its debut on time around here? Heck, even WLS's new streetside studio and HD debut were delayed a number of months.

This latest delay (along with just about all the other delays) is not WBBM's fault. Everything was going smoothly but it was just discovered a few studio-related things need to be fixed. Trust me, they didn't plan this to happen. WBBM wanted to be in their new building and already broadcasting in HD a long time ago. Management was really sure they would be in there by August so they started airing the promos. Nothing wrong with that. They have the right to brag about their new home.

The only people feeling dragged on by this are you guys here and maybe a couple newsroom staffers. The general TV viewing public really doesn't care if they have to wait a few more months or years for this. The only reason why it seems like a big deal because Feder loves to write full page articles about things not going right for WBBM. Just be patient and I'm sure you'll be happy.

About the set.. The new set will be very nice. I personally think it looks alot better than the original DDG set. The new set won't have all the fake-ness and tackiness that the DDG set had.

I didn't think the original DDG set had any "fakeness" or "tackiness". Devlin and their team did a great design and construct job and the original set still beats many others hands down.

I was a little disappointed to hear that they won't be ready come July. But better safe than sorry, and first impressions are lasting, for whoever does still tune into channel 2.

As an aside, they did a really cool looking promo for an event occurring tomorrow, I think it was something to do with reducing gang violence? The graphics/design was very nice, it had a silvery CBS 2 logo (like in the "The new CBS 2 coming soon" promos) and some purple and blue. Any idea if they are going to be using a new style of graphics soon?

Any idea if they are going to be using a new style of graphics soon?

From June 5th's Feder column, it sounds like Channel 2 will in fact roll-out new graphics along with thier new studios:

• • Neal Weisenberg, who was the award-winning art director at CBS-owned WBBM-Channel 2 before his job was eliminated in February's massive budget cuts, has been hired as art director for The Disney Channel, based in Los Angeles.

A Chicago native who jumped to Channel 2 in 2002 after 11 years at Channel 7, Weisenberg designed the set and graphics for Channel 2's revamped operations at 22 W. Washington. Too bad he won't be around to see them unveiled in July.

Archived