Mellow WCCO open

alaskanews

The description from the dude who claims to make these says they were trying a new thing incorporating it into the open. So I didn't know if after this they dissolved out to the set or rolled another open.

I know you said it was mellow, but this is REALLY mellow. I don't blame WCCO for trying new things, but still, they could stand to energize it. I almost fell asleep watching it. Still, it was a decent opening.

I stated on one of the comments on YT, this is a true example is to why KSTP 5 is beating their asses in the ratings.

This is one of those promos that you can just literally go to sleep to. I mean, picture yourself dozing off when the 9pm program is about to go off and when the WCCO promo teasers go off, you're already knocked the hell out, sleeping like a baby. Now you missed the 10pm show.

As long as Channel 4 continues with these promos, this gives many folks the reason why to go to sleep before 10pm.

I'm not a huge fan of these topicals but I could see them working in Minneapolis/St. Paul. It's a different kind of news market overall anyway, and it fits into their overall "Know More" branding really well.

I agree with what there doing. The open from my knowledge is an experiment anyways. The topicals do go along great with there know more branding. And this type of simplistic is very easy to catch on with in Minneapolis. Theres a reason Hometown Hubble is getting beat. Its because you have two innovative stations in WCCO and KARE who know the market very well. Its time that Five finds something to stick with and quick.

Its time that Five finds something to stick with and quick.

Yes, and I work at KSTP and I keep saying, get a new set!! They got an all new set for their new afternoon show, Twin Cities Live, but not so much as a new backdrop for their news. They need an upgrade, badly. Their set, which I saw tonight, looks old, outdated, and something that belongs in a smaller market. The news desk needs to be replaced as well. Once they do that, or go to HD, then they might get back in the ratings game with KARE and WCCO.

It's hard to believe this is the same station that introduced Interceptor, one of the heaviest, dramatic, and tabloid-esque themes I've heard, to the world. I love the open rundown idea - it adds an element of freshness to the newscast. It's a happy medium between having an open and not having one.

That said, they really need to unify the branding. And by that I mean they need to get rid of that ugly CBS 4 logo and just use that WCCO box logo. It already looks like they're using it on everything else, so why not go all the way?

All said, news graphics are in a rut. I welcome any station that's willing to try something different.

Smart move for WCCO. But will the graphics and open stand out in the July sweeps ratings?

I'm not sure if the numbers from May show any gains at all, but I'd assume if it worked for them then it'll stick.

I like the relaxed feel, but that is sleepy. Maybe a closing shot of the news anchors and/or set might liven it up. I think the commercial could play and no one would notice it.

I'm sorry, if my calls were KOLD, I would change them. Think about it, "We're KOLD (cold)", Ah, the K-OLD people... I am sure there are others.

btw, I could see that slower tease coming to WTSP - They are already that slow during their newscasts.

I'm sorry, if my calls were KOLD, I would change them. Think about it, "We're KOLD (cold)", Ah, the K-OLD people... I am sure there are others.

btw, I could see that slower tease coming to WTSP - They are already that slow during their newscasts.

Well, we are in Arizona, full of old people so it would fit...

They brand themselves as K-O-L-D News 13, but you could always just flip over to K-GUN 9 On Your Side :)

Archived