WFLD's "Good Day Chicago" extends an extra hour

CircleSeven

Looks like WFLD can say "bye-bye" to the ratings, if they have any that is. Going up against Oprah is a sure-fire way to lose viewers. I can understand if they want to strengthen their local news connection, but let's be honest here: No one can top Oprah, especially in Chicago.

Looks like WFLD can say "bye-bye" to the ratings, if they have any that is. Going up against Oprah is a sure-fire way to lose viewers. I can understand if they want to strengthen their local news connection, but let's be honest here: No one can top Oprah, especially in Chicago.

Yeah, see how they're trying (well at least trying) to pulling a FOX 11. You know, since Good Day Live got canned, they added an extra hour of GDLA. I don't see this lasting long. And who watches the news later than 9am in the morning here in Chicago, other than CLTV?

Mike & Juliet needs to be canned. They're now in one of the worst timeslots since The View & The Price Is Right are like the top two at 10am. I don't blame WRAL (CBS 5) for moving it to 2am in the morning for Andy Griffith Show.

I read some of the reactions from the article, and I have one word: ouch. But, these people are right. I have an idea for WFLD: shrink down the newscasts and put syndicated fare in their place or even put afternoon shows in place. That way, you can add more newscasts in the afternoon and compete with the other stations. You can only get better, not worse. Or can you?

It is ridiculous to expand Good Day Chicago when its not even a highly rated program to begin with. Fox O&Os would be better off being more LOCAL and not using the Fox News Channel graphics, themes, and slogans for their local newscasts. WFLD isn't even close to being "the most powerful name in local news" in Chicago. They'd be better off being known as Chicago's 32--something more LOCAL. I don't even know why they use FOX in their branding when the only Fox programming carried is 2 hours per day plus NFL games in the Fall.

I've never understood local stations doing newscasts past 8:00am. Most people are at work by 8:00 and those that aren't are on their way to be by 9:00 and aren't home watching news.

Good Day will get too much competition from Oprah, Regis & Kelly, and Guiding Light to be successful at 9. The whole thing is ridiculous. If anyone was expanding past 9:00, I think it'd be WGN's top rated local morning news--NOT WFLD!

It's too bad CBS 2 doesn't offer an hourlong 5pm newscast with the CBS Evening News at 6pm like it was years ago, or NBC 5 had an hourlong 6pm newscast. Unfortunately the network makes them run Extra and Access Hollywood in place of local newscasts.

I'm not sure why they're expanding GDC considering its poor ratings. I wonder just what factors they looked at during the decision-making process which led them to think this is a good idea.

Plus, why would they waste money/resources on a additional hour of GDC when adding a 5 PM newscast would be a better idea and give them a head start over WGN when they add their evening newscast later this summer/year.

I think they want to try a extra hour of GDC first to see what WGN does. If they are going to put on a newscast at 5 or 530. All they have to do then is cancel their 10am extension and start up one at 5 or 530 to compete with WGN.

• 2 weeks later...
I think they want to try a extra hour of GDC first to see what WGN does. If they are going to put on a newscast at 5 or 530. All they have to do then is cancel their 10am extension and start up one at 5 or 530 to compete with WGN.

We don't need 5 stations doing newscasts at 5:00pm. One of them should consider at hourlong 6pm newscast. A lot of people don't get home until after 6pm and don't get to see local newscasts so a later one would be good. Viewers need some variety.

On today's Feder Article, Kori Chambers from WDIV-TV, Local 4 in Detroit will be Good Day Chicago's new News Reader.

Also there will be a new anchor talent realignment starting July 7th.

5am-6am: Patrick Elwood & Nancy Loo

6am-7am: Patrick Elwood & Jan Jeffcoat

7am-10am: Mike Barz & Jan Jeffcoat

Hopefully, Kori Chambers will be an asset to Good Day Chicago. I saw his work in Detroit, and I think he's pretty good. However, Good Day Chicago's ratings could be better, so I think Kori will have to work hard to get people to watch.

Yeah, see how they're trying (well at least trying) to pulling a FOX 11. You know, since Good Day Live got canned, they added an extra hour of GDLA. I don't see this lasting long. And who watches the news later than 9am in the morning here in Chicago, other than CLTV?

Mike & Juliet needs to be canned. They're now in one of the worst timeslots since The View & The Price Is Right are like the top two at 10am. I don't blame WRAL (CBS 5) for moving it to 2am in the morning for Andy Griffith Show.

Fox's attempts at programming the 9:00am hour have been unsuccessful for the past several years. They first programmed Fox After Breakfast in the 90s which later became The Vicki Lawrence Show before being cancelled. Then they tried Good Day Live which failed as well. Mike & Juillet I'd guess will be done after this next season. I'm surprised it was renewed for another season. They also failed with On Air with Ryan Seacrest in the afternoons.

Let's face it. FOX just can't compete with Regis and Kelly, or the Today Show. They should just put some syndicated programming or even The Simpsons/Family Guy, etc. in that time slot.

It will be interesting to see what format changes they make now that they have an extra hour to "program" if you will. They really need to work on time management and their overall format/structure. Ratings could improve once they create a solid image/identity and not worry about what others (WGN for instance) are doing.

The GM of WFLD/WPWR seems to have free reign to do whatever he wants (like add an extra hour to GDC) regardless of the ratings of GDC or any other newscast. I guess we have to wait and see happens in the months to come.

Fox's problem is that their idea of Breakfast Television is to disguise a network program as a cheap syndicated program.

If they actually had "Fox & Friends" on Fox, then people would be more inclined to watch than if it were "The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet".

I was thinking about another way WFLD could go about advertising their extra hour. How about instead of cramming all the people into one shot, try slowly zooming out to convey the point of expanding? That would be a much better approach.

I don't want to speculate and turn out to be wrong, but if I take the programs on the other networks at that time (Oprah on Channel 7, Guiding Light on Channel 2, The Today Show on Channel 5, and Regis and Kelly on Channel 9), I can't imagine the ratings would be that good.

I don't want to speculate and turn out to be wrong, but if I take the programs on the other networks at that time (Oprah on Channel 7, Guiding Light on Channel 2, The Today Show on Channel 5, and Regis and Kelly on Channel 9), I can't imagine the ratings would be that good.

I just turn off the TV until 11am. That's when Channel 7 has their news on. Ever since TPIR are on repeats, none of the programs from 9-11am are good at the times. I seldomly watch Oprah at 9am.

Anyone know how the new hour is doing in the rating? I kinda like it seems to be down to earth and funny. I wake up later now and started watching 8 to 10am and im liking.

I can't post exact numbers but I can tell you the last hour is doing pretty good actually..

It was a plan WFLD wanted to do to increase later morning ratings (9AM to 11AM more specifically) and so far, it's working out pretty well. There were a couple determining factors which made the adding of the 9-10AM hour to Good Day Chicago a go forward move. The first one was that WFLD has the highest rated 9-10AM hour among all the FOX O&O's. The second was that Chicago is Mike & Juliet 's number 1 market. Of all the markets that air The Morning Show with Mike & Juliet, Chicago has the highest ratings for that show. WFLD is confident that the regular viewers of Mike & Juliet will stay through one more hour of Good Day Chicago and continue to watch Mike & Juliet at its new timeslot.

I know some here may say that "Oh, those viewers who wanted to see M&J at 9AM will now just turn to Live with Regis and Kelly on channel 9." That's not necessarily true. Eventhough they both have a male and a female host, M&J is more of a news focused, family & health, etc. oriented show while R&J is more of a morning entertainment/celebrity show.

Also, WFLD knows Oprah is #1 in the mornings in Chicago at 9AM. They don't expect on beating Oprah. They just want to give Chicago TV viewers a news & fun local alternative to Guiding Light, Today Show, Oprah, and Live with Regis & Kelly in the 9AM timeslot.

I can't post exact numbers but I can tell you the last hour is doing pretty good actually..

It was a plan WFLD wanted to do to increase later morning ratings (9AM to 11AM more specifically) and so far, it's working out pretty well. There were a couple determining factors which made the adding of the 9-10AM hour to Good Day Chicago a go forward move. The first one was that WFLD has the highest rated 9-10AM hour among all the FOX O&O's. The second was that Chicago is Mike & Juliet 's number 1 market. Of all the markets that air The Morning Show with Mike & Juliet, Chicago has the highest ratings for that show. WFLD is confident that the regular viewers of Mike & Juliet will stay through one more hour of Good Day Chicago and continue to watch Mike & Juliet at its new timeslot.

I know some here may say that "Oh, those viewers who wanted to see M&J at 9AM will now just turn to Live with Regis and Kelly on channel 9." That's not necessarily true. Eventhough they both have a male and a female host, M&J is more of a news focused, family & health, etc. oriented show while R&J is more of a morning entertainment/celebrity show.

Also, WFLD knows Oprah is #1 in the mornings in Chicago at 9AM. They don't expect on beating Oprah. They just want to give Chicago TV viewers a news & fun local alternative to Guiding Light, Today Show, Oprah, and Live with Regis & Kelly in the 9AM timeslot.

Thanks for the info :D

Archived