Tim Russert dead at 58

Guest cfif

Tom Brokaw broke into MSNBC today w/ the news. This is extremely sad....he was a first class journalist and an amazing man. RIP.

He died of a collapse @ NBC News in Washington.

:(

It's weird that that this previous Sunday morning, just before I was watching CBS News Sunday Morning, I just happen to catch the last glimpse of him talking about RFK.

He will always be known for the fact that in 2000 when hi-tech was in, he stood out by going lo-tech, just a black marker and a white board.

My deepest, deepest condolences to the Russert family as well as the entire staff at both NBC News and NBC Universal.

It's almost as if it's a bad dream. Jim McKay last weekend, Charlie Jones (a greatly underrated sportscaster) earlier this week, and now Tim Russert. Sad day for political journalism, bottom line.

I'm not a political junkie, but I can probably say that any interests in politics every 4 years stem from watching Tim Russert at NBC News. In a time when their news division is taking a decidedly left lean, Russert was a constant neutral. He asked the questions folks like you or I wanted to know and didn't hold back on any politician.

Also surreal is how he died. He died while doing what he loved, prepping for Meet the Press. The show is an institution and many great people hosted the show in a myriad of formats, but the roundtable discussion perfected by Russert in the '90s and into this new age of broadcasting has simply become the gold standard. When the other Sunday morning shows try to emulate you, then you're truly the biggest game in town.

Russert always ended his Sunday morning chatfests by saying, "If it's Sunday, it's Meet the Press." Well, for political junkies, casual fans, and those who just plain appreciate good journalism, it should be really said that, "If it's Sunday, it's Tim Russert, and Meet the Press." Condolences to Big Russ, Luke, the Russert family, his colleagues at NBC News and his contemporaries alike.

As of the 6pm Eastern hour, an announcement that an autopsy would be performed. It is possible that he suffered from a clot which formed while being seated for such a long flight. According to the reports I read, he complained of shortness of breath, not chest pains. The clot theory is a likely candidate.

In any regard, the news world has lost a true gem. We are better for having known him.

RIP, Tim. May the angels lead you to paradise, may the martyrs come to take home. And, may your soul, rest in peace.

It is a sad day for Mr. Russert's family, NBC News, and political journalism...no doubt about that. I'm personally interested to hear if he died of...something. A heart attack, something undiagnosed...this seems a little sudden. 58 is quite a young age these days to go.

HOWEVER...

I have to wonder if, on a professional level, Tom Brokaw interrupting programming was the correct decision. On a personal level, as the two were good friends, I totally understand--but having someone like Brokaw break in with just that news with not even an opening VO...I have to wonder if a few viewers out there were initially concerned that maybe a president died or someone on that level had passed on...or something that, in the grand scheme of the world, was more important just occurred.

That's not to say Mr. Russert wasn't an important figure in politics; he was. However, not everybody watches Meet the Press, or knows who Tim Russert is, or they may watch his competition on Sunday morning.

It's a very, very fine line. Perhaps Mr. Brokaw himself desired to break the news personally, which, again, I understand. Judging from that clip, he did so with great class. That in mind, perhaps the small concern I've presented is for naught.

-T

You may have a point TSS, but still, it seems like this is extremely important since the media is essentially a basic stone of a democracy and a loss of a major person in it can be likened to the death of a president.

Still, I think I remember why I don't watch this kind of coverage. Even if I don't know the person, if I have any attachment to them, I can shed a tear or two. It'll be interesting how NBC moves forward from this, but for now, it appears the organization is going to allow itself to morn his loss, pushing everything else out of the way in doing so.

I was in shock when I heard this, My dad and I would always watch Meet the Press every sunday morning. And I just can't imagine what the show will be like now without him.

Thanks Mr. Russert, and may the lord bless your soul.

Oh come the eff on....Russert is a person millions of Americans watch every Sunday and he is a highly respected journalist.

That's true. However, millions also watch Bob Schieffer on Face the Nation. Millions watch This Week with George Stephanopolous (pardon my spelling.) And, God forbid, millions also watch FOX News Sunday with Chris Wallace. Millions choose to watch none of those Sunday morning options as well.

You've also left out the fact that the news of the day on MSNBC (and I also think on CNN) essentially STOPPED when Russert passed, which I have a big problem with. We have a near Katrina like disaster going on right now in Iowa, we have energy prices popping inflation up...and while I was teaching at a Summer camp and didn't have a ton of TV access when Peter Jennings died, I don't remember him having nearly as much same-day coverage dedicated to his life by ABC or any other network...maybe because that's the way he would have wanted it.

NBC kinda forgot this world existed and focused on themselves when Mr. Russert died. I remember in Boston when Natalie Jacobson retired--she is to Boston news what Russert is to national politics. WCVB did a lot of reflective coverage, but the final 6PM half-hour she anchored wasn't completely about her. When something like this happens, you need to have balance.

Here's a question--when Ronald Regan or Gerald Ford died, did Brokaw come in to anchor? I can't remember immediately, but if he didn't, or didn't within 24 hours, it may be indicative of where NBC's priorities are...for better or for worse.

-T

Archived