Tim Russert dead at 58

Guest cfif

Tim Russert is a broadcasting legend. I always enjoyed watching him on Sunday mornings, interviewing Washington's power players. He's one of a kind. No one can replace him. You will be sorely missed, Tim! Thanks for the memories!

While it's certainly valid to question NBC's actions today, it's not all appropriate to hijack a thread dedicated to Mr. Russert's memory to raise said question when he hasn't even been deceased 24 hours.

That said, Tristan, please either start a new thread with this or STFU about it out of respect for one of the greatest journalists of this generation. This is not the venue to air your gripes alleging NBC's narcissism.

I know a good number of you have problems with me personally, but when it comes to moderating none of you can say I'm not fair. With that in mind, my heavy handedness here seems more than warranted in my mind.

My heart goes out to Russert's family and his colleagues at NBC.

That's true. However, millions also watch Bob Schieffer on Face

You've also left out the fact that the news of the day on MSNBC (and I also think on CNN) essentially STOPPED when Russert passed, which I have a big problem with. We have a near Katrina like disaster going on right now in Iowa, we have energy prices popping inflation up...and while I was teaching at a Summer camp and didn't have a ton of TV access when Peter Jennings died, I don't remember him having nearly as much same-day coverage dedicated to his life by ABC or any other network...maybe because that's the way he would have wanted it.

NBC kinda forgot this world existed and focused on themselves when Mr. Russert died. I remember in Boston when Natalie Jacobson retired--she is to Boston news what Russert is to national politics. WCVB did a lot of reflective coverage, but the final 6PM half-hour she anchored wasn't completely about her. When something like this happens, you need to have balance.

Here's a question--when Ronald Regan or Gerald Ford died, did Brokaw come in to anchor? I can't remember immediately, but if he didn't, or didn't within 24 hours, it may be indicative of where NBC's priorities are...for better or for worse.

-T

As far as I know Natalie Jacobson is still alive, Tim, Unfortunately is not. So there is NO comparison there. If NBC and MSNBC devoted that much time to the passing of Mr. Russert, so be it, Tim deserved it. Not that the Iowa floods and other news around the country aren't important, but the networks have been heavily covering the Iowa floods for the past two days or so. So there has been plenty of coverage there. The energy prices are going up, what else is new?. I think that NBC/MSNBC did the right thing by devoting their afternoon remembering Tim. May he Rest in Peace.

Overall, watching some of the coverage tonight, it just seems amazing to me how many lives he's touched in the business, let alone in the world outside of the media. While I may only have watched him during the election on MSNBC, he seemed like a guy who knew what he was talking about and deserves all our admiration.

Anyway, like I already said, hopefully his family, friends, and co-workers can make it through this time and continue doing what he would have likely wished them all to do.

I don't know who said it today but Tim Russert was a titan in Washington.

==

On that note, a titan has fallen and rocks have crumbled. Williams said it best on NBC (I think) that political coverage on NBC will never be the same. That in itself is a very strong statement about what the man did as a journalist. When he spoke on political coverage--I listened. And you'll notice that he was not interrupted (much) during coverage as other analyst/guests are.

Tim Russert, thank you for asking my questions.

Election years and Sunday mornings just won't feel right without Tim Russert.:( Thanks, Tim for all the great election nights and grilling all them politicians for the truth on Sunday Morning. You were truly one of a kind and legend in my book.

He was THE face of not only NBC News, but Meet The Press in general, I would take the time to give out my condolences to the folks of NBC News, MSNBC, and its parent NBC Universal. Tim was, in my opinion and in yours, one of the best moderators and journalists America has seen or heard. It's truly sad to hear of a great NBC legend like Tim Russert, being one the most outspoken, rather, but a good figure in all things politics, to be truly missed. I, and you, for one, will miss him very much.

Tim Russert 1950-2008 Rest In Peace

Hope that Tim is looking down on Washington D.C. Always

OMG. I can't believe this!!!! I can't believe he's gone so damn quick.

I can't think of any other person who rule a Sunday Morning Political program other than Tim Russert. My condolences goes to his family and all of NBC News.

R.I.P. Tim :(

Guest Former Member 207

Like everyone else...I'm was shocked and saddened of Mr. Russert's passing. I first saw the news on, of all places, the NFL Network. Just before 1pm my time (4pm Eastern), I saw a small crawl on their ticker, but it barely caught my attention...I initially thought that it something with the Bills bestowing some sort of honor for him, or something. Of course, I saw the NFL Network top of the hour newsflash, and they reported his death. Right after that, I flipped over to MSNBC and watched the coverage with Brokaw, Williams, and the other NBC News reporters.

As I'm writing this...I'm watching NBC's tribute, and it was a classy presentation. Fellow colleagues, politicians, friends, etc. spoke greatly of him. I admit, I never always watched Meet the Press, because it's on pretty early here in L.A., but I've seen him on other NBC News programs, and he's was good as any journalist out there.

Rest in peace, Mr. Russert

Wow, this just comes as a complete shock and utter disbelief for me... My god this is so unbelievable.... He was a legend, I just don't know what to say... He was not that old, are there any reports on how he died or is it too early to tell, because most sources are saying that he just collapsed, but anyway nonetheless it's a life that just ended too soon... My condolences go out to him and his family...

As I am typing this, MSNBC is replaying a special edition of Today with Matt Lauer and Fox is airing a special edition of Hannity and Colmes reflecting on the loss.

And all day long, MSNBC did a bold yet powerful tribute to him. And I for one will always be grateful, although I never watch the show.

I was watching MSNBC (I also currently am) and saw a Decision 2008 promo with Tom Brokaw, Kelly O'Donnell, David Gregory and many other members of NBC's political team. I was shocked that Tim wasn't in the promo. I am pretty sure they removed him from it, because he was a huge asset to their political team, and one of the head people on the team. (or the head person) Though he passed away, I still think he should be included because he did cover the 2008 election season right from the beginning and right up until the very second he died. Though he is not still with us, he did do a ton of work on this election and devoted much time to it.

Do you think NBC madee the right decision on taking Tim out or not putting him in this promo?

Do you think NBC madee the right decision on taking Tim out or not putting him in this promo?

If the decision was done out of respect for the fellow's family, they probably made the right decision. If this were an on-air promotion thanking the on-air staff of MSNBC for covering the presidential race over the past year, it would have been fine (and appropriate) to include him.

It's been taken off Wikipedia now, but earlier this week Tim Russert's article on the website claimed that Wikipedia, citing sources from an employee at Internet Broadcasting Services who run some of NBC's local websites, broke the news 30 minutes before NBC broke into the three networks to announce his death.

In that same paragraph, it mentioned the journalistic tradition where wire services and competing networks held off the public announcement of his death until NBC notified his family first, and then announcing the news themselves.

Quite a dick move by whoever did that on Wiki.

Archived