Ugh

Weeters

Today, I was playing with my tuner and managed to see a few minutes of WLS' 11AM broadcast. I saw this:

wlswindowid5.jpg

It's been over 6 months since someone ran into that window. Do they even plan on replacing it? :agree: It looks terrible.

Last I heard, they're deciding to do something almost completely different with that portion of the studio.

The interview set itself wasn't damaged (except for a couple books/knick-knacks getting knocked over) and was in use again in almost no time at all after the guy smashed into the studio; however, not too long ago, they've pretty much reconstructed a new interview set with a blue background.

Although CBS 2 posses no threat, they could be waiting for CBS 2 to unvail their new studios to see if there's a way to top that. I'm pretty sure WLS has something up their sleeve. WLS has the money in which that could have been completely fixed by now.

That blue background for the interview set is hideous!

I may be in the minority here but I don't really like ABC 7's backdrop of their news desk. I think it looks cheap with those blue panels and that ABC 7 logo in the middle. The only part I like is the Chicago skyline scene that they use on the 10pm broadcast, but I don't know why it doesn't cover the entire backdrop.

They need a big screen live monitor back there like KCBS uses to change the backdrop to different scenes...something more high tech than what they've got.

I think ABC 7 could really improve their look if they did what WPVI did here in Philly: change the backdrop to glass etchings of the city skyline and add lights that can shift to reflect the time of day. They (WLS) would benefit greatly from that.

I think ABC 7 could really improve their look if they did what WPVI did here in Philly: change the backdrop to glass etchings of the city skyline and add lights that can shift to reflect the time of day. They (WLS) would benefit greatly from that.

I agree. Something nice with the Chicago skyline would be great. I liked the blue backdrop in the old studio better than what they have now. That ABC 7 logo that sticks up just looks junkie and makes the backdrop shots behind the individual anchors look uneven...

You guys aren't the only ones thinking the same thing with WLS's backdrop..

One of the ideas thrown around is replacing the large main blue "control room" backdrop with a crisp clear Chicago skyline image. There would be a seperate daytime one and nighttime one. It would somewhat be like WBBM's current backdrop but looking more realistic. It would make the back of the set look much more like a large window. The panels with the ABC 7 logo directly behind the center of both anchors would remain but be made much more transparent so you can see the skyline backdrop through it. The backdrop panel behind the right side anchor (when looking at the front of the anchor desk) would just be replaced with a brighter crisper graphic based around the ABC 7 logo.

A refresh of the WLS set is really being considered..

Come to think of it, WLS could just buy WBBM's skyline backdrop at their auction.. That skyline backdrop is a bit larger than the opening at the back of WLS's set so sticking it there wouldn't be a problem. But WLS won't do that. WLS has to money to get a better new one.

Come to think of it, WLS could just buy WBBM's skyline backdrop at their auction.. That skyline backdrop is a bit larger than the opening at the back of WLS's set so sticking it there wouldn't be a problem. But WLS won't do that. WLS has to money to get a better new one.

I have never liked WBBM's cheap looking set. If really fails in comparison to what WCBS and KCBS had even before their newer high tech HD sets.

WCBS set is the same one from January 2003, only the main backdrop got replaced or painted with silver and the monitors were removed and backdrops of NYC were put on its place.

WCBS set is the same one from January 2003, only the main backdrop got replaced or painted with silver and the monitors were removed and backdrops of NYC were put on its place.

I noticed today at the end of WCBS's noon newscast that their backdrop looks pretty dark for the time of day. I guess they don't brighten or change it any for the daytime newscasts.

Archived