WMYD launches first newscast

detroittv313

WMYD (The MyNetworkTV affiliate in Detroit) is prepared to launch its first ever newscast called "TV 20 News at 10" The newscast will compete with its rival station, FOX Owned and Operated (O&O) WJBK. The newscast is slated to start this late-July.

Maybe, but if it does fail, it will be another dejavu of 2002 when WWJ-TV (the CBS O&O station) shut down its newscast after sister station WKBD (the CW O&O station) dropped theirs to have its newscast produced by WXYZ (the Scripps-owned ABC affiliate) before discontinuing it in 2004. WWJ is the only CBS O&O within the CBS Television Stations Group to not have a newscast because it wasn't intended to last long. Now they doing weather updates during The Early Show and at 11:00pm-11:02, I don't see WWJ doing another newscast in any or near future. But in your opinion, let us hope that WMYD's newscast will "crash-and-burn" like WWJ did.

KXJB is the CBS affiliate for Fargo/Valley City, North Dakota,

and

INN (Independent Network News) has been off-the-air since 1990.

I believe he meant KLJB (FOX 18) in Davenport, their the flagship station of the Independent News Network.

If this new Channel 20 newscast happens to be produce in Davenport, this show won't even last long.

I knew it! You guys are so right on this one. I checked the Independent News Network site and indeed, they produced newscasts for other stations as well.

Looks like I was wrong about WMYD producing its own newscast.

I tuned in the entire newscast, and its debut on WMYD is off to somewhat of a not-a-bad-start of a open. It opened and broadcast the news for Grant Broadcasting-owned Fox affiliate KLJB in Quad Cities for a few minutes, before showing the "myTV20" logo for 30 seconds, which then switched to news in progress.

Wow, it looks like the first broadcast didn't go that well. I had no idea what Independent News Network was until I read about it on their website. I know they produce the news from Davenport and it says that they use station reporters in each market to gather the local news and send it back to their headquarters, but their is only a few reporters listed on their website. Does this mean that each reporter for INN works in a seperate market or are their reporters and/or crews at the local TV station and then they send their stories back to Davenport?

Yep, say a one man band from detroit does a stroy, the reporter shoots and edits it then its fed back to davenport to be made into the mess..uh finest and cheapest newscast.

Sadly ABC Macon's website is no more, but you can check out the other INN affiliates websites (some do have pics of the anchors)

KLJB-TV: Davenport, Iowa (9 PM News) flagship station

WNCF: Montgomery, Alabama (10 PM News)

WVHF-CA: Southern Indiana & Louisville, Kentucky

KLAX-TV: Alexandria, Louisiana (6 PM and 10 PM News)

WPGA-TV: Macon, Georgia (7 PM and 11 PM Newscasts)

WGFL: Gainesville, Florida (INN National News and Weathercasts)

WLTZ: Columbus, Georgia (6 PM, 7 PM and 11 PM News)

WDRL: Roanoke, Virginia (INN National News and Weathercasts)

WZDX: Huntsville, Alabama (9pm News)

WMYD: Detroit, Michigan (10 PM News)

INN uses station reporters in each market (including Detroit) to cover local stories. The video and information is gathered and sent to Davenport. Its producers in conjuction with local staff to create the newscasts. The INN technical staff and anchors assemble the full newscast and deliver it to the station. Its services is delivered by satellite, fiber and IP technology.

• 1 month later...
Sadly ABC Macon's website is no more, but you can check out the other INN affiliates websites (some do have pics of the anchors)

ABC Macon's site is up again with a new look, even though it's only 25% complete, no pictures and one video. It's like a poor man's mix of MSNBC and CNN's website. :ack:

Old look: http://www.wltz.com

New Look: http://www.macon.tv

• 5 years later...

Can this station really be taken seriously? It isn't a major affiliate, then again, neither was CW and look at KTLA. They only have one newscast and I'm not even sure they cover spot news. And do they even have live capabilities!?

Its produced at Granite's affiliate in Ft. Wayne, IN, which is also where WMYD's master control is. I know they have reporters based in Detroit but I dont think they have live capabilities.

Archived