Disney looking to sell its O&O stations...

ProButtonPusher

I read a rumor on Wikipedia saying that WTVD, KFSN, WJRT and WTVG may be put on the market. But it was marked with a "citation needed".

I know that if ABC should sell anything, WJRT and WTVG have got to go. Why? Because in spite of their proximity to Detroit (ABC purchased both in the event WXYZ defected to CBS), the New World shakeups are over, and they're in quite small markets. Plus I can only imagine what ABC thinks of WJRT, considering what I've heard about Flint, it's an economically depressed city, and Toledo is currently the smallest market with an English-language network O&O (ION doesn't count).

You know Disney is cost-cutting when they think to sell ALL the O&Os of their own network. Not even NBC would do that. The profits will probably go to more money being shelled out for Miley marketing.

You know Disney is cost-cutting when they think to sell ALL the O&Os of their own network. Not even NBC would do that. The profits will probably go to more money being shelled out for Miley marketing.

Now that we know it's a rumor, that opens a door to speculation over what to do with the Miley/Jonas/HSM/Camp Rock/insert series or personality of your choice here windfalls.

Why not? That's what the need to do. Having O&Os in Raleigh and Flint isn't very smart. Of course FOX is still holding on to WOGX, so stupidity is bliss.

As far as Miley Cyrus, change the newscasts from Eyewitness News to Miley-Cast and watch the money roll in. Surely it will get that brain-dead 9-15 year-old demo Disney/ABC is looking for when not slavishly going after the 18-34 female demo the rest of the time.

WAVY-10, the proceeds will go to make ABC like the CW; cater to one sex, eliminate sports, turn into a less substantive version of Lifetime.

Why not? That's what the need to do. Having O&Os in Raleigh and Flint isn't very smart.

How is it not smart to have an O&O in Raleigh? Flint I can understand (there's not much in the way of money they can make there), but Raleigh's in the 20s. The other big three networks have O&Os in the 20s (CBS has KOVR, KDKA and WJZ, and NBC has KNSD and WVIT) and they aren't looking to divest them anytime soon (except WVIT).

I'm sure the economic downturn is responsible for these rumors about Disney divesting the O&Os, as well as the other networks' spree of sales. I'm sure when the economy goes back up the networks will wish they had more O&Os. More O&Os = more control of distribution of the network's programs (WSVN and WRDC's pre-emptions were cause for NBC to get O&Os in both their markets: WTVJ and WNCN respectively), and more profit.

How is it not smart to have an O&O in Raleigh? Flint I can understand (there's not much in the way of money they can make there), but Raleigh's in the 20s. The other big three networks have O&Os in the 20s (CBS has KOVR, KDKA and WJZ, and NBC has KNSD and WVIT) and they aren't looking to divest them anytime soon.

I agree. The Raleigh/Durham market is a growing area and WTVD's in a very close 2nd next to WRAL.

Okay, I'll give you Raleigh. What about Toledo and Flint? There's no explaining that travesty.

Unfortunately, that doesn't explain FOX and KDVR, KTVI, and WDAF. Low teens, 21, and 31, respectively.

I don't know about you, but I'd sure as heck keep stations in Denver, St. Louis & K.C., and certainly buy in markets 25 and up. Selling above market 30 makes about much sense as having an O&O in Ocala, FL; in market 135.

Okay, I'll give you Raleigh. What about Toledo and Flint? There's no explaining that travesty.

Like I said, ABC bought those two because of the New World shakeups. Proximity to Detroit would be the only reason to keep them, but they need to go on the selling block regardless. CBS didn't try to buy WTOL when they lost WJBK.

My rule for O&Os: if they're below market 50, drop them like hot coals. Also, networks should own at least 10, and put them in good-sized markets. Denver would be a good market, especially if you're courting the Hispanic market because we're ranked 16 on the Hispanic DMAs, as opposed to 18 on the English DMAs. As well as Houston; it's the fourth largest city in the country, fourth largest Hispanic DMA and 10th largest English DMA.

Also, I find it nonsensical that Fox would sell stations like WJW and KDVR while keeping stations like KTBC. I know they and KDFW are practically inseparable (in terms of ownership; they've gone through three different owners since Times-Mirror) but that's the kind of thing Fox doesn't care about.

How is it not smart to have an O&O in Raleigh? Flint I can understand (there's not much in the way of money they can make there), but Raleigh's in the 20s. The other big three networks have O&Os in the 20s (CBS has KOVR, KDKA and WJZ, and NBC has KNSD and WVIT) and they aren't looking to divest them anytime soon.

I'm sure the economic downturn is responsible for these rumors about Disney divesting the O&Os, as well as the other networks' spree of sales. I'm sure when the economy goes back up the networks will wish they had more O&Os. More O&Os = more control of distribution of the network's programs (WSVN and WRDC's pre-emptions were cause for NBC to get O&Os in both their markets: WTVJ and WNCN respectively), and more profit.

And the 3 NBC O&Os you mentioned, have been or in the process of being sold.

I know that if ABC should sell anything, WJRT and WTVG have got to go. Why? Because in spite of their proximity to Detroit (ABC purchased both in the event WXYZ defected to CBS), the New World shakeups are over, and they're in quite small markets. Plus I can only imagine what ABC thinks of WJRT, considering what I've heard about Flint, it's an economically depressed city, and Toledo is currently the smallest market with an English-language network O&O (ION doesn't count).

No. Fox O&O, WOGX in Gainesville, FL (#162), is currently the smallest market with and English-language O&O, excluding ION, Daystar, etc.

Isn't WOGX basically a satelite station for WOFL in Orlando? Or do they operate separately?

Some syndicated programming differs between the two stations. And some programs that are aired on both stations are aired at different times. WOGX is still considered as a semi-satellite station of WOFL (since WOGX's master controls come from Orlando) w/some alterations I've mentioned.

Archived