Broadcast HD Programming

bostonmediaguy

I'm trying to compile a list of all available national broadcast high-definition programming (outside of network prime). Does anyone have any additions or corrections?

Current and Fall 2008 Planned Broadcast HD Programs

ABC's World News (ABC)

CBS Evening News (CBS)

Dr. Phil (Syn-CBSTVD)

Ellen DeGeneres Show, The (Syn-WB)

Entertainment Tonight (Syn-CBSTVD)

Everybody Loves Raymond (Syn-CBSTVD)

Good Morning America (ABC)

Insider, The (Syn-CBSTVD)

Jeopardy! (Syn-CBSTVD)

King of Queens, The (Syn-Sony)

Late Night with Conan O'Brien (NBC)

Late Show with David Letterman, The (CBS)

NBC Nightly News (NBC)

Oprah (Syn-CBSTVD)

Price Is Right, The (CBS)

Seinfeld (Syn-Sony) (4x3 HD)

Star Trek (Syn-CBS)

Today (NBC)

Tonight Show with Jay Leno, The (NBC)

Two and a Half Men (Syn-WB)

View, The (ABC)

Wheel of Fortune (Syn-CBSTVD)

Young and the Restless, The (CBS)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Syndicated HD shows are highly dependent on stations abililty to pass non-network HD programming. As far as I know, KSDK is only station in St. Louis that can.

Star Trek (syn-CBS) should be passed in HD in many markets. KDNL doesn't. If it was network, no problem. This is going to trip up a few stations.

Syndicated HD shows are highly dependent on stations abililty to pass non-network HD programming. As far as I know, KSDK is only station in St. Louis that can.

Star Trek (syn-CBS) should be passed in HD in many markets. KDNL doesn't. If it was network, no problem. This is going to trip up a few stations.

I had actually double-checked "Star Trek" on the CBS site. The syndication package says SD only, but that could definitely be an error. Thanks for the info.

With regards to stations' problems with syndicated HD shows; you're absolutely right. I read that as recently as mid-June, the ABC stations still had not come up with a way to receive "Oprah" in HD.

Is Seinfeld going to be in widescreen this fall...or is it already? Here in Mobile, the station it's running on won't be turning on their HD signal until after the deadline because they signed on in 2001.

Other than network programming, no one else here is running any syndicated shows in HD...even Wheel and Jeopardy.

Hopefully WALA will get the equipment from CBSTVD to run all of their shows in HD...since they carry all of them.

It was in HD on CBS... and reruns air in HD on TBS.

I think it wasn't on HD on CBS...at least not the whole time. The mid 90s episodes are in HD, so I assume CBS converted whatever format it was filmed in, into HD.

Star Trek: It's been remastered in 4:3 HD, but I don't think *anyone* broadcasts it as such. Delivery to stations is usually via Pathfire, and I'm not quite sure that anyone has that yet for HD. The same issue affects a lot of syndicated shows. I'm at a CBS O&O duopoly, and the only HD syndicated show we air is Raymond, and that's got a special HD feed - something (feeds) that is disappearing as most shows go to Pathfire. I think they pay for the feed because of the sheer number of stations airing it.

Is Seinfeld going to be in widescreen this fall...or is it already? Here in Mobile, the station it's running on won't be turning on their HD signal until after the deadline because they signed on in 2001.

Other than network programming, no one else here is running any syndicated shows in HD...even Wheel and Jeopardy.

Hopefully WALA will get the equipment from CBSTVD to run all of their shows in HD...since they carry all of them.

The HD Seinfeld episodes are 4:3 HD. Not 16.9 HD but still HD.

The Star Trek episodes on HD-DVD are 4:3 HD. It's a wierd format but HD can be 4:3. Seinfeld was taped on Film and Sony used telecine equipment to make an HD version for syndication. Film has a much higher resolution than HD.

It's a wierd format but HD can be 4:3.

If you really believe 'HD can be 4:3,' please let the ATSC engineers who developed the high-definition standard know this. They seem to think:

"High-definition television has a resolution of approximately twice that of conventional television in both the horizontal (H) and vertical (V) dimensions and a picture aspect ratio (H × V) of 16:9."

See page 9 of the document below:

http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_53-Part-1-6-2007.pdf

or refer to this:

http://www.atsc.org/faq/faq_general.html

It's the 16x9 that makes HDTV HDTV.

That's what I thought. A cursory search of 4:3 HD on Google and Yahoo hasn't turned up much, so I was kinda curious when it was mentioned that there was such a thing.

If you really believe 'HD can be 4:3,' please let the ATSC engineers who developed the high-definition standard know this. They seem to think:

"High-definition television has a resolution of approximately twice that of conventional television in both the horizontal (H) and vertical (V) dimensions and a picture aspect ratio (H × V) of 16:9."

See page 9 of the document below:

http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_53-Part-1-6-2007.pdf

or refer to this:

http://www.atsc.org/faq/faq_general.html

Just to throw another point into the fire - Japan is currently working on developing a ultra hi-def television. According to a B E article, it should make a premier in 10 years or less. It is supposed to blow the pixels off even hd.

The Star Trek episodes on HD-DVD are 4:3 HD. It's a wierd format but HD can be 4:3. Seinfeld was taped on Film and Sony used telecine equipment to make an HD version for syndication. Film has a much higher resolution than HD.

Personally I want to see Family Guy animated in 16:9 imagine all the fun the shows writers would have with that. Speaking of fun with 16:9, in 2005 My Name is Earl did a widescreen gag for its digital TV viewers.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2005/10/04/my-name-is-earl-in-hd-rocks

Most animation producers in America prefer 4.3 since it's supposedly easier to draw. 16:9 would be nice for the HD fox channels but there are still people who have 4:3 SDTV's. Seth MacFairlane says no but it could happen. The Japanese anime studios are pretty much all 16:9 HD. Then again Japan has the best technology right?

• 2 weeks later...

Ellen is going HD this Monday. She moved from NBC Burbank to Warner Bros. I'm sure all of you guys know this, lol. The 'EllenCam' though, is back. And unfortunately, they have the same set. =/ They just added some plants to it.

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/show/ellencam/cam2.php

It'll be exciting to see how everything looks in HD though, I had been wondering when it was going to happen and now it is. Same with Entertainment Tonight, since they too are going HD this Monday. They're graphics are already amazing, and they probably look even better in HD.

Don't know about Family Guy but TBS is now showing the newly 'remastered' Seinfeld in HD. Sony used the original film masters (which is higher resolution than standard HD content), cropped the roughly 4:3 image to 16:9 and have made it available via syndication.

Family Guy and Seinfeld are in (or at least seem to be) in 16x9 HD on TBS HD. Both shows don't have the same stretched look that other TBS HD shows have. But then again, I could be wrong.

then in that case...wouldn't the final resolution be somewhere close to 480P?

It's the 16x9 that makes HDTV HDTV.

No, not necessarily. It's the resolution that makes HDTV high definition, not the aspect ratio.

Northern Exposure has been shown in 4:3 original aspect ratio (OAR) on Universal HD, and yes, it's in high definition. Same goes with Hogan's Heroes on HDNet, except they crop it a little so it's actually in 14:9, with slimmer black bars along the sides. The image you see is still in 1920 x 1080i, but with black bars along the sides.

As for Seinfeld on TBS, it was shot on 35mm film which roughly equates to a 4:3 picture. When Sony remastered it in HD, they decided to crop the image so it would fill the 16:9 frame. Some videophiles think this is the wrong way to go, since you're technically losing part of the image that the director intended you to see.

Here in Mobile, not a single syndicated show is being carried in HD by any of the local stations.

I'm sure this is an issue in smaller markets outside of the Eastern or Pacific time zones that don't have the capability or the money to carry (and time-shift) HD programming. But here, I'll place the blame on cheap ownership of the stations here. You would think the program providers would help make their shows HD in a particular market.

Archived