Broadcast HD Programming

bostonmediaguy

Ellen is going HD this Monday. She moved from NBC Burbank to Warner Bros. I'm sure all of you guys know this, lol. The 'EllenCam' though, is back. And unfortunately, they have the same set. =/ They just added some plants to it.

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/show/ellencam/cam2.php

It'll be exciting to see how everything looks in HD though, I had been wondering when it was going to happen and now it is. Same with Entertainment Tonight, since they too are going HD this Monday. They're graphics are already amazing, and they probably look even better in HD.

Oprah also went HD! It looks amazing!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Desperate Housewives are now available in HD syndication. Same thing with Stargate Atlantis or SG-1. Also Legend of the Seeker is a new Syndicated show thats also in HD if the station is willing to buy it. I hope KSWB gets some HD syndication equipment for 2 1/2 men and Legend of the Seeker. Would be a good thing for them. House is also in syndication by NBCU not 20th century. A rep for NBCU says maybe next year.

WESH/WKCF and WFTV/WRDQ have equipment to broadcast HD syndicated programs

CSI (WKCF)

CSI: Miami (WFTV/WRDQ)

Ellen (WESH)

Entertainment Tonight (WESH)

Everybody Loves Raymond (WKCF)

Insider (WRDQ)

Jeopardy (WFTV)

Lost (WRDQ)

Oprah (WFTV/WRDQ)

Wheel of Fortune (WFTV)

WKMG and WOFL/WRBW does not have equipment to broadcast HD syndicated programs (WOFL/WRBW does have the capability of airing non-network live HD broadcasts though because WOFL airs Mike and Juliet and both air college football from Raycom in HD). They probably do not have the proper recording and playback equipment necessary to air the following in HD

Desparate Housewives (WRBW)

Dr. Phil (WKMG)

Legend of The Seeker (WKMG)

Two and Half Men (WRBW)

Here in Mobile, not a single syndicated show is being carried in HD by any of the local stations.

I'm sure this is an issue in smaller markets outside of the Eastern or Pacific time zones that don't have the capability or the money to carry (and time-shift) HD programming. But here, I'll place the blame on cheap ownership of the stations here. You would think the program providers would help make their shows HD in a particular market.

Update...WEAR is now showing Ellen & The Insider in HD. Raycom Sports is also carrying SEC games in HD on WJTC.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, from what I read, NBC recently upgraded its Burbank location that allows them to play HD shows and commercials. Ellen is shown on KNSD as well as on KNBC in L.A. so it was much easier to get Ellen shown in HD in San Diego than Wheel/Jeopardy. Wheel and Jeopardy might be shown in HD later this year or early next year. Hopefully this is a step closer to HD news.

Well, from what I read, NBC recently upgraded its Burbank location that allows them to play HD shows and commercials.

Wait....NBC Network out of Burbank? They've been able to do HD programming for a while for the Network out of Burbank - When New York is off, Burbank is running the shows (if you ever notice on your local affiliates that the HD is ahead of the SD, NBC is originating from Burbank)

Wait....NBC Network out of Burbank? They've been able to do HD programming for a while for the Network out of Burbank - When New York is off, Burbank is running the shows (if you ever notice on your local affiliates that the HD is ahead of the SD, NBC is originating from Burbank)

What I meant to say is that the new servers allow NBC to distribute syndicated shows and commercials in HD to its O&O's.

What I meant to say is that the new servers allow NBC to distribute syndicated shows and commercials in HD to its O&O's.

WNBC has no syndicated shows in HD, however. Ellen is in SD.

Well' date=' from what I read, NBC recently upgraded its Burbank location that allows them to play HD shows and commercials. Ellen is shown on KNSD as well as on KNBC in L.A. so it was much easier to get Ellen shown in HD in San Diego than Wheel/Jeopardy. Wheel and Jeopardy might be shown in HD later this year or early next year. Hopefully this is a step closer to HD news.[/quote']

WRC and WCAU are both in the HD news process. They are using the HD graphics for KNSD's newscast. So KNSD could be after WRC and WCAU.

Thats a characteristic of the splicer. All Fox stations use the splicer for HD. The splicer switches back to the station logo. The Fox HD bug has been out for a couple of months. So it's now new.

• 3 weeks later...

NBC has upgraded KNSD to do HD syndication. Ellen is in HD now WOF and Jeopardy are now in HD. WOF went HD last night. Jeopardy will be in HD tonight. KNBC and KNSD share the same master control.

Archived