WNBC dumbs network coverage

TrfRptr

Could somebody please explain to my why-on-earth WNBC decided to dumb [sic] national coverage of the convention last night (Wed.)???

10:59:59 hit and they immediately cut from Denver to their opening block (which was recapping the days Convention events anyway).

They were the only affiliate in New York to do this. Thank goodness I have cable and was able to switch to the other (MS)NBC coverage. I can't imagine why it was important for them to be "on-schedule" for the late news and late night programming.

Not to mention, WNBC is classic for making the top story what I just watched on the exact channel (see: Olympics).

Thats odd because I was watching NBC's coverage on my local station, WJAC-TV in Johnstown PA, and the network continued until about 11:08 or around then and then after they signed off, the local news started. The Tonight Show didn't air until 11:40 or so. Hopefully WNBC doesn't cut away from Barack Obama's historic speech tonight.

Notorious WNBC!

Besides, network programming is scheduled to end at 11:00 EST. If the network was running late and showing stuff not worth watching (i.e. a day in review video montage), why not cut back to local programming?

That sounds like automation to me. If it happened on the exact second of 11:00:00, it would seem that someone forgot to set the machine not to flip to local. WNBC, WCAU and WVIT are master controlled out of 30 rock and I do believe it is an automated operation (but don't hold me to it).

Notorious WNBC!

Besides, network programming is scheduled to end at 11:00 EST.

Normally, but NBC went until 11:08...they dicked the affiliates over by going on at 12:40 AM some nights (Central Time), so 11:08 is nothing compared to that. Plus, they gave the stations their whole 35 minutes, so and WNBC (probably) had no idea that NBC was going long, so they probably had to stretch, unless they over produced their newscast.

I figured as much.

I'll admit, I only meant to make the reference in the body of the message, not the title.

======

I can't see how WNBC wouldn't know NBC was going long. Master Control operators are constantly updated on in/out times of network programming. I find it awfully hard to believe that NBC was "out of the loop" when Channel 4 offices are "two doors down" from HQ. I think somebody made a really bad decision. NBC ran over Tuesday night and WNBC didn't take early, so I really think they made a poor decision last night.

I'll check in tonight and see if they do it again (pending NBC running long).

I saw some glitching on WCAU last night when watching the 11pm news. They went to commercial, then to another one, then abruptly back to NBC... then I think to commercial.

So yeah, it's most likely an automation problem.

As much as NBC communicates with its affiliates, Wednesday's extension of the DNC sort of threw everyone off a bit because we predicted it, but we weren't sure that how long it would be or if it would even happen. Most affiliates did properly take the DNC all the way through.

So? Did the world end because of that? I bet if it was WABC then it would be all right because WABC can't do anything wrong.

LOL, Indeed. WABC is after all the best station in the world so it'll definitely be ok if they did it, Amra, lol. No but all in reality, WNBC probably just had technical issues and a simple programing errors its happened before, could've happened to WABC, WNBC, WNYW, did WNBC acknowledge their error during the 11PM broadcast?

LOL, Indeed. WABC is after all the best station in the world so it'll definitely be ok if they did it, Amra, lol. No but all in reality, WNBC probably just had technical issues and a simple programing errors its happened before, could've happened to WABC, WNBC, WNYW, did WNBC acknowledge their error during the 11PM broadcast?

I was being sarcastic with that reply.

Archived