Gentleman, Deal or No Deal made Television History

justin2kx

= GREAT MOMENTS IN TELEVISION HISTORY =

The Federal Radio Commission issues the first television station license (W3XK) to Charles Jenkins.

Cable television is introduced in Pennsylvania as a means of bringing television to rural areas.

Ampex introduces the first practical videotape system of broadcast quality.

Most TV broadcasts are in color.

The FCC approves ATSC's HDTV standard.

A woman wins $26.53 (after taxes) in the television guessing game, Deal or No Deal. The show would be cancelled a mere two episodes later.

Would've been a lot more fun had NBC decided not to remind us during every single commercial break, and then they even told viewers during the show to keep watching for the big win.

I shouldn't be told to watch someone win a million dollars.

I watched last night's DOND episode with those constant bumpers about "history being made" and "history is about to happen". I was stunned to see all those bumpers. I wasn't even thrilled (yet, I'm happy) that she won the million. But those bumpers were very uncalled for. Hell, they'd even timed it (47 mins, 32 mins...) when the she won the million, like they want the whole nation to see the big win. That took the excitement away from watching the show. If they'd did a very different approach with the promos, then that would've been more exciting. If anything, bring some hardcore suspense on promos. Last week when they showed the promo on yesterday's show, and this was also a throw-off, they showed the models coming to the contestant table with all that confetti coming down. That's how you completely ruin a show.

The day that I would really be excited to see someone winning the million on Deal is when the game doesn't have any gimmicks, no Winner-Take-All, no Million Dollar Mission, no spin of the wheel (to double or triple up their dollars, or cutting it in half), absolutely nothing extra.

= GREAT MOMENTS IN TELEVISION HISTORY =

A woman wins $26.53 (after taxes) in the television guessing game, Deal or No Deal. The show would be cancelled a mere two episodes later.

Too funny, ElliotJones. Great moment...nah, more of a "had to happen sooner or later" one.

I don't see how it's television history when other shows have given away $1mil before...

Here in California, we've got a show produced by the state lottery called the big spin, airing every weekend, people there win millions all the time! They play a scratcher card, and get a chance to be on the show! So this is really nothing new!

Of course sadly after the all the excitement calmed down, Howie Mandel informed the woman she had in fact had only won the sign in the briefcase that says "$1,000,000." The reason why the banker was so depressed is that the company that makes replacements of those signs went out of business in late 2007 because of the recession :ack:

I remember John Carpenter's million dollar win on WWTBAM was spoiled shortly before it aired, and I also remember the same happened for Kevin Olmstead's $2.18 million dollar win in 2001 as well. Hopefully the syndicated DoND will hopefully be a normal show insted of the overspoiled, overgimmicked crap it is on NBC.

speaking of jumping the shark, way back this january, "1 vs. 100" had the first (and only) mllion dollar winner but not until they spoiled the million dollar surprise in a promo last december.

Just found out not too long ago 1 vs. 100 got axed.

Archived