Ch. 2 shuffles anchor deck again

sg9018

Roseanne Tellez returns to 5am newscasts. Don Schwenneker will co-anchor with her on the 5 and 11 am newscasts.Susan Carlson will return to morning traffic. Rob Johnson and Anne State will anchor the 5,6 and 10pm newscasts.The changes start monday. The changes will happen a week before the high-definition newscasts.

More in the Tribune,

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-phil-rosenthal-channel-2-anchors-sep8,0,2380399.story

Wow!!! That was a little unexpected. Why do they have Don S. anchoring? Here in the Pittsburgh area, we liked him as a meteorologist, but I don't know about him anchoring. I would watch on the internet from time to time and I thought that Jim Williams was a pretty good anchor, so I don't think that Don S. would be any better.

I'm glad Susan Carlson will be returning to morning traffic. I missed her. I'm a little surprised that Don will be anchoring. What about the weather? I assume Steve Baskerville will be doing the 5pm as well as 6 and 10. My only concern is that Mary Kay Kleist is working weekend mornings AND evenings. That seems to be overkill, for me. Move Don back to weekend mornings. You think Ed will still do mornings and weekdays? I hope so. I'm really pulling for CBS 2's HD launch. I want them to do well, and they will. I have faith in them.

WBBM should hire Steve Bartelstein from WCBS, he and Roseanne would really hit it up. Poor Jim, he thought he got rid of Mai and now is put back with her again. Maybe CBS 2 should change Mai and move Dana Kozlov or somebody else to anchor with him.

Joe Ahern continues to show he's not as inept as his first 5 years at Channel 2 would lead us to think. Mary Ann Childers' departure aside, showing Antonio Mora, Diann Burns and Mark Malone the exit door were the first steps in the right direction. I always wanted those 3 gone, albeit replaced with different choices (hint: my avatar), but Rob Johnson, Anne State and Ryan Baker are a breath of fresh air (not to sound cliche). Of course it goes without saying Steve Baskerville's in the right spot. All in all, the chemistry and camaraderie on that 10pm desk is light years from where it was with that wrteched old lot.

Only days away, the new building will actually be a reality, culiminating years of wishing and waiting under many failed management teams unable to get the ball moving. Like him or not, and maybe things took a bit longer than expected, Joe Ahern got it done. And there's much hope the new digs will be the beginning of a bright new chapter for the station - and an end to all the disappointing ones over the last say, 25 years.

And now with these changes just announced today, Channel 2's anchors and dayparts match more sensibly, positioning the debut for a more effective launch. Not sure about Don Schwenneker as morning anchor, but I have warmed up to him as a meteorologist as of late (was that punny?) if u can believe it. It sure will be nice to have Susan Carlson back on traffic in a larger role again, and to see the rest of the morning crew back together - well, almost :(

Jim Williams and Kristyn Hartman are evening anchors anyway, but it's a shame Kristyn won't be joining him when he moves back to weekends, and I think we all know why *that* is. It's especially upsetting considering how bad Mai Martinez is and the lack of rapport Jim has with her. And how well Jim & Kristyn work together.

Kinda feel bad for Derrick Blakley, demoted again. I actually like him with Anne State and as a morning anchor - for a while I've been thinking Derrick Blakley & Susan Carlson as the morning team. But he is a darn good reporter so I hope his profile will be raised there.

I'd love to see Susan back on weekend mornings anchoring as well as weekday morning traffic. I loved her on "CBS 2 @ Your Desk." It's a shame that they took that away. Well, at least Ed Curran will still be on the mornings and midday.

So they're going from plan b that didn't work to plan a that didn't work which led to plan b.

Anyone get the sense that the end is near and the managers know it. I can guess that they were told November better show a huge improvement or that's it.

Realistically , Ahern will no longer be needed now that the ch.7 knockoff building/set is done.

Fowler who threw all her friends/hires under the bus to save herself remains clueless after 6 years.

I am not a business expert but it seems like the station is poorly managed.

When you have been in the toilet for 6 years it's time to take a look at who's around you. Meaning maybe those producers, reporters, anchors , promo people, and tech people aren't the best. If i had producers pulling in 1's and very low 2's and couldn't get rid of the talent then i would shake up my producing staff.

Or maybe it's time to hire a special projects ep who is in touch with today's must see sweeps pieces.

If i have to see a pyrex story one more time im going to scream. I get it they're dangerous - move on.

At the end of the day you can build a new building with a new set but it won't bring in the viewers. A newscast is like a buffet. There is something for everyone.

If Ahern/Fowler/CBS think the shows are fine then they don't get it.

And how do we know they don't get it -- look at 6 years of bad ratings.

NBC 5 proves that with the right people you can win. Look how many times they beat WLS at 10pm in the past.

Look at how the afternoons rebounded after the placement of Dr. Phil at ch.2

I get the sense that people at WBBM are divided. The veterans , who dislike what Ahern has done to the place. The Fowler loyalists , who don't measure up but will do whatever they have to - to keep their jobs.

That's why when new managers do come in - anyone attatched to Ahern/Fowler will be removed. And that's when CBS 2 will finally begin to turn itself around.

I think they could air the national broadcast of the CBS Morning News from 5-7am with local weather segments and get the same ratings they do now. They're likely going to end up like CBS owned WWJ in Detroit that doesn't have local newscasts or at least stop doing morning and midday newscasts.

Archived