Local TV/Tribune merge (Denver, STL stations)

jhampsten

Well not exactly, but they might as well call it a merger, at least in Denver and St Louis

Denver situation both KWGN (Tribune) and KDVR(local TV) will broadcast news out of KDVR's studios and newsroom. Separate newscasts, Separate sales staffs well for now at least, but will share news gathering resources. In st Louis, KPLR(tribune) and KTVI(Local TV) will operate out of KPLR's newer digs at Lindbergh and Page avenue in West county Suburb of Maryland Heights. Again same situation as in Denver, Separate newscasts, sales staff, but all in one building.

news from Denver: http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment_old/ci_10480272

and from STL: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/FBB72329E85ADB2B862574C70004EC36?OpenDocument

Well not exactly, but they might as well call it a merger, at least in Denver and St Louis

Denver situation both KWGN (Tribune) and KDVR(local TV) will broadcast news out of KDVR's studios and newsroom. Separate newscasts, Separate sales staffs well for now at least, but will share news gathering resources. In st Louis, KPLR(tribune) and KTVI(Local TV) will operate out of KPLR's newer digs at Lindbergh and Page avenue in West county Suburb of Maryland Heights. Again same situation as in Denver, Separate newscasts, sales staff, but all in one building.

news from Denver: http://www.denverpost.com/entertainment_old/ci_10480272

and from STL: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/FBB72329E85ADB2B862574C70004EC36?OpenDocument

This sucks. Especially in the case of KWGN and KDVR. I know The CW's programming sucks for the most part but I'm hoping this doesn't mean KWGN gets landed with the Fox affiliation. And they'd better leave News2 This Morning alone! Good Day sucks!

Zell's a bastard sometimes. He's even trying to get naming rights for Wrigley Field!

This sucks. Especially in the case of KWGN and KDVR. I know The CW's programming sucks for the most part but I'm hoping this doesn't mean KWGN gets landed with the Fox affiliation. And they'd better leave News2 This Morning alone! Good Day sucks!

Zell's a bastard sometimes. He's even trying to get naming rights for Wrigley Field!

KWGN will not be getting the FOX affiliation, KDVR is stuck with it as per the terms of the sale to Local TV. However, don't be surprised if you see News Operations at KWGN cut back in favor of the more profitable KDVR.

Same thing in St. Louis, don't be surprised if the news op at 11 is eliminated completly.

KWGN will not be getting the FOX affiliation, KDVR is stuck with it as per the terms of the sale to Local TV. However, don't be surprised if you see News Operations at KWGN cut back in favor of the more profitable KDVR.

Same thing in St. Louis, don't be surprised if the news op at 11 is eliminated completly.

Probably, especially since KPLR's newscast is at 7 now (that's going to be hard to get used to) KTVI can produce the new 7:00 newscast for KPLR, kind of like how KCPQ produces news for sister station KMYQ at 8.

reading the article from Denver, it looks like the morning newscasts will go head to head just like it is. that could be interesting to see how that turns out.

OK I need to rehash my comment. NO affilates will swap, this is a sharing of building and the news staff only. sorry if that was at first confusing to y'all.

also I don't see KPLR shutting down, in fact just reading the covers of the story, if anything KPLR may add a newscast in this deal. but who knows what's going to happen. question is does anyone know what studio space at the stations getting a new neighbor, will they share the studio, have separate studios for each channel, that's the big question. I wouldn't think that channel 2 would ditch their still pretty new studio that's only 2 years old now at the old studios in the city, I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

reading the article from Denver, it looks like the morning newscasts will go head to head just like it is. that could be interesting to see how that turns out.

OK I need to rehash my comment. NO affilates will swap, this is a sharing of building and the news staff only. sorry if that was at first confusing to y'all.

also I don't see KPLR shutting down, in fact just reading the covers of the story, if anything KPLR may add a newscast in this deal. but who knows what's going to happen. question is does anyone know what studio space at the stations getting a new neighbor, will they share the studio, have separate studios for each channel, that's the big question. I wouldn't think that channel 2 would ditch their still pretty new studio that's only 2 years old now at the old studios in the city, I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

The building KTVI is in is fairly old and not capable of expansion. It is also in an area with a lot of development planned due to its proximity to Forest Park and the hospitals. KPLR has a fairly new facility in Maryland Heights that it moved into in 2002. So if there would be consolidation of news operations, it would be to KPLR's studios in Maryland Heights. I think that moving the studios is a lot cheaper than modernizing all of the station equipment.

One thing that puts them at a disadvantage is location. All the other stations are still in the City of St. Louis and therefore have a close proximity to everything. It will be more difficult to do news from Illinois if the station is based in the western suburbs.

And as far as Denver is concerned, maybe now KDVR will get rid of that awfully dated set that they have (if they still have it). I don't think they ever replaced that set since the news on KDVR started.

BIG mistake.

Zell has delivered a low blow...especially when there is stiff competition between the two stations. It's absolutely foolish for two competitors to use the SAME newsroom in any market, much less Denver and St. Louis. I mean, KTVI and KDVR are Fox O&O's for crying out loud!

BIG mistake.

Zell has delivered a low blow...especially when there is stiff competition between the two stations. It's absolutely foolish for two competitors to use the SAME newsroom in any market, much less Denver and St. Louis. I mean, KTVI and KDVR are Fox O&O's for crying out loud!

No they aren't that's the point. KTVI and KDVR are owned by Local TV, which has no connections to Fox, now which has a deal with Tribune Broadcasting to share their resources.

The building KTVI is in is fairly old and not capable of expansion. It is also in an area with a lot of development planned due to its proximity to Forest Park and the hospitals. KPLR has a fairly new facility in Maryland Heights that it moved into in 2002. So if there would be consolidation of news operations, it would be to KPLR's studios in Maryland Heights. I think that moving the studios is a lot cheaper than modernizing all of the station equipment.

One thing that puts them at a disadvantage is location. All the other stations are still in the City of St. Louis and therefore have a close proximity to everything. It will be more difficult to do news from Illinois if the station is based in the western suburbs.

yes I know that KTVI's studio is well ancient compaired to everyone else espically with KPLR's digs. I was meaning the studio set, not the building. Actually Fox spent a lot of money on that set job to help channel 2 become more modern i do believe. I figured that a new building was going to come soon no matter what, as their building is some 50 years old, and also there was some disco towards the beginning of the hwy 40 project that their studios would be one of the properties bought out in the Hampton interchange project. Also a reason why this is starting so soon, is that the Hampton interchange closes down monday morning, so to lessen any problems in getting to the station. just my guess on that though.

yes I know that KTVI's studio is well ancient compaired to everyone else espically with KPLR's digs. I was meaning the studio set, not the building. Actually Fox spent a lot of money on that set job to help channel 2 become more modern i do believe. I figured that a new building was going to come soon no matter what, as their building is some 50 years old, and also there was some disco towards the beginning of the hwy 40 project that their studios would be one of the properties bought out in the Hampton interchange project. Also a reason why this is starting so soon, is that the Hampton interchange closes down monday morning, so to lessen any problems in getting to the station. just my guess on that though.

I would agree with that. It's going to be a nightmare for KTVI to get around anywhere with the Hampton overpass shutting down. But like I said, my guess is that Local TV thinks it would be more cost effective for KTVI to move their set to Maryland Heights rather than to make the upgrade and improvements to their current building. It will be interesting to see what happens.

One thing I must ask that maybe has be addressed before, but could this be a begining to maybe Local TV swallowing up Tribune Broadcasting (or visa versa) and then launching their own ad hoc mini netlet using "WGN AMERICA" as a template thereby replacing CW ??

I know its somewhat bizarre, but nowadays NOTHING is impossible , not even in this new era of Local TV

• 3 weeks later...

and the blood starts flowing on the axes.

20 fired by KPLR including Chief met Karyn Shipman, and Main Anchor Rick Edlund. Both have been asked to stay till after November sweeps, but may not do so. KTVI firings will come tomorrow reportedly.

Also KPLR will move into Fox 2's digs at Hampton and hwy 40 after the November sweeps so that their digs at Westport can be expanded for separate studios and the like at KPLR in West county. Planned move date is for Feb.

also On air ANCHORS will remain separate between KPLR and KTVI, however reporters that could be a different story. and no word on Weather dept, but my guess is that the weather folks will work both stations, with KPLR's only met getting the axe.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm back home from college and was able to catch KPLR's 7PM newscast. A few things struck me as interesting. One was that the anchor for the night was Dan Gray who is the anchor at 5PM on KTVI. Another thing was that it looked like it was being produced at KTVI's building in a different studio. However even with this merging of operations, KPLR was able to recruit John Fuller from KSDK who were kicking him out at the time.

I guess what I am saying is that I am surprised at how quick the news operations are merging and what is the latest overall with that because I've not been able to keep up while I was away. What will happen to folks like sports anchor Rich Gould and John Fuller who they just hired as these operaton merge? Do you guys think we'll see them on KTVI somewhere down the road?

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm back home from college and was able to catch KPLR's 7PM newscast. A few things struck me as interesting. One was that the anchor for the night was Dan Gray who is the anchor at 5PM on KTVI. Another thing was that it looked like it was being produced at KTVI's building in a different studio. However even with this merging of operations, KPLR was able to recruit John Fuller from KSDK who were kicking him out at the time.

I guess what I am saying is that I am surprised at how quick the news operations are merging and what is the latest overall with that because I've not been able to keep up while I was away. What will happen to folks like sports anchor Rich Gould and John Fuller who they just hired as these operaton merge? Do you guys think we'll see them on KTVI somewhere down the road?

Keryn Shipman and Rick Edlund were axed. Dan Gray is now the anchor for the 7pm news. Not sure if he is still anchoring the 5pm news on Fox 2. Tom O'Neal has been anchoring it for the past couple of weeks. Also, they are now doing the News Edge at 6pm as well as still at 10pm. I don't know whats going on there. Right now they are doing the 7pm news in Studio B at Fox 2, so they can redo the studios at the KPLR building, to accommodate both stations. I don't think that we will see the sports and weather department overlapping, but you never know.

• 2 months later...
Keryn Shipman and Rick Edlund were axed. Dan Gray is now the anchor for the 7pm news. Not sure if he is still anchoring the 5pm news on Fox 2. Tom O'Neal has been anchoring it for the past couple of weeks. Also, they are now doing the News Edge at 6pm as well as still at 10pm. I don't know whats going on there. Right now they are doing the 7pm news in Studio B at Fox 2, so they can redo the studios at the KPLR building, to accommodate both stations. I don't think that we will see the sports and weather department overlapping, but you never know.

Dan aired the 6PM news I thought at KTVI. anyway the whole shabang is complete, KTVI has moved to the KPLR HQ in Maryland Heights. as small as KTVI's studio was on berthold I think it is EVEN SMALLER than what it was on Berthold. or maybe it's just me but from what I seen on my TV last night, the PQ is a LOT better with the HD news, even on my SD screen. maybe it's because my provider(dish network) is using the KTVI-dt signal now with the digital transition coming, but the look is better on the PQ wise, but it seriously looks like they packed everything in there like a pack of sardines.

Yes, they brought their set, but it has been modified a bit.

I also noticed on the website that they got new graphics too. Are they in HD now too?

Update:

Yep, they're in HD as of February 15 as well as sister station KPLR. I guess that's the day they moved from Berthold Avenue to Maryland Heights.

This means that all the St. Louis news stations are now in HD since KDNL doesn't have a newscast.

I also noticed on the website that they got new graphics too. Are they in HD now too?

Update:

Yep, they're in HD as of February 15 as well as sister station KPLR. I guess that's the day they moved from Berthold Avenue to Maryland Heights.

This means that all the St. Louis news stations are now in HD since KDNL doesn't have a newscast.

KTVI did indeed change their graphics, but KPLR's graphics are pretty much the same, with just a little tweaking.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still underwhelmed by KPLR's graphics.

Additional: KPLR will start a noon newscast on April 6, with longtime KPLR'er Christine Buck (daughter of Jack Buck, sister of Joe Buck), and John Fuller.

The new newscast will be an hour long, like KSDK.

KPLR's studio is the worst studio. Ever. You can see the freaking bolts in that awful clear plastic backdrop. I can only imagine how awful it looks in HD.

video: ugh

I think it may have cost as much as $5,000.00... maybe a little more with union labor.

I'm still underwhelmed by KPLR's graphics.

Additional: KPLR will start a noon newscast on April 6, with longtime KPLR'er Christine Buck (daughter of Jack Buck, sister of Joe Buck), and John Fuller.

The new newscast will be an hour long, like KSDK.

Something tells me the noon newscast won't succeed. They hardly do any promotion for their 7 PM news as it is. Unless they start doing a lot of promotions for them, no one will know about them unless they flip past it. KPLR is definately the black sheep in this group. It's a shame what a state they are in now.

I do hope the best for KPLR though.

The unthinkable has happened, KDVR has finally gotten a new set in preparation for HD after using the one they had for many years. I think it may be the one from when they first started producing newscasts, but I'm not sure. The old set looked horrendously dated though. The new set however, looks pretty sleek and from the videos I saw on their website.

Something tells me the noon newscast won't succeed. They hardly do any promotion for their 7 PM news as it is. Unless they start doing a lot of promotions for them, no one will know about them unless they flip past it. KPLR is definately the black sheep in this group. It's a shame what a state they are in now.

I do hope the best for KPLR though.

Surprisingly, KPLR is doing reasonably well at 7pm, more than likely better than they were when they were competing with stablemate KTVI.

Archived