Major changes to KOIN

Casey Buck

Yesterday, KOIN (CBS affiliate for Portland) completely changed its logo, name, set, graphics, and music package. Instead of being known as KOIN News 6, it's now known as KOIN Local 6.

Old logo:

KOIN_6_Portland.jpg

New logo:

Koinlocal6.jpg

Also, here's a YouTube clip of the 6 PM news open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNuVFwMzEFY

I wasn't really a fan of their previous look, but these graphics are bland.

KOIN (along with the other stations in the market, save for KGW) broadcasts their news in 16:9 SD. I doubt that's changed with this new graphics package. I do like the open, but the lower third graphics leave a lot to be desired. They don't look like they mesh with the rest of the graphics package that well.

I don't know about anyone else, but I initially got the feeling that this is a John Christopher Burns design. It looks like he's back doing some new stuff, since it appears as if KIMT's relatively new look was done by him as well.

Yesterday, KOIN (CBS affiliate for Portland) completely changed its logo, name, set, graphics, and music package. Instead of being known as KOIN News 6, it's now known as KOIN Local 6.

Old logo:

KOIN_6_Portland.jpg

New logo:

Koinlocal6.jpg

Also, here's a YouTube clip of the 6 PM news open:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNuVFwMzEFY

This makes it four; FOUR stations not owned by Post-Newsweek that had or currently follow the Local Mandate:

* KFMB from 2001 to 2005

* currently WKRC (Local 12), KPSP Local 2 and now KOIN Local 6.

KOIN (along with the other stations in the market, save for KGW) broadcasts their news in 16:9 SD. I doubt that's changed with this new graphics package. I do like the open, but the lower third graphics leave a lot to be desired. They don't look like they mesh with the rest of the graphics package that well.

I don't know about anyone else, but I initially got the feeling that this is a John Christopher Burns design. It looks like he's back doing some new stuff, since it appears as if KIMT's relatively new look was done by him as well.

Actually it is starting to grow on me. I'm starting to like the open. Haven't seen much of the lower 3rd though but from what I can tell, they're not that exciting.

I think I need to get used to these graphics. I don't think they're horrid, the color scheme is kinda weird, but it seems to have a "Northwest" feel from what I'm getting. It's nice to see new work from John Christopher Burns.

My favorite recent look from KOIN would have to be the Giant Octopus graphics with U-Phonix...

I think I need to get used to these graphics. I don't think they're horrid, the color scheme is kinda weird, but it seems to have a "Northwest" feel from what I'm getting. It's nice to see new work from John Christopher Burns.

My favorite recent look from KOIN would have to be the Giant Octopus graphics with U-Phonix...

I agree. Maybe if they went with a darker green for the logo to give it a more Northwest look. I think if it has a little more tweaking, it wouldn't look too bad.

I don't know, I kind of like it. The new package (Absolute News?) works really well with this look.

See, in my view, the package and the graphics seem disjointed. The music itself is good, but it seems a bit grandiose for the look and it doesn't match in style.

The graphics are good, but I'm not sure if they're "now" enough. They are classic JCBd, layers and fonts and all. They look like a 16:9 version of something from the mid-90s-- nothing new here. It's a great look and it's good to see Burns working on something new, but I don't know if it's KOIN. I didn't feel that the Giant Octopus graphics were KOIN, either, but I guess I don't live there!

See, in my view, the package and the graphics seem disjointed. The music itself is good, but it seems a bit grandiose for the look and it doesn't match in style.

The graphics are good, but I'm not sure if they're "now" enough. They are classic JCBd, layers and fonts and all. They look like a 16:9 version of something from the mid-90s-- nothing new here. It's a great look and it's good to see Burns working on something new, but I don't know if it's KOIN. I didn't feel that the Giant Octopus graphics were KOIN, either, but I guess I don't live there!

Fair point. I can't stand KPTV FOX12's look, though.

Archived