Eyewitness News Special from "Live" Studio

IceManNYR

WABC is doing another 30min special report on the "Economic Crisis", this time they are live from the Live With Regis and Kelly studio.

The video from the R&K studio is 4:3. I would have thought by now they would have upgraded for HD or at least be using HD studio cams that WABC could show in HD for Eyewitness News.

Will Live With Regis and Kelly not be HD till they move to a new studio?

Are they ever moving to a new studio so Eyewitness News can get that space back?

I thought there was talk here that Live would move to the old Tony Danza Show studio and then WABC would have the old Live space to build a new set?

pdvd2945or3.th.jpgpdvd2946kn7.th.jpg

I just went through the recording it seems one HD hand held and one HD studio cam from the news studio were used in the R&K studio for this special show,

pdvd2949xl5.th.jpgpdvd2948vu6.th.jpg

Well that backdrop is clearly not chroma keyed if I recall, that backdrop that says "Wall Street" is actually where the Manhattan Skyline is during the Regis and Kelly show. And if you look closely where Sade and Diana are sitting it looks as if that is where the Regis and Kelly desk is, but that is actually where the piano was when Alicia Keys performed there yesterday. So I think performances happen in that area of the set.

[yt]7J_ux_taJng[/yt]

That video shows the very same spot where Diana and Sade were sitting this afternoon. That was also where Alicia Keys sat and performed. Notice how the colors and lighting closely resemble what we saw today on Eyewitness News..

The notion of of Live! With R&K moving into the Tony Danza studio is still false. This is something that is not going to happen anytime soon. They probably just "borrowed" that spot to do the special. Which they can legally do since both shows are owned by and produced by WABC-TV. It would be cool though if they did take over the Regis and Kelly studio while they reconstruct the entire set or perhaps add to the current set. It would significantly up heave the look and quality of the station and certainly bump them right up to the flagship quality that we've all been waiting for, and could compete fairly well with the upcoming relaunch of WNBC's News 4 New York and its 24/7 NewsChannel Service...

But with the current state of the economy though, I wonder if this is financially feasible for them or if its even a good idea.. But it is indeed the Regis and Kelly Studio, they simply changed the lighting in the new panels that debut this year to match the familiar blue look of Eyewitness News. Which were shown to be changing hues during the Alicia Keys performance...

Does "Live" has it's own master control or is the same one that's used for Eyewitness News? I'm just wondering, besides that cost, what would be preventing "Live" from being in HD since Eyewitness News is in HD.

I thought there was talk here that Live would move to the old Tony Danza Show studio and then WABC would have the old Live space to build a new set?pdvd2949xl5.th.jpgpdvd2948vu6.th.jpg

My sources say whoever said that forgot what hole to speak out of, and that WABC has no plans for a "mega set", and Live has no intention of moving anytime soon.

My sources say whoever said that forgot what hole to speak out of, and that WABC has no plans for a "mega set", and Live has no intention of moving anytime soon.

But the idea of them borrowing the Live! Studio for special segments like that is not bad at all, perhaps they can share the set, have special segments like that.

Does "Live" has it's own master control or is the same one that's used for Eyewitness News? I'm just wondering, besides that cost, what would be preventing "Live" from being in HD since Eyewitness News is in HD.

The Live! Master Control room would have to be the same one used for Eyewitness News, Otherwise they would not have been able to have Diana and Sade sit in the Live! Set. There really is nothing else that is preventing Live! from broadcasting in High Definition, besides the cost and the work pretty much. They would have to simulcast the two shows because some channels which syndicate Live! Do not have HD capabilities. And not to mention every camera in that studio would have to be replaced with an expensive HD camera. So I think its the cost and the amount of work required. HD is a lot of work and is very expensive...

Since the show generally airs during the hours in which people are least watching, I personally do not think there is a need to have it broadcast in HD. Maybe in a few more years when HD starts becoming the new default form of broadcasting, when 480-Interlaced is obsolete, lol.

The Live! Master Control room would have to be the same one used for Eyewitness News, Otherwise they would not have been able to have Diana and Sade sit in the Live! Set.

The engineers could re-route the signal from the Live studio to the WABC control room.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived