Should networks start election night coverage early?

johnnya2k6

Should the networks start their election night coverage an hour early?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should the networks start their election night coverage an hour early?

• Yes, to give them plenty of time to preview the night ahead
    • No, 7:00 PM is fine with me

Election Night is the Super Bowl of news events, when the networks go all out with the flashiest sets and graphics known to mankind. And for decades, their coverage has started at 7:00 PM Eastern/4:00 Pacific.

But with all the stakes raised in this election, should the networks consider an early start time of say, 6:00 PM Eastern/3:00 Pacific? It may be an hour before the first polls of the night close, but that would give them as much time as possible to set the whole scene, as well as checking in with their correspondents at key locations. I think so.

In FL as in many other locations, when a hurricane threatens, news ops go into 24 hour crap mode - repeating the same thing again and again. Do we really need the same for election day? The fact that someone pooted in a voting stall does not have to be repeated nationally 84.2 times per hour, or does it?

...and what a mistake that was. Did they ever apologize? I don't recall.

7PM is just fine an dandy the way it is. I don't want to have to listen to pundits over and over and over. They become worse than ploiticians themselves.

No' date=' and I feel that is because of one incident. NBC calling Florida for Gore too early in 2000.[/quote']

Excuse me, but before NBC called Florida for Gore, Fox had already called it for Bush, and that proved to be too early as well, as they later recanted it.

Just put Election Night 2000 down in the farce column and move on.

Excuse me, but before NBC called Florida for Gore, Fox had already called it for Bush, and that proved to be too early as well, as they later recanted it.

Just put Election Night 2000 down in the farce column and move on.

IMO, the farce is trying to call any election at 7:01pm

Think about it: The 6:00pm time could consider to be a "warmup" to the first poll closings at 7:00; the networks could use that hour to include some feature stories like mini-bios on the candidates, how the Internet with the help of YouTube and others have played a key role in the election, and the Hollywood impact with Declare Yourself, Rock The Vote, etc. (I can see Tony Potts or Maria Menounos of "Access Hollywood" doing a pre-taped piece on it for NBC's coverage)

If you saw CBC's broadcast of Tuesday's Canadian elections on C-SPAN here in the States, you know what I'm talking about.

Then when 7:00 hits...the real fun begins!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure this will be the same for any channel with a 5:00 newscast...

Indeed, and that is how they did it back in 2004 with John Kerry and George Bush Election Year. The last scheduled show aired at 4:00PM and then it was straight election coverage until 12:00pm the next day, lol...

Indeed, and that is how they did it back in 2004 with John Kerry and George Bush Election Year. The last scheduled show aired at 4:00PM and then it was straight election coverage until 12:00pm the next day, lol...

Just realized that means election coverage on WTMJ starts at 3pm!! :awesome:

i agree 6:00 is a little early' date=' but i would even go out on a limb and say let the locals take the spotlight until 8 then switch to the national feed.[/quote']

That makes more sense, because at 8:00, all the East Coast states should have their polls closed (barring some unexpected delays).

Archived