WABC - Wednesdays @ 5:30pm

wabceyewitness

Something I've noticed about WABC over the last month or two -- quite often, the 5:30pm half-hour of news in replaced with an "Eyewitness News" special presentation about something related to the economic crisis.

At least twice, so far, Diana Williams and Sade Baderinwa have anchored this special live from a location out in the field. Once from a diner in Brooklyn and, most recently, from the Queens Center Mall.

I've always missed the 5pm half-hour and wondered -- do they anchor the 5:00 news from their field locations, too? Or does Bill and Liz or some other anchors anchor the 5pm broadcast?

I've always missed the 5pm half-hour and wondered -- do they anchor the 5:00 news from their field locations, too? Or does Bill and Liz or some other anchors anchor the 5pm broadcast?

Bill and Liz anchor the 5:00PM Newscast when Diana and Sade are on location. And thats what happened yesterday. Diana and Sade anchored from the Queens Mall, while Bill and Liz did the first half of the show from the studio. When they do the specials from the studio, they usually use the Live with Regis and Kelly Studio and change the pillars to a bluish hue. On the Wednesdays that they do the special from inside the studio, they obviously wouldn't have to have Bill or Liz anchoring since they can simply just walk to the other part of the studio where the Regis and Kelly set is. Unfortunately the cameras in the Live! Studio are in SD.

Thanks for the explanation, Vlad. I did see one special from done from the "Live" studio and noticed the change to SD at 5:30.... good news is that "Live" is going HD on January 5, 2009, so any more specials done from that studio will also be in HD starting in January.

One more question -- since Bill & Liz do the 5pm half-hour, do they still open with the Diana/Sade anchor intro?

Thanks for the explanation, Vlad. I did see one special from done from the "Live" studio and noticed the change to SD at 5:30.... good news is that "Live" is going HD on January 5, 2009, so any more specials done from that studio will also be in HD starting in January.

One more question -- since Bill & Liz do the 5pm half-hour, do they still open with the Diana/Sade anchor intro?

Yep, since they still technically are anchoring, just a little later at 5:30.. What usually happens though is that Diana and Sade open the broadcast from their location and then they toss it over to Bill and Liz for the News. ;).

I really admire WABC for these Wednesday specials, because it really just goes to show how they are actually caring for the viewer, rather than just bringing them the news. Adds as a sense of respect and sympathy for their viewers, which is why they are excelling. They have really improved over the months in terms of quality.

Just wanted to note the ratings are in and,

WABC-TV, Channel 7, is the #1 Station in New York and the Nation in the November 2008 Nielsen Sweep.

The article and data are here,

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/WABC-TV-Channel-7-1/story.aspx?guid={04C966F9-62A0-45B7-8019-64C44D950427}

*yawn*

WNBC does not belong in last place. What is wrong with them? How can you have a lead-in with 1.0/3 share leading into your 5pm broadcast? Isn't Oprah retiring soon? That show is skewing these results.To WNBC and NBC: In the words of SNL's financial consultant, Oscar Rogers, FIX IT!

I really admire WABC for these Wednesday specials, because it really just goes to show how they are actually caring for the viewer, rather than just bringing them the news. Adds as a sense of respect and sympathy for their viewers, which is why they are excelling. They have really improved over the months in terms of quality.

Oh please gimme a break. That's one of the most naive things I've ever heard.

WABC doesn't give a rats ass about you. These specials just help the bottom line...

Agreed. And also,

How can you have a lead-in with 1.0/3 share leading into your 5pm broadcast? Isn't Oprah retiring soon? That show is skewing these results.

You can't call it skewed. It is what it is-- a lead in. It's doing what it's supposed to do. Skewing the results is WITI airing their motorcycle special against a Packers game; saving that newscast a royal butt whipping.

KDKA is proof positive that a solid product can overcome the supposed death-knell lent by Oprah. Their 4PM newscast simply trounces her. With news. At 4. In Pittsburgh.

With this whole thread about "quality", if one were to equate number of viewers with quality, then that would be skewing the results b/c it just isn't so. If WNBC were to take those miserable numbers and say something is wrong with their product and decide to take either Sue or Chuck off, that would be a terrible mistake.

On a side note, does anyone know if there are other stations out there with their newscast beating out a another station that has Oprah as the lead-in?

The market is upside down, literally. At 10pm, the best newscast is last, and at 11pm, the best newscast is also last...WABC's LCD approach is incredibly annoying, they dumb things down.

Archived