My13 News replaced with FOX News @ 11

News4LA

Just FYI, I was channel surfing Thanksgiving eve, and Rick and Lauren were saying that this was their last newscast. My 13 News was being canceled. It is being replaced on Monday 12/1 with FOX News @ 11. It will be anchored by Carlos & Christine from FOX 11 and will be a 30 min newscast.

Rick will continue doing sports for Fox 11 @10pm, Lauren will be reporting for Good Day LA and Maria will be doing weather for the Morning News (6am) and 10 am newscasts.

You can read Maria blog : http://community.myfoxla.com/blogs/Maria_Quiban/2008/11/20/Goodbye

Oh my....The end of News/UPN/MY 13....KCOP no longer holds the distinction of doing a newscast...this sucks! Now it's all FOX all the time.

You know this makes me think....could Channel 13 cease to exist, perhaps even become a digital subchannel now with the DTV conversion kicking in. I do know that some MYTV affils are on digital subchannels. Good bye My13...Hello, MyNetworkTV on FOX 11.2.

Hey it could happen, and what once was one of the most dominant independent stations in the country could soon disappear.

Then KCOP would lose HD capability. I hope MNTV doesn't shut down by the time our Mexican affiliate goes digital. KCOP would no longer have HD programming and it would destroy KTTV's image quality. I still think KCOP will still exist for the HD programming.

Well, here's the kicker:

A MyNetwork SanDiego affiliate, which is technically in MEXICO, may operate on channel 49, but they're identified as My13. This conflicts with KCOP, also a My13, and to quote mhbcity, is likely to "cease to exist, even become a digital subchannel now with the DTV conversion kicking in." If KCOP were to be taken off the air, where's the MyNetwork affiliation going to go?

XHDTV the mexican station is still going to operate. Infact they are planning to get their DTV transmitter up by 2.17.09. They might even broadcast in HD on that channel. XHDTV has been assigned CH. 47 for DTV. They will cochannel with KAZA-DT. If they are running at 1,000 kw ERP then some parts of temecula might even be able to get it. At this power level 1,000 kw it will have much better reception than CH. 49 which has problems with reception due to terrain and not as much power. If XHDTV had more power then they could get better reception. Doesn't help that a translator in North County also uses CH. 49. XHDTV is actually identified as MyTV 13.

Then KCOP would lose HD capability. I hope MNTV doesn't shut down by the time our Mexican affiliate goes digital. KCOP would no longer have HD programming and it would destroy KTTV's image quality. I still think KCOP will still exist for the HD programming.

All KCOP has going for it in HD is My13News....there's also the Angels... but the rest is low rated daytime talk shows, repeats, and old movies all of which is produced in SD.

As for My Network TV all they have going for them is WWE Smackdown!, and even that is crap compared to when The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin were kickin arse, hell even with Shawn Michaels and Brett the Hitman Hart.

The network (or as I would like to call...syndicated primetime programming package) started with five nights of telenovelas...it failed...and now all it has to go for it is recycled or rejected programming, old movies, reruns. The network just doesn't feature shows that would make it worthy of being a network. Kinda like OPT (though it gave us Entertainment Tonight), Kinda like PTEN (though it gave us Star Trek Voyager), Kinda like the Action Pack (though it gave us Hercules).

If I were KCOP (or for that matter another My Network Affil), I would follow KOFY TV20's model in San Francisco....Dump the networks and go Independent.

Otherwise, considering what has become of KCOP, they're better off being on Digital Channel 11.2.

Another update....

There was no real tribute to KCOP's newscast obviously as Jeff and Susan Signed off for My13 News for the last time. Jeff just mentioned "there will be a new look to the newscast with Carlos Amezcua and Christine Devine and Jeff and Susan on weekends" No real tribute...just a quick signoff.

Thus gone are the days of....those "Stamp This" and "Oh My Stars" segments, random pop songs playing during the teases, Lauren "Rocks" Sanchez, Maria Quiban doing the weather, and Rick Garcia...anchorman and anything left of KCOP. The days of KCOP are no more and a new era (sort of) is ushered in as we get 30 more minute of FOX 11 News, which is slightly better than what we had to endure since 1999, when Lauren Sanchez joined the team. At first she seemed like a pro...but time changed.

Nevertheless, Lauren still lurks on Good Day LA.

It truly is and end of an era. But the show must go on, even without My13 News.

RIP My13 News (1985-2008)

Actually World Network News, News 13, 13 Real News, UPN News 13, UPN 13 News, Channel 13 News, and finally My13 News.

This comes on the 60th Anniversary of KCOP-TV Channel 13.

RIP KCOP (1948-2008), you may as well call it "FOX 13" now.

Guest Former Member 207
Actually World Network News, News 13, 13 Real News, UPN News 13, UPN 13 News, Channel 13 News, and finally My13 News.

This comes on the 60th Anniversary of KCOP-TV Channel 13.

RIP KCOP (1948-2008), you may as well call it "FOX 13" now.

Despite having the red-headed stepchild status for most of its history, KCOP in its 60 years has cemented its own legacy (for better or worse) in the Los Angeles market. It's the fourth-oldest station in town (Channels 5, 2, and 9 are older, it's about three months older than 11 and 4, and a year older than 7). A great library of hit movies, children shows, and other specials made Channel 13 formiable station and one of the best independents in the country.

Its legacy was killed the day Fox Television Stations bought KCOP, and ceased bring its own standalone operation. It was even more cemented when its website became part of KTTV's. Speaking of which...KTTV's own 60th anniversary comes one month from today, on New Year's Day.

Another update...

It's official News 13 is dead and FOX News At 11 is in, 30 minutes of news instead of an hour...despite the fact, that the FOX 11 News logo bug appears, and the graphics/music are those of KTTV. Nothing new, just 30 more minutes of FOX 11 News. The only real difference is that the reporters and vo introduces the newscast as "FOX News At 11" which essentially is the same as FOX 11 News. In fact, Christina Gonzales even signed-off on her report "FOX 11 at 11"

If any of you have watched KTTV in the past, you know that this format will not last or will be changed. When KTTV introduced at 5:30 am newscast in 1999, it was titlted "FOX 11 AM Express" with a goal of a faster-paced early morning newscast, weeks later it was fully integrated into the 6 am newscast, and later KTTV would add an extra-half hour at 5am. When Good Day Live was cancelled, KTTV added an extra hour of GDLA.

I suspect KTTV will move the news at 11 to KTTV, and move the Simpsons either to My13 at 11 or KTTV at 11:30am and TMZ would move either to midnight or to My13 at 11pm.

As if three showings of TMZ is not enough.

So far it's a FOX 11 Newscast, no more Lauren Sanchez and Maria Quiban... One thing that has not changed to say the least is Dancing Mark Thompson.

Did I mention that at one point they even played the tease cut from the X News Package, the theme music KTTV used in the early 2000's.

Plenty of Errors here and there.

That's that!

The only difference is reporters have to say "Fox News at 11" instead of "Fox 11 News". This is just as bad as when the My 13 News bug was running on Fox 11 during the fires. What station am I watching? Christine said switch over to Channel 13 (not My 13) at the end of the 10 PM newscast while Carlos made a motion to turn the dial. When was the last time I turned a dial on a tv tuner?

They barely mentioned they were on Channel 13. The average viewer probably is scratching their head and wondering what happen to channel 13, how did I get Fox 11.

I hope CBS never tries to do this to CBS2 / KCAL9.

eyetvsnapshotdr6.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot5xz6.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot3us7.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot5xz6.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot6iq6.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot7ms2.th.jpg

Guest Former Member 207
Not in a billion years, not CBS, even as bad as they are. I think? =|

At least CBS has tried to maintain separate identies for Channels 2 and 9. Besides news, the only other common programming between the two are CSI: New York and Cold Case reruns. They even have distinct promo graphics packages...KCBS always used promo graphics exact or similar to their network, and KCAL has their promo graphics.

This sounds like what Fox wanted to do with WWOR here on the east coast. The only thing that stopped them was that because the city of license for the station is in New Jersey, instead of NYC, once word got out of the plan to move the station into the same building as WNYW, some of the politicians in the state threatened to petition the FCC to revoke the stations license, so Fox backed off.

At least CBS has tried to maintain separate identies for Channels 2 and 9. Besides news, the only other common programming between the two are CSI: New York and Cold Case reruns. They even have distinct promo graphics packages...KCBS always used promo graphics exact or similar to their network, and KCAL has their promo graphics.
The websites are merged and each air Dr. Phil, as well.

Watching all 4 stations at 11 PM last night, although I really Fox 11 News at 10 PM and have enjoyed Carlos since the early days at KTLA, Fox News at 11 just doesn't look or feel as big league as the other 3. Carlos isn't on Fox 11 News tonight, btw, Jeff Michaels is subbing.

Watching all 4 stations at 11 PM last night, although I really Fox 11 News at 10 PM and have enjoyed Carlos since the early days at KTLA, Fox News at 11 just doesn't look or feel as big league as the other 3. Carlos isn't on Fox 11 News tonight, btw, Jeff Michaels is subbing.

yes...but two showings of Phil should suffice considering the ratings he gets. Some people just can't watch Phil at 4 so they wait until 7. It works nevertheless.

But never will 2 and 9 try to fox things up, heaven forbid.

Guest Former Member 207

Point taken and duly noted...I totally forgot about the baldhead buffoon. I've been always aware he's on both stations, but never watched that show, except in the rare instance that it's absolutely nothing and watch for it for comedic relief. I'm aware of the merged website as well...my post was more towards about the on-air idenities of 2 and 9.

In regards to the 11pm news on 13...I'm usually watching either 4 or 7 at that time, and only if I'm still up at that hour. I did catch a glimpse Monday night on 13...it just didn't feel right. I don't think this arrangement is going to last long...mbhcity is probably right about eventually moving the 11pm newscast to KTTV, and swap that Simpsons airing with KCOP, unless Fox and KTTV is keeping that 11pm slot open for a potential late-night talk show (and something else to replace MadTV on Saturdays after this spring). Let's not forget that we're more than six months away from Jay Leno leaving The Tonight Show, and Fox has been one of the potential suitors (of course, along with ABC and Sony Pictures TV)...they can plug him at 11 (or 11:30/11:35, depending on the market).

Archived