NBC: 'actively looking' at fewer hours of primetime

Bucc

It's about time some one realize they need to change the network's primetime around, even if it is to save $. . .

Zucker's address raised the possibility of a smaller NBC schedule with reduced hours. "Can we continue to program 22 hours of primetime? Three of our competitors don't. Can we continue to program seven nights a week? One of our competitors doesn't."

Very interesting article, if you haven't already read it. . .

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6620804.html

It's about time some one realize they need to change the network's primetime around, even if it is to save $. . .

Zucker's address raised the possibility of a smaller NBC schedule with reduced hours. "Can we continue to program 22 hours of primetime? Three of our competitors don't. Can we continue to program seven nights a week? One of our competitors doesn't."

Very interesting article, if you haven't already read it. . .

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6620804.html

I think it's a good idea.

Methinks Leno at 10:00 will turn into more of a nightly variety hour -- monologue, sketch/headlines/man-on-the-street, one interview guest, halftime sketch a la Conan O'Brien, one performing guest. Such a format when executed well has been an excellent lead in to local news in the past. Leno has the opportunity to become this generation's Ed Sullivan or Dean Martin.

As for everything after the news: Letterman will take two ratings periods before retiring, then O'Brien will take the number one spot back for NBC. Fallon will flop; Ferguson's Late Late Show will become the number one show at 12:35. Jimmy Kimmel will move up to 11:35; ABC might court Carson Daly for 12:35, seeing as he'll never move up from the 1:35 spot at NBC. Keep an eye on Late Show come 2010; I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Seacrest was flirted with for Letterman's chair; Ferguson's not a known enough name for the spot, and he's doing way too well at 12:35.

Wow, this is big!!! I don't think that it will be too risky, being that having Jay Leno in the 10pm slot will probably generate more ratings than the crap that they air now and it will most likely be a decent lead-in to the late news. Just think for a second...Leno is number one in his current spot, but most local stations in large markets, i.e. New York and LA, are in 2nd and 3rd place at 11. That means that there is a large percentage of people that watch another station during the primetime hours like ABC or CBS and keep on that stations local news and then turn on Leno at 11:35. Now, most of the people that like Leno will watch at 10 and keep on that stations local news at 11.

I personally am glad that Leno will be on earlier in the evening because I have always enjoyed watching him.

I understand the idea, but I was hoping that NBC would opt for a 10pm newscast for the local stations....But the idea of it being a good lead in is really smart for the local stations...who knows maybe their ratings will go up?!

Then what happens with NBC stations that produce a 10pm newscast for another affiliate like Fox or My Network TV? That would probably become a bit of a problem if NBC decided to air local news at 10.

Then what happens with NBC stations that produce a 10pm newscast for another affiliate like Fox or My Network TV? That would probably become a bit of a problem if NBC decided to air local news at 10.

Yea, I Understand what you are saying, but because the NBC station would have the 10pm News they wouldn't need to have one on the other station. OR, The NBC station could then switch to an 11pm on My Network, etc.

They could give affiliates the option of having local news at either 10:00 or 11:00.

They could give affiliates the option of having local news at either 10:00 or 11:00.

Yea I was thinking that

Why couldn't affiliates decide to have a 10pm newscat on NBC, and put the Jay Leno Show at 10:35pm?

Just a thought....

Yea I was thinking that

Why couldn't affiliates decide to have a 10pm newscat on NBC, and put the Jay Leno Show at 10:35pm?

Just a thought....

I'm sure some NBC affiliates might just do that or move Leno to 11:00 PM. They can just tape delay the lineup. I think some of the affiliates want to compete with Fox affiliates since they do the news at 10 PM. Maybe just make it a 30 minute newscast or a 35. Then go from there. I don't see NBC O&O's doing this though.

The only shows that this move will hurt is the L&O franchise, which do well in their Tuesday and Wednesday at 10pm timeslots.

Back when Trial By Jury got cancelled, there rumor was that Dick Wolf was considering moving the L&Os to another network. Might knocking L&O franchise from their 10pm slots make that happen. Moving them to CBS would be great....for CBS.

Personally I think the whole Leno @10 idea is just goofy. It will push more people to other networks.

Archived