Layoffs at KCBS/KCAL

CalItalian2

Let the bloodbath begin! Now that we have Irish power at the top of KCBS/KCAL, when will Patrick give the boot NBG? That is if he doesn't like her. It's a shame that such experienced TV Executive had to keep quiet and say nothing just to receive a paycheck. Shame.

Say it ain't so' date=' Joe! As long as they leave most of the essential anchors alone, I say more power to KCBS/KCAL.[/quote']

They already are working Pat Harvey and Sylvia Lopez quite hard with the three-hour shifts.

But now I wonder if there will be more than just cuts, possibly even cancellations of newscasts. I know a few affils have tried canceling their weekend newscasts.

I think KCAL needs to start by making their afternoon schedule more logical. Their strange mix of newscasts with syndicated programming has always frustrated me when I go through the channel guide. I will say, though, I really like their evening block. It fills a good niche for a large metro area like LA. I just wish they wouldn't let go all of the good talent who gave variety and character to the newscasts!

I like all the different anchors at KCAL. I do think the mix of news and programming in the afternoons is a little weird. A news show at noon and then again at two is an odd combination. However, it gives viewers more choices of television other than soap operas and talk shows.

Archived