Jeff Smith/WABC

NewsJunkie247

I was watching some of Jeff Smith's coverage at 11 of the winter storm that moved through the Tri-State area and I have to say, he did a great job with his forecasting. For somebody that is not from the area, he seems to know all of the locations very well and his forecasts were pretty accurate. Good job Jeff!

he sucks..all of channel 7 is horribly conservative. Jeff busted his forecast by 3-5" in many area's. He kept NYC in the 1-3 when many obs stations reported 4-5" His numbers were also way too broad.

He actually forecasted 3-5 in the city with 1-3 in Long Island, I thought it was actually fairly well. I thought he faired pretty well on his first coverage of a major winter storm at Channel 7.

Why are Liz Cho-Ch 7 and Kristine Johnson-Ch 2 out on the same days? Most recently Mon & Tues Dec 22 & 23, 2008? Thanks....js1237...

Well, its the holiday season so expect to see a lot of anchors off. Perhaps Liz Cho and Kristine Johnson had a few days of vacation saved up and didn't want to see them go to waste, so they both, quincidently, took off a few days at the beginning of the week.

I was watching some of Jeff Smith's coverage at 11 of the winter storm that moved through the Tri-State area and I have to say, he did a great job with his forecasting. For somebody that is not from the area, he seems to know all of the locations very well and his forecasts were pretty accurate. Good job Jeff!

Jeff's been with the station for over a year now, so this wasn't his first big storm. And as for not being from this area, prior to WABC he was up in Albany, so his NYS geography is pretty well grounded.

SS - you'll be interested to note he still hasn't solved that "gapping" problem he's had since he started on the station, where too much of his shirt and tie bottom (and his belt buckle) show thru the area below his buttoned jacket. He still needs to pull his pants up higher!

It is not just a few days at the beginning of the week.

They have both been out the entire week-Mon-Fri-Dec. 22-26, 2008 and counting.

I have observed this several times in the past.

Possibly they follow the same religion????

Does our Channel 2 & 7 members have any feedback?

Thanks...

Well, its the holiday season so expect to see a lot of anchors off. Perhaps Liz Cho and Kristine Johnson had a few days of vacation saved up and didn't want to see them go to waste, so they both, quincidently, took off a few days at the beginning of the week.

It is not just a few days at the beginning of the week.

They have both been out the entire week-Mon-Fri-Dec. 22-26, 2008 and counting.

I have observed this several times in the past.

Possibly they follow the same religion????

Does our Channel 2 & 7 members have any feedback?

Thanks...

Is this a real question?? It's the holidays. Why do you think more than one person has time off these two weeks?

Now, maybe this thread can re-focus on Jeff Smith.....

In my opinion, I think Jeff has done a good job in his time at WABC. His on-air presentation is very well done...and so what if he was conservative on the snow fall map? Predicting snow is a double-edged sword. You're conservative with the numbers, and you get blamed for not preparing people...you're liberal with the numbers and you get blamed for hyping things.

And, by the way, Jeff did say that morning that it would be a tricky storm and said that parts of the city would see 1-3" while other parts, most likely Manhattan and Bronx, would see 3-6"..which was true.

Archived