Major Cuts At WCBS Sports Dept.

j.wer

Terrible. Best of luck to the both of them and anyone else affected behind-the-scenes.

Makes you wonder if they're going to do away with sports altogether. Maybe someone read Huff's column last week and had a lightbulb go off. :-(

I also wonder if they would've been kept an extra few days had the Giants made it to the Super Bowl...

IMO, there really isn't a need for a sports anchor during the mornings, they could save money by having the weeknight guy record tapings for the mornings, which they once did. I wonder if WPIX will choose either of them to fill there sports anchor position, but I think they should stick with Lolita.

So Sam Ryan is going to be on 7 nights a week?

I wonder if on weekends one of the news anchors will just do the reports?

Maybe they will use Steve Bartelstein to do sports on the weekends in addition to his anchoring duties. Then they will use Sam Ryan on weekdays. I guess the morning newscast, sports will be taped from the day before.

I don't understand why talented broadcasters continue to get duped by CBS. Don't they read newspapers, too? Don't they hear gossip in their newsrooms? Don't they know that unless your name is Dana Tyler, a contract with WCBS will only end with an early termination buyout, non-renewal after 3 years or sitting out a multi-million dollar contract for three years?

This is appalling and riddiculous. John and Ducis are two of the best in the business, and Sam barely even ranks as a sports reporter. This is not gender bias-I thought Reichia Candidate was also one of the best I'd ever seen....you could tell she had a real passion and expertise in the area; while Sam Ryan seems to be better suited to straight anchoring or reporting.

I honestly believe that no station could not find better sports talent than John or Ducis...what the hell are they thinking cutting them loose? Hopefully ESPN will snap one or both of those boys up.

No surprise here - Sam Ryan will do sports during the week and Steve Bartelstein will handle weekend sports in addition to anchoring. A taped sports report will air in the mornings. WCBS may also work in reports from WFAN Radio - A CBS owned radio station.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/01/28/2009-01-28_cuts_at_channel_2_make_sam_ryan_a_key_pl.html

Archived