Spring Training Coverage

Geoffrey

Are the stations cutting back on sending reporters to cover Spring Training?

I know WABC has Scott Clark down there. He anchored WABC's special report yesterday afternoon with the A-Rod press conference in Tampa.

WNBC has Bruce Beck, who asked a question at the press conference.

WCBS has no one there. I'm pretty sure they used to have one reporter in Tampa with the Yankees and another at Port St. Lucie with the Mets. That was back when they had a sports team. In fact, they were the only NY station not to air the A-Rod press conference (WNBC, WNYW, WABC, WWOR (simulcast of WNYW) and WPIX all had it live). They've been having WFAN-AM Yankees reporter Sweeny Murti file some reports about the A-Rod mess.

Personally, I don't see why it needed to interrupt any programming on any network station. That's what SNY, ESPN, and especially YES is for.

It was webcasted at wcbstv.com. Think of all the upset housewives don't care...haha.

Personally, I don't see why it needed to interrupt any programming on any network station. That's what SNY, ESPN, and especially YES is for.

totally agree. it is not often when sports is real news.

While WCBS did can the sports department, they're really putting their resource of WFAN-AM to good use. I mean, the reporters from WFAN everyone identifies with on the radio, and they are in FL anyway reporting on the same things.

I think it's smart.

I'm pretty sure all of the Philly stations sent somebody down, in addition to KYW 1060 and Comcast SportsNet.

Well since the Phillies won the World Series last year, I expect that the hype for them will be greater than usual and it makes sense that all the stations sent someone down.

WCVB and WBZ sent a reporter down. WHDH and WFXT didn't, because both only have 2 on-air sports people, while the other two have 4.

WBZ & WCVB have 3! WBZ used to be the only with 4

Plus WHDH has a freelancer for sports as well.

Archived