New Graphics Coming to KGO?

caliwxdude

Recently promos for upcoming I-Team stories on KGO have started to sport a new look, which makes me think these might be the first sightings of a new graphics package. The new look is also reflected on the new KGO Twitter page and Facebook page. Overall it looks like a cheap ripoff of the current look for WLS, and we all know this wouldn't be the first time that KGO has ripped off WLS. Still, it's a nice change from the current graphics which I've never really been a fan of.

I was able to catch the new promo with my TiVo, and I uploaded it to YouTube. Check it out below, or click to view it in HD:

[yt][/yt]

At first it stuck me as odd compared to their current package with the brighter colors and is very KGO-esque. But I think that after some getting used to, it would be a good package for KGO. Good for them.

Wonder if the ABC 7 bug will bounce around in the new package like it does in the current one? That always stuck me as odd but I understand why they did that.

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarilly...the only reason they pay a little less than a lot for the theme is because of the ammount of custom cuts...if KGO went back to the original CD cuts, or even a different version of News Series 2000 Plus, it would still be welcome, and most likely just as affordable as Eyewitness News...It'll definitely be more affordable than Signature by SAM was.

...if KGO went back to the original CD cuts, or even a different version of News Series 2000 Plus, it would still be welcome, and most likely just as affordable as Eyewitness News...It'll definitely be more affordable than Signature by SAM was.

Signature (and the other Stephen Arnold packages) was only made expensive by the whole SESAC thing back in 2007. Previously, I believe Stephen Arnold's licensing fees were one of the most affordable, hence the prevalence of Arnold music in smaller markets.

I'd have to think that ABC has a bulk licensing deal with Gari Communications to use Eyewitness News on all of their O&O stations, with the exception of WLS and WPVI. In the case of those two stations, you can make the case that since the music has been used for such long periods of time, they've become an integral part of the station's brand (especially in the case of WPVI) and it wouldn't be prudent to change it.

KGO, on the other hand, has never had that kind of sonic branding. That's why it didn't hurt and only we noticed when they switched to Eyewitness News package, fitting in with the rest of the other O&Os. I'm not a fan of the cuts of Eyewitness News KGO uses, but I still think it's better than News Series 2000 Plus.

The bouncing logo is designed to prevent burn-in on low-end plasma TVs (Pioneer's Kuro plasmas are not in this group), which happens with a lot of channel bugs which stay on screen for a long time. I don't really think it's a station's fault for someone wasting money on a heavy, energy-sucking, burn-in susceptible plasma TV (LCDs are far superior and don't burn-in), but this was an easy way to stop the complaints.

I'd have to think that ABC has a bulk licensing deal with Gari Communications to use Eyewitness News on all of their O&O stations, with the exception of WLS and WPVI. In the case of those two stations, you can make the case that since the music has been used for such long periods of time, they've become an integral part of the station's brand (especially in the case of WPVI) and it wouldn't be prudent to change it.

WLS is included with the use of the Eyewitness News ABC O&O bulk package license. WLS uses a couple cuts from EWN. From what I've been told by Gari a while back, the News Series 2000 Plus has been thrown in with the Eyewitness News package to make the "ABC O&O/News Collection". They just consider NS2000+ WLS's custom signature of the whole package. I was also told that's the reason why there isn't a separate sample on Gari's website for NS2000+. So really, any of the ABC O&O's using EWN can use NS2000+ if they choose to do so. If KGO wanted to go back to using NS2000+, they can easily switch without even having to call Gari if they still have the old CD's on their hands since it's all the same package now.

Archived