Gannett GFX: 5 months later

rhombics447

It's going on five months, give or take, since Gannett affiliates received their new Pyburn graphics packages and, for most, new music.

How has your local Gannett station modified/changed their graphics from the original.

For example, at WKYC in Cleveland, the "LIVE" bug changed in December and they got new sidebars this past Saturday. Also, the once yellow streak of light in the back of most graphics is now orange-ish. These are changes that are not limited to this station though.

1307553136_0302_H17M59_CH3-1_WKYCHD_1.thumb.jpg.bea5acc612920ba0a62fe9850b1637c9.jpg

Love the KUSA music, the Gannett music is growing on me, but the graphics... I'm sure they look nice in HD, but seem too busy for me almost to the point of being distracting. They also are way too bright, shiny, and glossy... the kind of stuff I figured people on here would like.

In the YT clip above, there's just WAY too much going on... especially from 1:34 on!

There is nothing I like about WXIA's implementation of the graphics package. Their previous graphics were much better, imho. I wish they opted for the blue version. And they need a logo and image overhaul.

WUSA's package is still awful. The only change I have noticed, was the term "reporter" has been phased out for "digital correspondent". There were quite a few complaints from viewers about the information bars in the morning. The actual newscast was squished into a corner, and viewers have not been happy. I am unsure if they kept the information bars, as I don't watch WUSA except to catch a quick glimpse of Lesli Foster (very attractive), but clearly WUSA is continuing its travel down the commode.

• 3 weeks later...

KARE Just changed their HD Sidebars within the last week. They are modeled after the WKYC and other Gannett bars. I like them...it gives a little color to the sidebars rather than just a gray gradient.

665836202_KARE112009HDSidebar.jpg.69b2041e2193138f7ecfc02216e08f85.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Call me crazy but i kind of like the info on the right side bar, I have no idea what the bottom says. But I like the idea of having constant weather/traffic in the am whenever you turn on the TV lol....does this channel do something lame like weather on the...9's ??

This is what WUSA's morning news looks like. Frightening.

[yt]JPMt9n8E6gY[/yt]

(They've since made the time/temp graphic larger, but it is still a disaster.)

I actually do not mind the video noise.

On the plus, it allows for a person to read stories other than the present video. 2) It allows for a continual, better than "real time" updates for weather and traffic. - in FL with out outdated roads and storm season this could be a good thing.

It does take some time for some to get used to, but the format is all at you all the time. - no need to wait 10 or 15 mins for sports (non-news) or weather, or traffic.

• 4 weeks later...

WUSA has today revised the morning news whatever it is they're calling it, and introduced a revised bug (which only appeared in the 5-7am news thus far).

As I have no video capture equipment, I can only describe it. Instead of four simultaneous news flippers at the bottom (dubiously splitting news along geographic lines -- DC, MD, VA and World news), there is only one (though the screen space reserved in the L3 for it is rather large, as though they could fit four tickers still at the bottom). They integrated the time/temperature bug into the set, and the logo was revised to say "9 News Now HD" in a more horizontal orientation. Now, the right hand sidebar is translucent giving the illusion of more room for the video of the newscast. (You get the HD widescreen on a standard screen thanks to the L3 flipper becoming a letterboxing bar of sorts.)

You can actually live with it now, although the graphics and music package still royally sucks!

Archived