Your Station's Handling of "The Early Show"

Mario500

For the first time since December 25, 2004, WKRG has aired "The Early Show" in its entirety today. In the past, TV5 has aired certain segments from the first hour of "The Early Show" with its morning newscast (a format similar to "CBS This Morning"). How does your local station air the morning program nowadays?

WWJ:

CBS O&O+No News Department (yes, you heard that right, an O&O without a newscast, they even parody newscast brandings in commercials for programming where Newscasts would usually be with the slogan "No News is Good News")=Full Early Show, almost nothing else.

Haven't seen the show in months, but last time I checked, WTKR airs it, with news cut-ins at 7:23, :56, 8:25, and 8:56, along with WVEC and WAVY.

The only difference is that 'TKR's cut-ins are generally longer than the other two stations, usually about ten minutes. 'VEC and WAVY have about two minutes.

For the first time since December 25, 2004, WKRG has aired "The Early Show" in its entirety today. In the past, TV5 has aired certain segments from the first hour of "The Early Show" with its morning newscast (a format similar to "CBS This Morning"). How does your local station air the morning program nowadays?

Did they air it live, or did it air at 7am CT?

WISH in Indianapolis has local news from 5 to 7, then mostly local and partly The Early Show from 7 to 8, and then The Early Show by itself after that. WISH has done this for many years, since the previous incarnation of the CBS morning program.

WBBM

7-9 [CT]

WSBT

6-8 [EST]

That's not possible, b/c Early is live 7-9 ET. It's probably 6-8 CT, because some CT time zone cable comps. probably carry stations from ET market South Bend.

Everybody for the people that don't know. Except for some CBS stations that pre-empt the first hour of the early show, the program is aired at 7am on all time zones. I know WTOC in Savannah, GA they air The Early Show at 8am Eastern in its entirely.

KOTV in Tulsa also runs its local morning newscast from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., and shows the last hour of The Early Show at 9:00 a.m.

KPIX and KOVR (both being CBS O&Os) both currently air The Early Show in its entirety. KPIX used to run their morning newscast into the 7:00 a.m. hour, but stopped when The Early Show premiered in 1999.

• 3 months later...

KFMB airs some segments during the 7am hour. For example their 7am newscast runs until 7:12 then it's the early show until 7:25. Then it is back to KFMB and they go until 7:40, then it returns to TES. Then KFMB resumes its newscast at 7:55 until 8am. Then they air the 8am hour in its entirety with local news cut in's at :25 and :55.

WFOR and WPEC both air The Early Show from 7-9am. I'm sure both of these stations regret doing it right now. Hopefully, WPEC will stop doing that and I wouldn't blame them if they did because the CBS News Department must suck.

In Maryland:

WJZ airs TES between :20 to :25 past and :45 to :55 past during the 7am hour, then shows the final hour in it's entirety at 8am.

WUSA use to do the same thing with CBS This Morning back in the early 90's, then changed to showing the entire 2 hours.

• 6 months later...

On January 7th, 2008, WKRG and other CBS affiliates will abandon the format of airing segments of "The Early Show" with local segments and the national program's entire second hour to air all two hours of the program. TV5's morning newscast, according to their non-scrolling news ticker, will begin airing from 5:00 AM until close to 7:00 AM.

I suppose WKRG will be airing "The CBS Morning News" live at 4:30 AM instead of on tape-delay at 5:00 AM. They have considered the idea of having news at 5:00 AM in the past (WALA, WPMI, and WEAR all have 5:00 AM newscasts, with the notorious ABC affiliate being the first in the TV market to have one), but the time was not right until CBS announced the January plans for "The Early Show".

I'm a little surprised that Mobile’s only regularly scheduled local TV column "Media Frenzy" in the bi-weekly alternative newspaper Lagniappe has no mention of this or WEAR's new 4:00 PM newscast in this week's edition. Mobile's daily newspaper the Mobile Press-Register needs to consider hiring a regular TV and radio columnist. I would happily accept the position if eligible.

Archived