CBS2 Might Sublease Some of New Building for $$$

first on fox

Cohen said he's committed to keeping Channel 2 in the building and honoring its long-term lease. But he needs to cut costs, so he wants to sublease some of Channel 2's 90,000 square feet. His plan could involve finding tenants for the broadcasting studios, including the prominent street-level Studio A across from the Picasso.

Exactly how much space is being offered depends on different configurations. Cohen said Studio A must continue as video production space under terms of the Block 37 redevelopment agreement with the city.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roeder/1470318,CST-FIN-roeder11.article

Interesting, it looks like the city wants them to install the whole display now. Weren't they the ones that wanted the sign to be shrunken down?

It'll be interesting to see how this goes.. "Clout" doesn't run the station anymore so the city might just trying to be a jerk to CBS now since the new boss doesn't doesn't want the street-level news studio that the mayor really wanted.. Cohen isn't buddy buddy with the mayor like Ahern was. Having a street level news studio was the main reason why the mayor/city approved of that project on Block 37. Really, it comes down to subleasing the space or cutting more staff (both on and off air) which the station can't afford to do if they plan to stay in the game.

Honestly, I can't see any major TV production using that street level studio with windows. With Jerry Springer leaving, any potential talk show that comes to town would probably rather use the NBC Tower studios since it's much larger studio space.

This will be the second time a very expensive and extravagant news set for WBBM goes to waste. The only things I heard WBBM plans to save from the set is the anchor desk and a few of the flat screens. I'm guessing there will be no more cooking/dancing/band segments on the morning news because I don't see that kind of stuff happening from the newsroom unless they put a provision on the sublease that WBBM still gets to use the streetside studio for that purpose.

I wonder what WBBM is going do with all that stuff they have stored in studio B.. I don't think they have enough storage in the building. Heck, I don't even know if that stuff is still even there. It was alot of stuff from the old building that they saved. Maybe they can use some of those empty offices upstairs for storage. There's some good thinking.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Fowler worked out some deal with WBBM to buy the news set (minus the anchor desk) for WFLD. With some very slight modifications, that set can be made to look FOX News-esque. I'm guessing probably not. Although it may be a better idea for WBBM to at least try to sell that set to another station before dumping it in a dumpster.

I know this won't happen but when you think of it, WFLD and WBBM should just trade facilities. The space WFLD currently leases is much more fitting (both price and space wise) for the direction WBBM is going now and the WBBM facilities would work much better for WFLD, especially the morning news. WFLD does want to expand and add an additional studio.

Eh, I read the article and was about to comment but I don't care, and I'm sure other people don't either.

It's stupid things like this that are going to set channel 2 back another 10 years. Can they ever get it through their heads that viewers want STABILITY? Not change every few months, then again every few years.

And by the way, are any of your solutions ever even remotely realistic, Lazyjunkie?

Eh, I read the article and was about to comment but I don't care, and I'm sure other people don't either.

It's stupid things like this that are going to set channel 2 back another 10 years. Can they ever get it through their heads that viewers want STABILITY? Not change every few months, then again every few years.

And by the way, are any of your solutions ever even remotely realistic, Lazyjunkie?

Nah, not the solutions I post around here. I save the realistic ones for work. No way in hell I'd post them here. I get paid for the real ones.

Dumpsterwatch 2009 begins.

Chicago members: keep us updated.

Given the economy, I doubt that CBS would trash it...they'd probably give it to WCBS, WJZ, or WBZ. That might just be wishful thinking, however...

During the news last night )3/13), a reporter discussing the hard economic times closed his segment with a mention that a certain station was looking to lease out a studio with a great view. I giggled a little.

I don't understand why they don't go back to using the rest of the news set and sports area. It's stupid to waste that space for no apparent reason. Studio 5 (WMAQ, NBC 5) looked like crap in the beginning, but they used every bit of the space they had while making changes along the way.

WBBM could have made modifications to the tv wall behind the anchors and been done with it. Truthfully, they shouldn't have been/still be concerned about that anyway. In any event, I don't think subleasing is going to save them enough money without considering cutting newscasts/people sometime in the future.

I don't understand why they don't go back to using the rest of the news set and sports area. It's stupid to waste that space for no apparent reason. Studio 5 (WMAQ, NBC 5) looked like crap in the beginning, but they used every bit of the space they had while making changes along the way.

WBBM could have made modifications to the tv wall behind the anchors and been done with it. Truthfully, they shouldn't have been/still be concerned about that anyway. In any event, I don't think subleasing is going to save them enough money without considering cutting newscasts/people sometime in the future.

I think they're just trying to get people used to the fact now that there will be no more extravagant news set. Just a window in the background. Maybe they're saving a few dollars by not having a couple union guys spin the anchor desk around each day.

If/when they make the move to the newsroom, maybe they can go back to their 1970's setup. Forget moving the anchor desk upstairs. Just stick a couple chairs in the middle of the newsroom for Rob and Anne. Steve can do the weather from the actual weather office and Ryan can do sports from the sports department. At the end of the newscast, Steve and Ryan can just pull up a couple chairs from a couple of the surrounding desks to sit at for the closing anchor shot. Might as well bring back the old Enforcer music too.

• 4 weeks later...

It appears the set is starting to get dismantled.. most of the streetside studio windows (except for directly behind the anchor desk and directly behind the weather center) have been covered up and it looks in there as slowly, pieces of the set are coming apart and disappearing..

It appears the set is starting to get dismantled.. most of the streetside studio windows (except for directly behind the anchor desk and directly behind the weather center) have been covered up and it looks in there as slowly, pieces of the set are coming apart and disappearing..

This is not true at all. I was just near CBS 2 and the entire set is still intact. Please do not circulate information that is not true. Thank you.

This is not true at all. I was just near CBS 2 and the entire set is still intact. Please do not circulate information that is not true. Thank you.

Yes, by watching some videos on CBS2's website, it appears that the entire set is still intact.

Is the monitor wall still up? I have to say that it really is a waste of space down there. They rarely use the sports set, nor do they use the two large screens that used to flank the desk. I actually think their newsroom looks tons better than the studio.

Is the monitor wall still up? I have to say that it really is a waste of space down there. They rarely use the sports set, nor do they use the two large screens that used to flank the desk. I actually think their newsroom looks tons better than the studio.

The fake monitor wall (with 2 real monitors), sports set, and two large screens behind the anchor desk are all still there.

Archived