WNBC, WNYW sharing resources

NYNews

WNBC and WNYW are planning a deal for the two stations to share a helicopter to cut costs as the NY Daily News reports. I wonder which station's helicopter would be cut? And how will it workout, ie: will there only be video feed with no commentary?

I think the Daily News article had quotes from the stations claiming that they were going to keep their own chopper reporters... not exactly sure how that'll work.

So when the economy gets better, will the stations end these sharing agreements, or is this just the beginning? Where do you draw the line?

I think the Daily News article had quotes from the stations claiming that they were going to keep their own chopper reporters... not exactly sure how that'll work.

So when the economy gets better, will the stations end these sharing agreements, or is this just the beginning? Where do you draw the line?

In Los Angeles, these are called duopolies. KCBS/KCAL, KTTV/KCOP, KNBC/KVEA/KWHY..ultimately this leaves the chance for KABC, KTLA and KMEX (which btw is the Southland's #1 newscast, beating out all English language station). I would not be surprised in Tribune were sold to ABC or shared resources with KABC. I doubt LA will do this, but you never know.

Does WABC still have use of two choppers with NewsCopter 7 and the MetroCopter?

Well both of the choppers are refered to as "News Copter 7" one of them is white with a blue circle 7, and the other is mostly blue with a white or fully colored Circle 7. They used to have a promo for the "two" choppers in HD, but they don't air that promo anymore. One of the choppers is in HD the other is only in SD or SD Widescreen, but I'm assuming they are only using one Chopper now, they hardly even use the Chopper, they don't do live segments like they used too except for the morning hours with John DelGiorno, its not as common as it used to be during the 5PM broadcast..

They may not be as frequent but Shannon Sohn has done live reports for the 5pm newscast.

WABC updated her bio photo a few months ago, a lot better then that screen cap of her in the chopper they were using.

Archived