FOX O&O's To Centralize Graphics

Weeters

From FLNewsCenter.com:

03/20/09 - Sources tell Florida News Center that Tampa's WTVT will house a new digital centralized graphics/media system for all FOX O&O stations (listed below). The station will create, maintain and deliver all graphics packages, animations and other multimedia aspects via their Kennedy Ave. studios. This centralization will result in new jobs at WTVT (which the station is already advertising for on MyFoxTampaBay.com). However, the new jobs in Tampa will cancel out multiple positions across the country and at FOX O&O stations. Look for the new centralization at WTVT in summer '09. Stay tuned to FNC for further updates.

Well, that sucks for the other FOX O&O stations. It seems to me that FOX has taken interest in WTVT and decided to make it their flagship station. They do have more resources at their disposal compared to even the NY, LA, and Chicago FOX stations...

Guest Former Member 207

I would have thought that the centralization would have been done out of Los Angeles, since the network headquarters are based there, or out of New York City, where the television stations division is headquartered.

I would have thought that the centralization would have been done out of Los Angeles, since the network headquarters are based there, or out of New York City, where the television stations division is headquartered.

Well, the whole point of this is to save money and they could probably get away with paying them a little less out in Tampa than in LA or NY. FOX has felt they've always had a great creative team down in Tampa (they are the base of the current FOX O&O look) so might as well take advantage of them to their fullest. I know there were a couple graphics people at a particular FOX O&O that were offered transfers down there. However, I'm not sure if they're taking it or not.

The Fox group package is generic and weak, why they would want all of their stations to look like that is beyond me.

They probably chose Florida because it's a "right to work" state...they don't have to staff with union employees...."union creatives"...kind of an oxymoron.

nah,. they probably just want a reason to come to FL Why? I have no clue lol

probably nothing.

Remember, Fox O&Os are rolling out a *new* graphics package. This is the one that will probably form the basis of the hubbed look. They'll probably still offer this package for syndication to other stations, as is the case with the current look. (Isn't KTVI in St. Louis, which is now a Local TV/Tribune, using the new look?)

About Tampa, leaving aside all the obvious money and cost issues... seeing the work they put out creatively, I'd probably base it there too.

probably nothing.

Remember, Fox O&Os are rolling out a *new* graphics package. This is the one that will probably form the basis of the hubbed look. They'll probably still offer this package for syndication to other stations, as is the case with the current look. (Isn't KTVI in St. Louis, which is now a Local TV/Tribune, using the new look?)

About Tampa, leaving aside all the obvious money and cost issues... seeing the work they put out creatively, I'd probably base it there too.

YES, KTVI is using the new look..

probably nothing.

Eh, KTVI is kinda using the new look. The logo and open is pretty much the same as the others, but the lower 3rds and such are slightly different as they don't have the red bar for them (like KTTV, WNYW, KDFW, etc), instead it's black. Also the font is different compared to the others. So in a way they are using the new O&O look but also, it's slightly different from KTTV and WNYW which are pretty much carbon copies of each other except with different numbers.

Let's not forget that WTVT, was the first Fox O&O to use the standardized graphics originally so maybe they have the best equipment for that down there or something.

Here we go again...

I wonder what former O&Os that still have that look will do.

I was wondering the same thing, but something tells me that Local TV/Tribune will continue to emulate the FOX O&O look like that attempted to do with KSWB in San Diego. However, stations like WBRC which in the process of being acquired by Raycom, it is up in the air. Raycom might continue the O&O look since WBRC will become one of their larger market stations behind Cleveland and Charlotte. However, Raycom is also known for coming up with these "unique" looks for their FOX affiliates...

• 3 months later...

Yeah, AXIS and Tampa launched last week I believe. WTXF launched the opens and segment graphics a few weeks prior, but kept the other stuff with the old look until the new system was launched. This seems to be the case with some of the other O&Os; some of them used blue or modified versions of the lower thirds that were switched to the standard red last week.

There definitely seem to be a few kinks with the WTXF on-air product; there's not as much graphics as there used to be, and animations often freeze or don't play out all the way. I've had a hard time getting a cap of their new open since they switched, because either it randomly cuts out towards the end or they don't bother to run it at all.

But I will say this - the look is far better than Gannett's, simply because they have a decent base graphics set and great music to base it around.

I wish more stations would customize their graphics like WFXT:

[yt]540SZfaPUQs&hd=1[/yt]

I have never been a fan of KDFW's graphics. They are always way too plain and boring (which makes their product look cheap). I also hate how they blur out the backgrounds on their new HD graphics.

Archived