Bill Vargas contract was not renewed and will no longer be on FOX

TVNewsAnalyzer

it's a new GM running things over at KYW, so Dawn's not totally out of the question although I'd still leave it at unlikely...

...still, it's not like 29 is telegraphing Dawn's impending departure so much as showing a giant blinking neon sign...

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed lately that at the closing of the News at Ten, Kerri-Lee has been sitting next to Thomas, where the sports person usually sits. Is she now an official part of the 10pm newscast? Or does it have to do with Billy V's departure? Or is this a sign of the deemphasization of sports?

Kerri-Lee has been part of the 10pm news for awhile now, since the 11pm experiment ended. The setup is remniscent of what WLS in Chicago does, where Ron Magers and Kathy Brock are joined by contributing anchor Cheryl Burton. This seems confusing, but in practice Burton's role seems to be to introduce one news story in the A-block, so her role is more like a Stephanie Stahl or Cherie Bank. It's a very logical and comprehensible setup.

Of course, Fox 29 lives in Bizarro World so logic and comprehension are foreign concepts to them.

Kerri-Lee appears during the newscast more or less randomly. Sometimes they'll have her introduce and report the first story. Sometimes you'll see her - not Dawn or Thomas - as the first face you see. There has even been one night where I've seen Kerri-Lee and Thomas together at the desk. I seriously thought Dawn was off that night until she magically appeared midway into the A-block.

I really miss when Fox 29 actually broadcast a competent, straight-to-the-point newscast.

Billy V's last show was last night. He thanked everybody behind the scenes and he thanked his co-anchors.

I am saddened by this latest casualty at WTXF. What is the matter with these people? Why can't they keep good people around?

I miss the good old days at FOX 29. Their news used to be actually good before all these changes and departures.

As for the sports, I kind of like Joe Sestack. I think he does a good job. He knows what he's talking about. Anybody but Hugh! Anybody but Hugh!

Billy V's last show was last night. He thanked everybody behind the scenes and he thanked his co-anchors.

I am saddened by this latest casualty at WTXF. What is the matter with these people? Why can't they keep good people around?

I miss the good old days at FOX 29. Their news used to be actually good before all these changes and departures.

As for the sports, I kind of like Joe Sestack. I think he does a good job. He knows what he's talking about. Anybody but Hugh! Anybody but Hugh!

It's Stezak. Sestack is my jackass of a congressman.

Hugh is a Clown. Fox29 can't be stupid enough to make him the new sports anchor

Archived