Why Doesn't CSI: NY Mention WCBS in episodes?

newswatch

In the original CSI, they show CBS Channel 8 KLAS in a few episodes. In the Miami spinoff with David Caruso, they have shown CBS-owned WFOR Channel 4.

However, in the 2nd spinoff with Gary Sinise: all they show is fictional station Channel 8 New York, but not one mention of the real station, which is WCBS Channel 2.

The original show KLAS, and the Miami spinoff mentions WFOR; so why doesn't New York spinoff mention WCBS in some episodes?

Probably because the whole show is an unrealistic interpretation of the city itself. I'm sure the city government didn't want to have that many real references in the show, to distance itself from the show. The city government has brought crime down tons since the 80s, and it is the safest large city in the country. I'm sure they didn't want negative PR.

Probably because the whole show is an unrealistic interpretation of the city itself. I'm sure the city government didn't want to have that many real references in the show, to distance itself from the show. The city government has brought crime down tons since the 80s, and it is the safest large city in the country. I'm sure they didn't want negative PR.

The government of New York City has no authority over whether or not WCBS allows the producers of CSI: NY to use their mic flags, newsvans, etc. And the government does the opposite from distancing itself from the show; it allows the show to use the official NYPD logo, NYPD seals, and mock NYPD patrol cars in every episode. The city also gives the producers a small tax credit for filming portions of their episodes in New York City. At least twice a season, the cast and crew of CSI: NY comes to the City to film unique scenes for upcoming episodes that can't be replicated back in Hollywood, where the show's main sound stage is located.

Back to the WCBS on CSI: NY question -- it's up to WCBS to allow the CSI producers to use their image. If CSI uses their Las Vegas and Miami stations, I'm sure they probably asked their New York station the same. WCBS probably turned them down for some reason.....maybe for the reasons DMA mentioned above...wanting to distance itself from a show that doesn't accurately portray the City.

I'm not saying that they mandate stuff, that's ridiculous, but I'm sure the city has at least a little bit of input in how the city is cast in the showm to protect it's image. They've done so in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened in some extent in the past...

Arthur Chi'en, back when he was with CBS 2, played the role of a reporter for some CBS show. I can't recall if it was CSI.

Back in the late '90s, Dana Tyler appeared at the end of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond in a promo, which also used CBS 2's logo, graphics, music and set.

And then the movie "War of the Worlds" used Roz Abrams and a CBS 2 van but I think they used different graphics when shots of TV screens were used.

I'm not saying that they mandate stuff, that's ridiculous, but I'm sure the city has at least a little bit of input in how the city is cast in the showm to protect it's image. They've done so in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if it's happened in some extent in the past...

No, the City government doesn't have even a little input in how the City's image is portrayed on television or in any medium for that matter. Fictional television shows and movies, just like news reports, are a protected form of speech. So long as what's expressed is not done so with the intent to do harm or incite riots, the form of speech is protected.

Come to think of it, I don't believe Law & Order or the spin-offs mention WNBC in any of their episodes either.

I know I have seen MSNBC and the 4 logos on L/O - even if not mentioned.

How is excluding a television station's mic flags protecting the city's image, when clearly they are making it known that the show is filmed in NYC?

I believe it is up to the television station and not the government. KDFW did some "news reports" for Prison Break, back when they were filming in Dallas.

UPDATE:

On the 4/15 episode of "CSI: NY", there was footage from WCBS aired...only it wasn't labeled as WCBS. The episode centers around a media mogul attacked in his office. The crime scene/office area featured many flat screens tuned to different channels, presumably owned by the media mogul's company. One of the screens clearly show none other than Dana Tyler and Jim Rosenfield anchoring a newscast at the WCBS set...except, the graphics used are for a fictional Channel 8.

UPDATE:

On the 4/15 episode of "CSI: NY", there was footage from WCBS aired...only it wasn't labeled as WCBS. The episode centers around a media mogul attacked in his office. The crime scene/office area featured many flat screens tuned to different channels, presumably owned by the media mogul's company. One of the screens clearly show none other than Dana Tyler and Jim Rosenfield anchoring a newscast at the WCBS set...except, the graphics used are for a fictional Channel 8.

That's interesting because it has been about a year since Jim Rosenfield was on CBS 2.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a matter of money I'm guessing. The anchors would be considered "actors" for the purposes of the production and because of their local fame it costs the production companies more to "hire" reporters and anchors from WCBS than just hiring actors.

Since actors are being used it might confuse the audience or otherwise impact the WCBS brand so they use the channel 8.

Additionally, the other stations (exception to WFOR) are not O&Os and likely to have a bit more time to assist. WFOR and WINK have both been used in CSI: Miami.

Archived