Mike Sheehan Fired by WYNY Fox 5

j.wer

A big shame, he used to do those nice investigative reports on WNYW, very interesting stuff too, I'm sure they must've had another motive and they probably used the horse incident as an alibi..

A big shame, he used to do those nice investigative reports on WNYW, very interesting stuff too, I'm sure they must've had another motive and they probably used the horse incident as an alibi..

If that was the case, they would have fired him a long time ago. No, what they did was get rid of the weakest link and that weakest link was indeed Mike Sheehan.

And people on other sites report that they did not prefer him or Penny Crone to others that were shown the door. To tell you the truth, I did not care for Sheehan that much, but I loved Penny and I'm mad as hell that she has not reappeared on tv yet. Some day, though. Some day...

Not a big fan of him.

He was probably fired b/c of the following:

1.) The incident didn't bode well with the bosses.

2.) He's old and the new trend in the industry are new faces.

3.) WNYW trying to cut costs.

4.) WNYW probably figured they can never win the 5/6pm news races and their 10pm is always going to be #1 because of FOX's lead-ins, the can just put any content out there. (i.e, why pay more, just b/c this guy has connections, when his reports or himself doesn't generate ratings.)

Some of those were already mentioned. Without working with a contract is probaly the area where this all comes from. I'll go with get a newbie, they work cheap. They don't have the connections, skill, etc. like Mike, but all the stations are looking in this direction.

IMHO the local and national TV news, like the newspapers, are on their way out. Unless you're on 24 hours a day and that's the only way to go.

Mike was the AFTRA Shop Steward at 5.

And I wonder if that didn't have something to do with his dismissal. Was he vocal (as a union rep should be) about the cost-cutting measures and other firings that have been going on at Fox5 for the last few months? If so, it's an easy way to silence him....

'Most' employers would fire an employee for this kind of situation. And certainly being in a high-profile position as a TV reporter makes the job a little easier. And perhaps this was also an easy excuse to cut the guy if they were unhappy with something or perhaps cutting costs.

• 4 weeks later...
I would have liked to have Mike on the four mongrel Holy War terrorists story today. He always got that little extra info from the police.

Agreed. He always reminded me of the great reporting that John Miller did at WNBC in the 90s. Both Sheehan and Miller were great with police stories.

Thanks. I do think he worked for the City on his way up the ladder.

If memory serves, he worke for News 4 during the late 80s/early 90s, then joined (or rejoined, not sure) the NYPD. After he left the PD, he rejoined News 4 for a while. He was then I believe co-anchor of 20/20 over at ABC network.

Archived