Most Awkward News Moments

dman247

Last summer I was watching WFIE while home visiting family. The anchor (I think Ann Komis) tossed to a live report during the 6:00, from the riverfront, about the Freedom Festival activities that day. Only you could barely see the reporter because he had forgotten to either WHITE BALANCE his camera (the reporter's face was to the sun) or there was something wrong with the link (I, personally, think he forgot to white balance).

So...you would think that while the minute-thirty package was airing, someone in the studio or, I dunno, the ENG truck tech would try to fix the problem. You would be wrong, when the taped piece finished the live shot was still obliterated.

So...you would think that while the minute-thirty package was airing, someone in the studio or, I dunno, the ENG truck tech would try to fix the problem. You would be wrong, when the taped piece finished the live shot was still obliterated.

ya cant fix stupid

• 2 weeks later...

In Oklahoma City, I saw a painfully awkward moment for one of our female anchors.

She was filling in for another anchor. Somehow they lost track of what story should be next. She actually had to stop, pause, and say on-air "What page guys?" and wait for them to tell her. She handled it beautifully, all things considered, but it was painfully awkward for the viewers, suffering on her behalf.

I saw a male anchor once, right at the end of a show, he just completely lost his train of thought. He just stood there kinda stunned. The female anchor bailed him out beautifully.

The funniest moment I ever saw was when a female anchor was laughing so hard that she couldn't do her segue into a commentary and the weatherman had to do it.

Then how did the person record it unless they worked at the station?

I didn't see that.

most likely the person who recorded it did work at that station, because thats one of those things that you do just for the blooper reel, most likely he went longer than he was supposed to and they were going to have to record it over again. kind of like this http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1617720025

ok i dont know why the link isnt working, just copy and paste sports doppler 7000 into the search bar

Maybe around 1998 or '99, during the middle of the 6PM news on KTRK, I recall Shara Fryer making a bit of a verbal gaffe regarding a story dealing with Confederate Flags in Georgia or SC or something... Anyway in the final sentence or two she ended up saying 'Confederate Fags--FLAGS--' and on from there. The segment wrapped up maybe :15 to :20 later, and the whole end of it seemed a bit uneasy. No big deal though...

I know I inadvertently taped it at the time, but I'm not certain if I taped over it since then. So many unmarked tapes at my parents' house... haha

One of the more infamous news bloopers in Memphis happened several years ago when anchor Brooke Sanders of WMC-TV was doing a live voice-over in studio for a party in Memphis celebrating Rufus Thomas and his hit dance craze "The Funky Chicken" and instead of saying "Funky", Brooke said another word that sounds pretty similar to it :) Her co-anchor at that time, and Memphis news legend, Kim Hindrew, was looking at Brooke when she said this, and as she says it, instantaneously turns her head at the camera and makes this hilarious smile, making it obvious to the viewer Brooke said what we all heard too (the camera was in a two-shot). Brooke is clearly embarrassed and starts to flush and has trouble finishing her line, though does get through it. Then Kim picks up immediately after, and in classic manner for her, doesn't miss a beat, as that smile wipes away instantly and her serious news manner returns as she begins her lines.

This video aired a year or two ago in a WMC blooper story they did, and I have that on tape somewhere. I might have to find that, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the 70s when TV news was still written on typewriters, WJLA in Washington DC had a reporter sit in a standard four-wheel desk chair in the newsroom and do a live 30-second news cut-in around 3 P.M. It was a different reporter each day.

One day the camera popped up and there was only a chair.

5 seconds goes by... 10 seconds... 15 seconds... Then suddenly there's some excited chatter in the background followed by the sound of people moving around and the rustling of papers.

20... 25... A reporter literally jumps sideways into the chair, script in hand.

And the wheeled chair rolls away, carrying the surprised reporter out of frame just as the camera goes to black.

• 3 weeks later...

From WAVY Monday night.

Alveta Ewell and Les Smith read the story intro, and toss to Adam Owens, live in the Daily Press newspaper's newsroom. However, when they cut to him, he's still on a cell phone, which he quickly puts down.

Had to be there I guess.

Guest GForceTV

On WJAR-10, during a news story on the Station Nightclub fire, WLNE-6 News briefly flashed up on the plasma screen.

True story.

Archived