Local to buy Young Stations?

Bucc

According the the Times Union's Business Blog, here in Albany, NY:

"WTEN Ch. 10, now owned by Young Broadcasting Inc., is attracting attention from potential buyers. Sources at the ABC affiliate in Albany say executives from Local TV LLC toured the station late last week. The company is interested in buying at least several — if not all — of the 10 stations that Young Broadcasting owns, and has already visited many of those stations."

http://blogs.timesunion.com/business/?p=12454

You have no idea how exciting this could be, for viewers who have seen the quality of WTEN's News product become crappier by the day! But, my question, do these Local TV stations have quality newscasts? Because WTEN has become awful.

Besides seeing talent leave and a new website, I haven't seen many things change with WITI, or at any Local TV owned station previously owned by FTSG. Local TV seems to be one of those companies that "collects" stations and doesn't do much with them.

Besides seeing talent leave and a new website, I haven't seen many things change with WITI, or at any Local TV owned station previously owned by FTSG. Local TV seems to be one of those companies that "collects" stations and doesn't do much with them.

Interesting...ok, yea the article explains how they just go tons of Fox stations...hummm well we will have 2 wait & see then!

How people like Local TV mostly depends. One of my friends who works as a former FOX O & O (now owned by local) isn't overly impressed (she had to add more hours). The other that works at a CBS one really likes it and they have pour a lot of money in, (she's an anchor there).

Young Broadcasting owns WRIC. WTVR is now owned by Local TV. The question is: Will we see another ownership change in the Richmond area if the rumors are true?

Hmm, I was thinking the same thing...Would Local again take the higher rated station? (not sure if 'RIC is rated higher, we only get WTVR out here in So. MD.)

WBAY's production quality has gone down the toilet in the past few years as well. That said, they are still [iSTR] number one in the market. It wouldn't surprise me if they are one of, or THE, strongest station in Young's group, but they could use some improvement. Whether Local TV LLC would bring it if they bought the station, I don't know.

Hmm, I was thinking the same thing...Would Local again take the higher rated station? (not sure if 'RIC is rated higher, we only get WTVR out here in So. MD.)

WTVR is far higher rated and I think young has just thrown in the towel for WRIC.

WBAY's production quality has gone down the toilet in the past few years as well. That said' date=' they are still [iSTR'] number one in the market. It wouldn't surprise me if they are one of, or THE, strongest station in Young's group, but they could use some improvement. Whether Local TV LLC would bring it if they bought the station, I don't know.

KELO & KWQC are still the highest. I always hear the KELO has kept young in existence money wise. They are a cash cow!

I think WKRN could be helped by Local and they would finally go HD (probably). They have a good team there.

yeah, I dont know... Local owns WQAD here in the Quad Cities, and Young owns KWQC here in the QC.... I dont know if itll work out.... but if Young were to be bought, Local seems like a fair company, I think it would be better for them.

No blood bath at KTVI...yet. It could be safe for Local to by the Young group, but I wouldn't expect any miracles out of WKRN...

I don't think so either. Maybe the quality of the newscasts might improve a little bit. But isn't WTVF a powerhouse in Nashville? Also, is WSMV pretty competive too or do you think WKRN might be a good competitor against WSMV if it is retooled the right way?

I don't think so either. Maybe the quality of the newscasts might improve a little bit. But isn't WTVF a powerhouse in Nashville? Also, is WSMV pretty competive too or do you think WKRN might be a good competitor against WSMV if it is retooled the right way?

It's pretty much a competitive battle between WSMV and WTVF in the Nashville market, with WKRN being the perennial #3 station in the city.

• 1 month later...

Here's some new info, from Broadcasting & Cable: Report: Young Stations to be Auctioned July 14

"The Young Broadcasting assets are to be auctioned off July 14 in New York, according to a report in the Tennessean newspaper, which says the company will be sold or reorganized as a whole, according to its attorneys at the Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal law offices."

here's the article

I'm kind of puzzled what LocalTV plans on buying the Young stations with. Raising that sort of capital has become next to impossible since the bank meltdown last year, plus LocalTV is swimming in debt.

I think you need a (free) TVNewsDay subscription to see this...

http://www.tvnewsday.com/articles/2009/07/08/daily.1/

"According to other industry sources, there are at least three entities possibly interested in obtaining all, or at least a piece, of the bankrupt station group: Local TV LLC, Nexstar Broadcasting Group and Silver Point Capital."

Uhoh, Nexstar... can't wait for "BayAreaHomepage.com" for KRON, "TheRichmondSite.com" for WRIC, and "GoNashville.net" for WKRN!

I think you need a (free) TVNewsDay subscription to see this...

http://www.tvnewsday.com/articles/2009/07/08/daily.1/

"According to other industry sources, there are at least three entities possibly interested in obtaining all, or at least a piece, of the bankrupt station group: Local TV LLC, Nexstar Broadcasting Group and Silver Point Capital."

Uhoh, Nexstar... can't wait for "BayAreaHomepage.com" for KRON, "TheRichmondSite.com" for WRIC, and "GoNashville.net" for WKRN!

I would much rather not see Nexstar buying the Tennessee properties. They don't need to be run any cheaper than they already are.

I have no idea about Silver Point.

Nexstar doesn't believe in reasonably short, succinct URLs, do they?

Given a choice, I'd be promoting "FoxCitiesTV.com" over "EverythingFoxCities.com" any day.

Local doesn't want to "bet on a loser" and Nexstar's up to its collective hairline in red ink ($652 million in debt). Makes it look like those two may be out of the question.

How would buying several of the Young stations via auction be "bet[ting] on a loser"?

Archived