HD playback on WABC and WNBC?

IceManNYR

I've noticed whenever WABC plays back segments or shows taped in their studio they are never HD.

If you watched those taped sports reports for the weekend AM news they look worse then VHS in SLP mode.

On WNBC all taped studio segments are played back SD 16:9.

Does anyone know if either station ever plans to record their studio segments and shows in HD?

I give WABC credit that they at least are broadcasting syndicated programming in HD.

The only local non news HD programming on WNBC are the LX.TV shows.

IIRC, WNBC and WCAU bought HD equipment pretty early, without the ability to show the syndicated shows in HD. I wouldn't expect an upgrade anytime soon.

Here's an example of the quality on the WABC taped studio segments,

bc21a136697046.gif5dca2936697302.gif13a70536697303.gif

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

On a side note, is Marvell Scott still with WABC?

I've noticed the 3 weeks Scott has done taped sports reports in the am while Jessica was on at 6pm and 11pm.

Odd, his bio is still on the website, probably on a long vacation or something.

I've noticed whenever WABC plays back segments or shows taped in their studio they are never HD.

If you watched those taped sports reports for the weekend AM news they look worse then VHS in SLP mode.

On WNBC all taped studio segments are played back SD 16:9.

Does anyone know if either station ever plans to record their studio segments and shows in HD?

I give WABC credit that they at least are broadcasting syndicated programming in HD.

The only local non news HD programming on WNBC are the LX.TV shows.

Sounds like the problem with all the stations here is that all of these programs except for LX.TV are produced "Live to tape". WABC must not be able to ingest in 16:9 from Production Control, and WNBC (IIRC) doesn't have HD playback for anything, just 16:9 SD.

IIRC, WNBC and WCAU bought HD equipment pretty early, without the ability to show the syndicated shows in HD. I wouldn't expect an upgrade anytime soon.

That has to do with the ridiculous jackassery that is the master control hub. When it was built in '02, the only HD programing that was out there was the very few and fr between network programs and some sporting events. Nowadays damned near everything is HD and the stations fed by the hub are now behind the curve.

I find it odd that the east coast flagships for two networks can't do HD playback. We've go this on every station in St. Louis, including no news KDNL...(I think).

While it's not the most important thing, it shows poor forethought at WABC and WNBC. Technology moves at the speed of light.

I find it odd that the east coast flagships for two networks can't do HD playback. We've go this on every station in St. Louis, including no news KDNL...(I think).

While it's not the most important thing, it shows poor forethought at WABC and WNBC. Technology moves at the speed of light.

I'm surprised WNBC did not consider upgrading their equipment, after all of that work building their new set.

Has anyone mentioned that the Burbank hub can feed high definition syndicated content to KNTV and KNSD (and I would assume KNBC as well)? It took a while, but I know for a fact that Ellen is in HD on KNTV, and KNSD shows both Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! in HD. If the Burbank hub has this capability, I'd assume it would be coming to the other hubs soon.

In-newscast HD playback has nothing to do with the hub, however, and all to do with the playout server system the station has.

Has anyone mentioned that the Burbank hub can feed high definition syndicated content to KNTV and KNSD (and I would assume KNBC as well)? It took a while, but I know for a fact that Ellen is in HD on KNTV, and KNSD shows both Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! in HD. If the Burbank hub has this capability, I'd assume it would be coming to the other hubs soon.

In-newscast HD playback has nothing to do with the hub, however, and all to do with the playout server system the station has.

Yeah at this time the Burbank Hub is the only one that is HD. In fact if any of the stations in the station group (no matter which hub controls it) want to run a promo in HD, they currently have to pass it to Burbank for processing (AFD, etc) before going out to the respective hub.

Scott was in 16:9 SD for the tape sports report this AM. It had been SD 4:3 the past weeks.

I've noticed the taped Friday editions of Live With Regis and Kelly and any taped interviews during a live episode are SD 16:9.

Scott was in 16:9 SD for the tape sports report this AM. It had been SD 4:3 the past weeks.

I've noticed the taped Friday editions of Live With Regis and Kelly and any taped interviews during a live episode are SD 16:9.

Yeah the Friday shows are typically often aired as re-runs or are heavily taped segments.

That's weird. WTVJ just started airing Ellen in HD from a few weeks ago, but that's about it for syndicated programming. What I'm not really happy about is the inability for them to store archived footage from news segments in HD or even widescreen SD.

Emily Smith had to come in and sub for Phil today.

Was this her first time in the anchor chair?

Anyone know what's up with WABC's robo cams this weekend?

At least once or twice in each newscast the graphic box on the top right has been on the side of the news anchors face, talking a long time for the camera to be panned to the right to give more space.

Archived