WLS VO out after 19 Years

NBC 5 Chicago

http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/1595787,CST-FIN-lew28.article

This is very interesting. This is the first change from WLS in years. So does this mean they will update all their opens/talent opens? Or is this just going to be used for promos now instead of Ron Rolland. It will be interesting to see.

http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/1595787,CST-FIN-lew28.article

This is very interesting. This is the first change from WLS in years. So does this mean they will update all their opens/talent opens? Or is this just going to be used for promos now instead of Ron Rolland. It will be interesting to see.

*Usually* when a new voiceover is brought in, they tend to tweak the graphics or change music. Wasn't there a rumor several months back that WLS was going to get new music? So let's see what happens with that. Interesting that they chose Roger Rose, not the best replacement for Ron Rolland (which may purely be a financial move).

*Usually* when a new voiceover is brought in' date=' they tend to tweak the graphics or change music. Wasn't there a rumor several months back that WLS was going to get new music? So let's see what happens with that. Interesting that they chose Roger Rose, not the best replacement for Ron Rolland (which may purely be a financial move).[/quote']

If that is the case, then WGAL would've got the new H/A package MONTHS AGO. WGAL still uses a dead guy for their main v/o's. Sometimes they have the new person doing it, but most of the time, not. Ugh, come on WGAL.

-- Matt

Roberta Solomon is definitely one of the worse.

Let me guess: Roger Rose is cheaper? I know times are getting tough, but a change like this can have an effect. What that effect is, time will tell.

Well, what struck me in that article was the fact that Ron Rolland was, in fact, a contract/staff announcer for WLS. This makes him essentially one of the last of his breed if not the last - it's cheaper for stations to phone in a Roger Rose or a Bill Ratner or a Charlie Van Dyke.

And I agree with Al Vanik. I've been actually hearing more of him lately, as National Cinemedia got him to voice some spots for their website during their "FirstLook" movie ad thing. He sounds great and could probably take the added work.

I have really enjoyed Ron Rolland as ABC 7's announcer. I have never liked when they used someone else for their promo spots. It won't be the same without him. I question why they are changing if Ron was willing to continue and their news product continues to be #1. Why tweak anything?

I don't understand why they don't have Roger Thompson fill in for all the spots they're dropping Ron from? They already use Roger for half the promos and "Closed Captioning" announcements, why not upgrade him to full-time? at least we're used to his voice.

But since they aren't doing that, I wonder if they're dropping Roger too.

(And that WAS an actual e-mail I got from Thomas Hebel about the music. Since they were only in discussions, it's entirely possible that the idea got dropped.)

I have really enjoyed Ron Rolland as ABC 7's announcer. I have never liked when they used someone else for their promo spots. It won't be the same without him. I question why they are changing if Ron was willing to continue and their news product continues to be #1. Why tweak anything?

The main reason: ABC 7 News is currently Chicago's #1 news. However, it's #1 due to the middle-aged to old viewers that have continually been watching ABC 7 for years.. ABC 7 News isn't showing enough growth within the younger (< 30) demographics. The station needs to attract more of the younger audience to keep their high ratings. They don't want to majorly change the newscasts or image because that could very well destroy their being in #1 by alienating its current audience. Management figured that a subtle change such as changing the voiceover to a younger "more hip" sounding voice for the opens and promos might attract some of the younger crowd.

• 1 month later...

Archived