KDKA-TV Getting New Set From FX

takingaction4you

Wow! You should write for the NewscastStudio Blog.

LOL I GIT IT!!!!111456464

But I kinda just told the truth, sorry for answering that honestly. I'll let the fan boys finish it up.

Good thing to see you're the cool kid on TVNT!!!!! You really do contribute as a moderator with your smart ass remarks.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well ill watch at 4 to see if everything goes smoothly

i'm shocked their weather graphics didnt get an update...it needs one..

and i'm thankful they kept VIPIR....although they could use Fast Trac more!

--Jordan

I'll admit, I was a little sad that this wasn't a full-scale HD rebrand, but I understand. Don't count KD out, either. We're the ones who whined and whined, "Why haven't they gone HD yet?"

Well, they got the hard part done. Rewiring the aging structure of Gateway Center, refreshing the set. Hell, even the teeny tiny desk in the newsroom got a bit of attention in the way of a new background. The hard part, getting the basic broadcast in high def and training on the new equipment, it largely done. Now that that's out of the way, KD can work on approaching the opens and the remaining graphics.

One thing that makes me believe that more is on the way is that I doubt KDKA would lose out on the marketing in the opens: "Now broadcasting in HD!" or something like that. Either they aren't going to, or they're waiting to complete the new opens to update the voiceover. I know for a fact (thanks, Jim Lokay's twitter!) that the talent shoot was completed early this month, so new opens must be coming at some point.

I want to point out again that KDKA, as successful and as powerful of a station as it is, is not given carte blanche with a huge trust fund. I don't know if this is on par with the other stations, I hear CBS is pretty tight with the purse strings. Sad to say we may be lucky to get what we got; the financial situation is much worse now than it was when WPXI, or even WTAE started their transitions to HD.

Finally, KDKA is a ratings powerhouse. I have a deep feeling that they were afraid that a total change would alienate too many people. I am not the average news viewer, but I'll admit that I stopped watching WTAE completely when they got the Gilmer package-- I just can't stand it. And Pittsburghers are finnicky; the ratings trends could probably be bumped that easily.

Alright, now on to the critique: love the set. FX did a good job of refreshing the old one... I find the "KDKA Your Home" logo up on top a little strange-- mainly because the Timesish font just doesn't work next to Eurostile. This might be the one time I encourage the use of that font anywhere other than the logo, but there it is.

I really like the monitors to the right and to the left. They remind me of other things FX has done, of course, but they also take me back to the 1989 KDKA set. I like watching the b-roll or the stock footage or whatever you want to call it that KDKA has gathered over the years play back on those monitors... and I think it's fun to watch stuff move on KDKA after years of static elements! The colors are great, and if KDKA could incorporate those into the opens at some point, that'd be nice too.

Now the videos! (Sorry they're not in HD, I recorded them via Slingbox as my sister has borrowed the Firewire cable I use to connect my DCT with my Mac. They're better than nothing, I s'pose.) Most of the glitches in these videos are Comcast's, with the exception of the weather segment, that was a problem with the clicker not responding to a command, and the stuttering zoom after the open. Not sure if that was Comcast's problem or KD's.

Weather Center:

New Set Story

Open/Establishing Shot:

1-shot with my beloved monitors:

KD89Set.jpg.6bbb221e3540641decaddafc103ab20a.jpg

Thanks for the videos! Great to see them!

I can see KDKA in the near future tweaking some things like their weather graphics, logo, and open. I didn't think they were going to get rid of the current music package, so no surprise there. Even though it isn't a complete overhaul, I think all anybody has to do is look at what KDKA has looked like for the past few years and then they will realize that the new look is for the better. Everything looks great!

Does the duratran look washed out and blue to anyone else?

No, it doesn't... considering that it's being broadcast from KDKA, compressed by Comcast, compressed further by my Slingbox, run through my custom ColorSync calibration profile and then recorded by a screen-recording program. :-/

God they need new gx. Watching it in HD shouldn't even qualify as calling it that. You would think the graphics would be at least expanded? No. They suck.

Amen to that! Sooo dissappointed.

Frankly, this is entirely too disappointing. At the very least they could've switched music to something not so synth-y. While I understand that the video walls are part of KD's heritage, it looks too much like a copy of WTAE.

Overall, the ball was dropped big-time. I guess it's time I stop holding my breath for some new graphics... these updates will be here for another 3 years, followed by some more mediocre updates.

And you're right: KDKA's set is uncomfortably similar.

To me you have FX to blame. Hopefully one day FX might just branch out of their comfort zone and design something unique for once.

To me you have FX to blame. Hopefully one day FX might just branch out of their comfort zone and design something unique for once.

Yeah, seriously. I'm getting sick of these cookie-cutter designs I'm seeing everywhere. And it's not just FX, but others as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived