CBS News legend nears death

newswatch

This notice came from an article this morning

http://mystateline.com/content/fulltext/?cid=76752

The legendary Walter Cronkite is nearing death.

He joined the CBS News family in the early 1950s under the direction of Edward R. Murrow, but the highest achievement was anchor of the CBS Evening News from 1962 to 1981.

Aspiring journalists like myself loves the idea of old school journalism, and Cronkite one of the bastions of old school journalism.

One of the factors is Objectivity - the goal you're trying to reach in the story you're reporting.

Believing in what you're reporting is also the factor; Cronkite did just that; it is how a story can impact you can a concerned citizen before passing it on to the American public. For example, how global warming impacts skiiers and snowboarders, with all the snow melting causing ski season to end early than expected; I was on the high school ski team, so I can relate; I believe in those stories, like Cronkite did in each one.

A reporter actually doing something and kicking ass is what Cronkite was. In 1977, he did a joint interview with Israel's Mechanem Begin and Egypt's Anwar Sadat, helping end all conflicts between the two countries and bring peace to the middle east, with President Jimmy Carter doing a triple handshake post-interview to seal the deal. Bring both sides together and ending all conflicts is what I want to do.

Believing in what you're reporting, bringing conflicting sides together, objectivity and other good stuff; Cronkite was that master of all that; I would like to be the master now. In today's screwed-up cable news world we're living in, it is time for us aspiring journalists to bring back old school journalism and honor Cronkite in that shape and form

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
many turned to him when disasters happened and listened to his calming' date=' reassuring, voice.[/quote']

Your manufactured grief is touching, but not really.

The old boy is still alive and kicking.

Never fear. Someone else famous who you don't actually know will die one day soon and then you can well back up with your faux sorrow.

Save your alleged grief for when a family member or close friend dies....that is, if you really give a damn.

Never fear. Someone else famous who you don't actually know will die one day soon and then you can well back up with your faux sorrow.

Save your alleged grief for when a family member or close friend dies....that is, if you really give a damn.

Way to use the old thesaurus.

wtf

Thanks for sharing that.

...can you leave now?

First heard about this a few days ago. He's sick' date=' but there's really no reason to say he's nearing death from what I've heard. He could hang in there for a few more years...[/quote']

Precisely. Thank heavens at least YOU get it. Deathwatch Cronkite began almost a month ago. He still lives.

This just in: Walter Cronkite has now passed away, after a long and very legendary life, which lasted 92 years. CBS News just broke this a few minutes ago, which came as a very shocking announcement. May he, who had delivered thousands of CBS Evening News broadcasts as an anchor, and a very honorable man, rest in peace.

Les? We're waiting.

Sad to hear but it is good to know what a impact he has left on news no matter the medium. maybe TV News will realize that it is not how loud you are saying it but how accurate and truthful it is. because at the end we want the truth and no matter how much someone thinks we can't handle it. is the job of the media to find it and Walter did it better than anyone ever has and ever will. Thank you Walter for showing how the News is suppose to be done.

RIP, Uncle Walt.

I'm glad that ABC News made sure to mention that CBS News forced him into retirement. Probably the WORST decision they ever made. They were literally held hostage by Dan Rather who proved to do nothing great for the network and left CBS News in worst shape than when he forced CBS to give him Cronkite's chair.

Sad to learn of this news. When the thread first popped up, I was a little hesitant to post because it seemed a little on the speculative side.

Cronkite was pretty far before my time, but you have to give him credit for being so dominant during his tenure. I mean, none of the networks couldn't get double-digit millions of viewers if they sold their souls to do so.

I didn't know he was suffering from complications from dementia.

Archived