FiOS1 News NJ and LI Launches 6/22

IceManNYR

Figured I'd break this out from the RNN thread,

Verizon is launching its FiOS1 News Channel for New Jersey and Long Island on Monday at 5am.

The NJ version will have news casts mixed with public affairs programming from the NJ PBS station NJN and Rye, NY based RNN.

They will air a High School Sports Game of The Week.

Infomercials will air 12am-5am.

As there has still been no press release by Verizon, that should come on Monday,

I believe RNN will be a partner for the FiOS1 newscasts and Verizon will be a sponsor of RNN's new newscasts which will be starting soon.

Can anyone with FiOS in Long Island let us know what shows are being used to fill the non FiOS1 newscast time slots?

For FiOS customers, channel 1 went from a a blank page to a Long Island news channel this morning, filling a void in local information from fiber optic television service. And, even better, the coverage is pretty good.

FiOS 1 offers your average newscast, with one anchor and a few correspondents, that so far seems smart and comprehensive. The political mess in Albany received a lot of attention this morning, as did Long Island’s biggest story of the day, the conclusion of U.S. Open in Farmingdale. Overall, reports were very Long Island focused, like one on Tom Suozzi’s stance on gay marriage.

MORE...

http://libn.com/thetechnofile/2009/06/22/fios-1-li-news-from-verizon-launches/

Is it possible that LI News and NJ News are done from the same location? I'm pretty sure I saw that male anchor on LI News this morning...

Yes you are correct. They share the same news anchors and studio.

According to the press release "The Regional News Network (RNN) is providing news and production functions.".

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2009/verizon-launches-fios1.html

It does look better than News 12, but it has that fake Mortgage/Breaking News infomercial look. And there is no way they'll compete with News 12/Cablevision. They have a handful of reporters and maybe only one or two on Long Island. Maybe 5 years down the road.

The graphics look kind of similar to the Time Warner news channels to me. I think the constant red flashes on the weather ticker thing is kind of distracting and there might be a little too much red for my taste (though I realize that's Verizon's color), but the look is pretty polished overall.

It's interesting seeing a bunch of News 12 freelancers there. From what I hear, they could be spending some days at FiOS 1 and other days at News 12.

I wonder if they'll have any live coverage of breaking news or press conference or anything like that.

Will there be a FiOS for NYC?

Maybe?

A friend of mine that works for Verizon tells me that they're focusing on areas outside of urban centers. And really that makes sense, especially in the NY market. NJ and LI, compared to the five boroughs, are very under-served on a majority of the area's news outlets. Why put out a product that's already being offered 10 times or so.

I've heard in PA you might see something along the lines of a Chester County FiOS1 along that same line of thinking.

Which means more jobs for folks in the industry.

Which in turn is some light at the end of the tunnel for this economic crisis. :awesome:. Overall I really like the idea, unfortunately I don't have FiOs so I can't tell what or how it looks like, I'm a veteran cable guy, but from the screenshots, the graphics looks pretty nice, I'm not sure how the news is presented so I couldn't judge it based on that, does anyone have a schedule? Or is it simply a couple of live broadcasts and then the repeats for them, any video as well?

It seems the format is that the 30min newscast is recorded and then played back in a 1 or two hour loop. Like for format Healdline News uses on the weekends.

I've not seen any live bug on the newscasts yet.

The traffic reports might be live and the weather reports might get updated for the replays of the newscasts.

There's a am news cast running 5am-9am and 10am.

I believe the 12pm newscast is a rebroadcast from 10am.

A new newscast comes on at 3pm and is replayed at 6pm.

The last newscast is 10:30pm-12:30pm.

The FiOS one reports are filmed and edited by the reporter.

They send the reports back to the studio via the internet.

It seems the format is that the 30min newscast is recorded and then played back in a 1 or two hour loop. Like for format Healdline News uses on the weekends.

I've not seen any live bug on the newscasts yet.

The traffic reports might be live and the weather reports might get updated for the replays of the newscasts.

There's a am news cast running 5am-9am and 10am.

I believe the 12pm newscast is a rebroadcast from 10am.

A new newscast comes on at 3pm and is replayed at 6pm.

The last newscast is 10:30pm-12:30pm.

The FiOS one reports are filmed and edited by the reporter.

They send the reports back to the studio via the internet.

That's more or less how Time Warner's channels are...I feel like this is just gunna be like that Verizon's version of the TWC newschannels ...however I find it odd that the Verizon logo is so prominently displayed in their graphics. I think it's best to show viewers that despite the fact that Verizon owns the station, Verizon (or Time warner, etc) are not directly making the newscasts/content. (Not to say that TWC's logo isn't in the newscast at times.)

Archived