KGO New Graphics

Mrtraveler01

I was watching clips of KGO in San Francisco and I noticed that they got a new graphics package. It's something that we were talking about in a thread a while back but I couldn't find it. In my opinion these new graphics aren't as good as their old ones were. In fact, I think they look like a really cheap knockoff of WLS.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video

It's some sort of weird hybrid between WLS and their old graphics. It doesn't work. Classic case of leaving well enough alone.

Why don't they just use WLS's graphics? It would be a better move than what they've got right now.

I wonder why they made the change.

This is quite old news' date=' they've been using this package since january[/quote']

Sorry I didn't know. This is the first time I saw them, I remember a forum a while back where we rumored that they would change their graphics but we never found out about it when we did.

I still think they look cheap for a market like SF and in my opinion WLS's graphics don't work in SF especially a knockoff of them like this.

It's elements from the WLS package combined with elements from the WABC package with some KABC thrown in for spice.

I have to ask - is that Al Vanik doing the voiceover?

I think sometimes stations only get the opens and fullscreens done professionally...the open id alot like WWSB, I wouldn't be surprised if it was GO. The L3's aren't too good though.

KGO has a long 30+ year history of favoring in-house design more often than not -- and for most of those years in-house built sets.

Should have left well enough alone with the old graphics. They were clean, forward thinking and classic.

KGO has a long 30+ year history of favoring in-house design more often than not -- and for most of those years in-house built sets.

Should have left well enough alone with the old graphics. They were clean, forward thinking and classic.

Agreed, i'm not as big of a fan of in-house work as I used to be.

Well I'm gonna take some excerpts from another thread I recently started about this, I had no idea we had a topic for this already, lol. Searching does help huh?, lol.

Anyway I think it looks a lot like Giant Octopus as the opening Circle 7 Animation is just like WABC's animation, and also has very similar elements to WABC.. The Circle 7 logo, is also now very similar to KABC too with the ABC ball on the lower hand side of the Circle 7. It is also just as large as KABC's Circle 7 as well. Some elements (very few) look like WLS's Hothaus in a very minuscule way... I guess its because of the bug that they use, that has the orange wave and glow to it. WLS's bug is very similar too. Either way its kinda a good new refreshed look for them. Better than the plain look they had before, the newscast is still a bit "bland", I guess it doesn't have all of the fluff and hype like their sister down south does, I guess Northern California or "NorCal" is not as hip as SoCal, haha. KGO always gets right to the point (hard news) with their stories as opposed to KABC...

Here is WABC's Open for a comparison:

[yt]lgI4J5h7RMg[/yt]

And now look at KGO's Open:

[yt]ekYKpct_d6M[/yt]

Very similar opens and elements, it really does look like a Giant Octopus intro at least, perhaps the L3s were done in house but the intro certainly looks like WABC's a bit... If you look at the two intros closely you'll see that there are several very similar elements, so the Lower Thirds perhaps may be done in house, but the intros are definitely Giant Octopus, lol.

• 2 months later...
It's elements from the WLS package combined with elements from the WABC package with some KABC thrown in for spice.

I have to ask - is that Al Vanik doing the voiceover?

Al Vanik has never done any voiceover work for KGO. Richard Gebhardt has been KGO's voiceover since about 2004.

Archived