NBC "looking at" possibility of phasing out all of their O&Os' weather departments

Spring Rubber

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/nbc/will_the_weather_channel_replace_local_nbc_forecasts_were_looking_at_that_opportunity_121662.asp

It doesn't sound like anything will happen for quite some time, but I guess it's something they're at least considering. The elimination of the San Diego weather department might very well be a test of whether or not eliminating the local "flavor" of the weather will work.

WVIT prepared for this in name only when they flipped to HD today. They're now known by the generic "NBC Weather Center" title, finally dumping WeatherPlus.

... WeatherPlus has been gone for months. Why WOULDN'T they drop it?

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/nbc/will_the_weather_channel_replace_local_nbc_forecasts_were_looking_at_that_opportunity_121662.asp

It doesn't sound like anything will happen for quite some time, but I guess it's something they're at least considering. The elimination of the San Diego weather department might very well be a test of whether or not eliminating the local "flavor" of the weather will work.

actually the morning show still has live weather done by morning veteran Whitney Southwick. but when the day does come when KNBC will take over in the mornings....ooh hello Elita Loresca. I wouldnt mind wakin up to her. I'll just have to balance her and Chrissy on KSWB lol.

One way it might is to keep a very few locals for the 5 min bites at 7:25am say. The rest of the day/evening those locals work in the news depart. This way the mets are skilled and trained at news gathering and are available for the infrequent storms. NBC can dump some dead weight (extra mets not needed for the reduced workload) while keeping a few locals which will work like hell when or if a hurricane approaches. For those in tornado alley or winter storm areas, change the noun and the statement still works.

Archived