Harry Porterfield's contract not renewed

Link

Like I said before, NO station can get away with not making any cutbacks in this economic environment. That said, no one should be surprised by this and you can bet there will be more to come sadly.

ABC 7 still is the only station that has a consistent news team at 11, 4, 5, 6, and 10. CBS 2 can't make up their mind on who anchors what and NBC 5 doesn't even have a lead anchor team anymore. Fox 32 is dumping their 10pm newscast. ABC 7 is the only station that offers stability. No wonder they are #1.

ABC 7 still is the only station that has a consistent news team at 11, 4, 5, 6, and 10. CBS 2 can't make up their mind on who anchors what and NBC 5 doesn't even have a lead anchor team anymore. Fox 32 is dumping their 10pm newscast. ABC 7 is the only station that offers stability. No wonder they are #1.

What about WGN?

Of course ABC-7's still top dog, the other stations don't even come close (I miss the competitve days in this city). But just as consistently as they've stayed #1 at 10, they've consistently lost viewers book-to-book for years. So now comes all these cuts, and I'm not sure an end is in sight. Could we even see a main anchor talent shown the door? I'm starting to think a top female could be on the way out soon, perhaps even Kathy Brock or Linda Yu. Cuz u know it would never be Cheryl Burton. Even tho she's put on some heft, has THE WORST HAIR-DO and wears some of the sluttiest tops and the most horrible jewelry. Personally, I'd love to see Linda Yu move-up, I absolutely love it when she fills-in for Kathy on the 10 alongside Ron Magers. Ron, Linda, Jerry and Mark make one hell of a team. So Chicago. I'd say just as good as Ron, Mary Ann, Steve and Bruce :p

Cuz u know it would never be Cheryl Burton. Even tho she's put on some heft' date=' has THE WORST HAIR-DO and wears some of the sluttiest tops and the most horrible jewelry. [/quote']

That is such sexist BS. All of what you said above has nothing to do with how good she is at presenting the news. You definitely wouldn't have said the same thing about Ron Magers.

Ass.

I'm sure if Ron wore slutty tops too he'd say the same thing. =^)

Cheryl is OK, she can read the new fine, but she really says the dumbest things a lot of the time during the banter between anchors. Her segue ways into the weather almost always suck, and they leave Jerry going "Um....well...." before he moves onto his next point.

That's the thing...It's not just her & Jerry...really it's any time there's room for banter. I understand some people aren't good at off the cuff conversation, but even knowing that, it still makes you slap yourself on the forehead and go "Oh boy, Cheryl...just...move along".

Anyhoozle.

Now that I think about it, letting Harry go was probably the wisest choice (Or at least it made most sense). He's well past retirement age I'm sure, and I'm sure he didn't mind leaving too much knowing that fact that retirement should've happened a while ago.

Now that I think about it, letting Harry go was probably the wisest choice (Or at least it made most sense). He's well past retirement age I'm sure, and I'm sure he didn't mind leaving too much knowing that fact that retirement should've happened a while ago.

Maybe so, just hope that his replacement is good.

Maybe so, just hope that his replacement is good.

Replacement? There'll be no replacement. His spot is just being eliminated altogether. There will be no more "Someone You Should Know" segment.. It has been an icon for as long as Harry Porterfield has been doing it; however, it's dated/past its prime and is something that isn't really needed or ratings effective anymore. Harry Porterfield very rarely does any actual general assignment reporting anymore so I can understand management's decision on him. I'm sure Harry Porterfield understands and isn't upset about it. He's just taking it as retirement..

Archived