Plane Crash Coverage

DMA

It's a DMA of 18 million people. I think the reason for so much coverage is the fact that the airspace where the accident occurred is unregulated. It's something that should be covered, but it's certainly not the story of the year.

I agree that it wasn't too big of a story, but at the time, the stations should have been all over it until they knew the magnitude of the situation.

I disagree. There was a LOT of misinformation when the story first broke (look at the early posts in this thread). If I were in a position where I was to decide whether or not a station broke in for live coverage, I'd wait for a press conference as well. There's no point in going on the air when you don't have the details confirmed just to scare people. If this warranted a breaking news cut-in, I'd say a top or bottom of the hour quick "Here's what happened, press conference at x" would suffice.

Misinformation? I had the 5th post and it was correct. Straight to here from Fox 5. And that was very early into the coverage.

Yes, however, two different users before and after your post had heard other reports...

Jim Smith just did a report for WCBS in Chopper2.

Could he be working for WCBS and WPIX?

So he's back with WCBS?

It's a bit unclear, so is Air11 still flying?

Take for instance WNBC, Chopper 4 was grounded and they use footage from SkyFox, but WNBC still refers to the aerial shots taken as from Chopper 4.

Jim Smith was reporting from Air11 this am and also reported in Chopper2 at Noon I think WCBS and WPIX do share a chopper.

Yes, WCBS and WPIX have been sharing a chopper now for about a month.

From the Daily News back in July...

WCBS/Ch. 2 and Ch. 11 start sharing a helicopter tomorrow.

It's the second partnership between stations here to share chopper services as a way to cut the cost of covering news. Previously, Ch. 5 and WNBC/Ch. 4 made a copter-sharing agreement.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/07/17/2009-07-17_tube_talk_reporter_james_ford_leads_with_his_heart_leaping_into_fray_to_help_out.html?page=1

Archived