Plane Crash Coverage

DMA

The coverage of the small plane crash over the Hudson this afternoon has been quite lacking. The crash happened at noon, yet the stations have only broken in around now.

WNYW and WWOR are simulcasting FNC, WNBC has a ticker, and WABC has local coverage, with live commentary from NewsCopter7. WCBS is showing an infomercial, and WPIX has a movie on.

I just find it disheartening that I heard the news first on BBC World News at 12:25, and no other station broke in. WABC started airing a ticker at about 1:15. I don't know when they broke in for coverage proper.

Edit: Now only WNYW and WWOR are the only ones airing coverage. It may not be a huge story, but it's bad when most of the stations in the market aren't airing anything.

I'm not in the NYC area right now, but I found out about it on Fox News Channel. Their coverage has been pretty good. CNN is also covering it and using video from NY1 and WABC, but MSNBC is still in regular programming. I was watching a live feed of Sky Fox on WNYW's website, and then it switched over to FNC's coverage.

http://www.newsday.com/news/one-dead-as-helicopter-small-plane-crash-into-hudson-1.1357113

At least one person is dead Saturday after a sightseeing helicopter and a small airplane collided in midair just before noon over the Hudson River, authorities said.

The crash sent debris from both aircraft into the water between Manhattan and New Jersey.

Rescue divers are "searching for survivors and casualties" at the crash site, which is near West 14th Street in Manhattan, said Paul Browne, the New York Police Department's chief spokesman.

At least one person has been rescued by the Fire Department, said Barbara L. Patton of the U.S. Coast Guard.

Six people were aboard the helicopter, which belongs to Liberty Helicopter Sightseeing Tours, Browne said. Three people were reported on board the plane, which The Associated Press reported was bound for Ocean City, N.J.

It was not clear who among the dead and the rescued were aboard which aircraft.

New York City's mayor, Michael R. Bloomberg, planned to hold a news conference Saturday afternoon at Pier 54, near 11th Street, his staff said.

The plane, a Piper PA-32, had taken off from Teterboro Airport in New Jersey heading south along the Hudson, said Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, adding that the plane was owned by LCA Partnerships of Fort Washington, Pa. The chopper is a Eurocopter AS 350, the AP reported.

I heard that 6 people were taken to hospitals. I'm surprised WCBS hasn't put up anything, not even a crawl. At least WABC actually broke in. WNYW is airing FNC, which is perfectly fine as well.

I got an ABC Breaking News Text Alert at 12:30pm about the story.

Turned on the TV right around 12:30pm... none of the local broadcast stations were on yet. NY1 was live with coverage, as was MSNBC. I didn't check CNN or FOX.

According to TVNewser, however, the cable nets broke in as follows:

"Of the cable news networks, CNN was first to report the news at 12:20pmET. Fox Business Network, which was in live programming at the time, reported the news at 12:24. MSNBC broke in to their taped programming at 12:32; Fox News, which was in taped business programming, reported the news at 12:42."

Just goes to show you the recession and "economic crisis", that the NY newsrooms don't have anyone in case of a breaking story on the weekend. What does that tell viewers, that breaking news can only happen during the week? Otherwise on the weekend, we can't provide any information.

I'm absolutely shocked that CBS2, which is normally right on top of things during the week had absolutely not even a mention, as far a I saw. I guess Mary works the morning and comes back for the evening news, and nobody is there in between?

I turned to News12 NJ which seemed to have the most live coverage!

WNBC went live in the 1pm hour when Mayor Bloomberg gave his press conference.

Oddly the report was done for them by MSNBC but only aired on WNBC.

They missed the start of the report.

WNBC had no local anchor ready to go live?

Yeah, coverage was horrible at best, if this would've occured yesterday, stations would've been better prepared. Of course its a horrible story. Everyone on board was killed, but still the coverage was highly lacking. In fact I had no idea this occured until I checked my e-mail and then Yahoo, had informed me. Anyway pretty sad.

I noticed the same thing. I had to just keep watching CNN until WABC and WPIX began its local coverage of Bloomberg's news conference on the accident. It just goes to show the erosion of local news coverage in the New York City viewing area.

Its not the first time a recession has hit. I recall many years ago the recessions of the 80s and early 90s and you did not see this cut to the bone nonsense going on at local tv stations.

Breaking stories were will still covered well on top of the fact that there wasn't much technology like today and the equipment used did not operate as fast as today.

In addition, corporations were restricted back then from owning too many stations in key markets. So they competed on quality!

The cost cutting is just a lame excuse by corporate conglomerates. They want to be allowed to have duopolies in major markets but at the same time they want to make profits using as few people as possible.

Where is the quality journalism or the notion of serving the community?

If things were so bad then why don't these companies just sell thier duopoly stations in the major markets to smaller independent companies?

Why don't these conglomerates just break up thier networks and sell them or spin-them off or something?

Thanks cfif. Sorry for the rant. It's just so sad and pathetic to realize that you can't depend on local news stations anymore and you have to be forced to watch the cable company news to get info on a breaking story. This was such a tragic event.

I was thinking about big news events that have happened on a weekend and I remembered an incident where 3 officers were shot and killed on a Saturday morning/afternoon in Pittsburgh. The big three stations (KDKA, WTAE, and WPXI) all had wall to wall coverage for hours. Infact, KDKA in perticular had their main anchor (Ken Rice) anchoring coverage and had several reporters on the scene. They also had their chopper at the scene. I'm shocked that the Pittsburgh stations had more coverage of a major news event on a weekend than the stations in NY, especially when more people were killed in NY including a child.

I would have thought that as soon as the crash happened, anchors and reporters from all of the stations would have gone to cover the event. One can only hope that the stations learn from this experience.

While the coverage was lacking, when you think about it...there wasn't much to cover.

Everything happened so fast, 9 lives were lost in an instant. Nobody on the ground was in danger, and aside from telling people what happened there wasn't much else to do.

That's true, and that's in-excusable. CBS2 did put up a ticker last night during the 8pm hour mentioning the NTSB news conference, and that it would be live on the website...go figure.

However, you do also have to remember the timing...just after 12-noon on a Saturday. How many people are even home and watching any of the broadcast networks at that time? It's still no excuse, but just a thought.

If you're not home, then the websites, email, and text alerts let you know.

I do think if it were a weekday, just after 12-noon there would have been wall to wall coverage all afternoon.

WCBS also broadcast the press conference, I think WABC kept Oprah on. I don't really think it was necessary for the stations to broadcast it, 20 minutes before the 5pm Newscast.

Overall I know that 9 people died and it is highly tragic and horrible, and may God rest their souls...But it really isn't all that bad, comparing to some of the other significant events that occurred this past year, such as the Hudson River Plane Ditching that occurred earlier this year. I know that people died and I'm truly sorry for all of that. I honestly did not think the news story was that big enough to warrant wall to wall coverage. I think the coverage was actually alright for a situation of that magnitude. Maybe we should start a poll to see what most people think. I think WABC was the only local TV station that had the best coverage since they actually broke into regular programming during the weekend. Overall CNN had the best coverage. It is the job of the news to inform us of what is going on, but the job really is up to the FAA and the NTSB to further investigate this situation and explore what new regulations could be placed to avert something like this repeating...

I agree that it wasn't too big of a story, but at the time, the stations should have been all over it until they knew the magnitude of the situation. I would say WNYW had the best coverage, since they broke in with FNC way earlier than WABC did, and stayed with it for about 90 minutes.

Overall I know that 9 people died and it is highly tragic and horrible, and may God rest their souls...But it really isn't all that bad, comparing to some of the other significant events that occurred this past year, such as the Hudson River Plane Ditching that occurred earlier this year. I know that people died and I'm truly sorry for all of that. I honestly did not think the news story was that big enough to warrant wall to wall coverage. I think the coverage was actually alright for a situation of that magnitude. Maybe we should start a poll to see what most people think. I think WABC was the only local TV station that had the best coverage since they actually broke into regular programming during the weekend. Overall CNN had the best coverage. It is the job of the news to inform us of what is going on, but the job really is up to the FAA and the NTSB to further investigate this situation and explore what new regulations could be placed to avert something like this repeating...

Its really not that bad? How about the families that have to deal with the loss of their loved ones..

Its really not that bad? How about the families that have to deal with the loss of their loved ones..

Well of course in that standpoint its horrible, but from a news standpoint, it, may not be that significant...

Archived