wtf

cbs2worksforyou

why does cbs 2 have two weather forecasters on air at the same time?

i.e. go to cbs2chicago.com and watch the 11am news weather segment. ed curran was right there, yet they tossed it to mary kay kleist to do the weather? wtf??

yesterday ed did a news report live shot that wasn't related to technogadgets or weather. ??????

The best way I can explain it is... some days of the week they relegate Ed Curran to the "Facebook beat", where his purpose is to share the latest viewer comments posted on Facebook, Twitter and cbs2chicago.com. On these days, even tho Ed's there, they bring in Mary Kay Kleist to handle weather duties. Not sure if this is a step down for Ed and a step up for Mary Kay, and pretty stupid I agree, but I guess it's better than having a skeleton crew where Ed's doing weather and TRAFFIC, while Roseanne's solo at the desk - like they did the other day. Or how bout when there's no weekend sports person and they'll have Mai Martinez doin the highlights?! Chicago sports at it's finest.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get it...I'm watching their 5AM news right now and they have three weather forecasters on the air at the same time (Don Schwenneker, Mary Kay Kleist, and Ed Curran), and Susan Carlson filling-in for Roseanne Tellez while also doing traffic. Last week Susan was off and Mary Kay did weather and traffic. Is Kris Habermehl not with the station anymore?

It doesn't make sense to me because if it's easy enough for Susan and Mary Kay and even Don to do double-duty some days (i.e. Susan anchoring/doing traffic, Mary Kay doing weather/traffic, and Don anchoring/doing weather), why is it so hard for Ed to do weather and the facebook beat or whatever he is doing?

Also, they have been promoting the "return" of Bill Kurtis...though he isn't going to be anchoring, and all they are doing is picking up reruns of his syndicated show and air short syndicated segments on the news...hardly newsworthy.

They've also been using this eery sounding music at the morning open, and it is horrible. They of course still use that same horrible cold open.

They've also been using this eery sounding music at the morning open, and it is horrible. They of course still use that same horrible cold open.

They've been using that piece of library music for the evening opens too. I forgot the name of that cut (someone did mention it here a while back) but it's just library music that they've used since their 2001-02 Works For You days. WFLD and WLS also uses that cut of library music and they've used it at the same time WBBM was using it..

I've heard rumors that they'll be dumping the In The Groove "Heart of Our City" music package and voiceover Bill Ratner soon too..

It is such an eerily-sounding cut. I hate it. You would think they would play something livelier because it is the morning news...but no. They've been using it for other opens too, in the afternoons.

Never been a fan of the inthegroove package or Bill Ratner. Bring back WBBM News from NonStopMusic, that had a lot of great cuts. And Joe Cipriano for voiceovers!

• 2 weeks later...
Also, they have been promoting the "return" of Bill Kurtis...though he isn't going to be anchoring, and all they are doing is picking up reruns of his syndicated show and air short syndicated segments on the news...hardly newsworthy.

That's what I thought too, but I'm happy to report that it's a little more than that. He will in fact be live on the set for his "Cold Case Minute" segments on the news, beginning this Tuesday at 10PM. They've been promoting the heck out if it too with some witty little tv spots, cleverly placed every 2 seconds during Sunday's Bears game on CBS might I add. Here's the full length promo...

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/[email protected]

And, he was talkin with Bob Sirott about it on WGN-AM not long ago, here's the audio from that. (It's more toward the middle-end but might as well just listen to the whole thing, it's not long)...

http://www.wgnradio.com/shows/noon/wgnam-bsuncut090914a,0,1755735.mp3file

That's what I thought too, but I'm happy to report that it's a little more than that. He will in fact be live on the set for his "Cold Case Minute" segments on the news, beginning this Tuesday at 10PM. They've been promoting the heck out if it too with some witty little tv spots, cleverly placed every 2 seconds during Sunday's Bears game on CBS might I add. Here's the full length promo...

Someone posted the 30 second alternate version on YouTube also:

Bill Kurtis was all-over the morning news today during the 6 o'clock hour. He was up early (on his birthday even) in the studio talking about his return to CBS 2. It was great to see him in his element again, at the desk - he's still got it that's for sure. Now if only he'd anchor! Here's some video...

1. It's Official: Bill Kurtis is Back

2. Bill Kurtis Talks About 'Cold Case Files'

3. Bill Kurtis on Cold Case, AT&T Commercials

4. Today is Bill Kurtis' Birthday

• 2 weeks later...

New Bill Kurtis Thursday Night Promo:

why does he pretend to punch Rob Johnson at the end? I mean sure, sometimes I'd like to punch Rob Johnson, but... i don't get it.

and i wonder if the graphics behind bill are a taste of what's to come for CBS 2? not that they're a whole lot different.

New Bill Kurtis Thursday Night Promo:

why does he pretend to punch Rob Johnson at the end? I mean sure, sometimes I'd like to punch Rob Johnson, but... i don't get it.

and i wonder if the graphics behind bill are a taste of what's to come for CBS 2? not that they're a whole lot different.

No.. Those aren't new graphics. That graphics has been a part of the package since the beginning. However, it isn't really used on on-air promos so much. It's more used on station sales presentation videos. The logo has been slightly modified to match the promo series.

I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the graphics to something much more simple. Rumors again are saying that management doesn't like the current graphics. They're saying that there's too much going on in them and they're too "cluttery".

They've finally ditched the library music on the opens and reverted back to a cut from the music package. However, it's not the open cuts previously used. It seems like they just randomly picked a cut to use for all the opens now. I noticed today that they've been using a different cut for the closes.. Something much softer sounding, although I don't know if that's just a glitch or a permanent change.

They might as well bring Walter Jacobson, Harry Volkman, and Howard Sudberry back to anchor a newscast along with Bill Kurtis.. I doubt it would help ratings, but hell, they've got the extra spending money now..

I got the feeling they want to go back to a 2 main anchor format for the 6PM and 10PM newscasts; however, just not with Anne State.. I think they'll bring in someone else from the market.

Is anyone else catching this? Rob Johnson is anchoring the 6PM newcast from the newsroom tonight. It's just 1 camera angle of Rob Johnson sitting right up against the window overlooking Daley Plaza. I could see what they're going for but it just looks bad. The lighting in the newsroom isn't mean for this, it's dark outside so nothing can be seen outside, you can see a reflection of what's going on in the newsroom.. There was really no sign that he was even in the newsroom other than the reflection on the window of the guy sitting at his desk nearby that looked really uncomfortable to how close Rob Johnson and all this was. Pretty pointless, if you ask me. However, everything else (the reporter stand-up plasma shots, Steve Baskerville's weather, and Ryan Baker's sports) was being done from the main studio downstairs..

Really, they gotta test this stuff out first before going on-air with it.. It's sad that WBBM newscasts are just on-going experiments. Alot of people talked smack about previous management but at least with previous management, it seemed like there was a set direction they were going with the newscasts..

Archived