KCRA's green borderless 3 logo

JackBauer112

I was watching KCRA's new newscasts and checked out that from their youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/kcratv that Channel 3's classic green on white border is basically a silhouette with a white on black/transparent, is it that Hearst Television is trying to make a huge step for the station by colorlessing the logo or is it that since KCRA is #1 similar to KUSA-TV Denver, KING-TV Seattle and KGW-TV Portland that they are trying to make it more huge to regain their reign for ratings.:confused:

I was watching KCRA's new newscasts and checked out that from their youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/kcratv that Channel 3's classic green on white border is basically a silhouette with a white on black/transparent, is it that Hearst Television is trying to make a huge step for the station by colorlessing the logo or is it that since KCRA is #1 similar to KUSA-TV Denver, KING-TV Seattle and KGW-TV Portland that they are trying to make it more huge to regain their reign for ratings.:confused:

It's just a bug... Not a big deal.

It's called a "glass bug" or a "ghost bug". They've been around for ages. Some managers like them colored, some like them clear (like the new KCRA bug). It's just a matter of preference. No big deal.

Also, colorlessing is my new favorite non-word.

Another little observation, is when watching ,most those videos, it seems that they use graphics minimally, comparing to most other stations... On the very first video about the Sexual Assaults and a few others, stories, the screen doesn't feature a single Live banner or even a single lower third. The graphics are nice though, would be nice to see more of it though, lol.

Another little observation, is when watching ,most those videos, it seems that they use graphics minimally, comparing to most other stations... On the very first video about the Sexual Assaults and a few others, stories, the screen doesn't feature a single Live banner or even a single lower third. The graphics are nice though, would be nice to see more of it though, lol.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the videos posted are taken from some point in the broadcast stream prior to the CGs being added and that the bug is specific to that online content.

Can anyone with access to KCRA OTA verify?

I'm going to hazard a guess that the videos posted are taken from some point in the broadcast stream prior to the CGs being added and that the bug is specific to that online content.

Yeah, I also thought of that too, in that case it can be a good thing for those looking for raw news footage without graphics to add their own graphics too, you know for practice, lol.

The graphics are the nearly year old Hearst TV HD graphics which is an updated variation of the 2005 Hearst-Argyle graphics package in which KCRA first commissioned after former KIRO-TV morning anchor Gulstan Dart came to KCRA last September and have been also rolled out to sister stations WCVB Boston, WBAL Baltimore and WESH-TV Orlando just to name a few.

BTW, I have some video from how KCRA 3 just edits their videos and it seems that they keep the Green colored 3 logo in their OTA's while when the video is edited for YT purposes, the master control edits out the graphics and thus uses the ghosting 3 logo.

FYI, KCRA's logo for a time was colored red back around 1990-1992 before they recaptured the green bordered 3 logo in 1992.

Also, colorlessing is my new favorite non-word.

As Michelle Tanner would say, "You got it dude!"

The way our (KFBB) BIM-powered video capture is set up is that it records the OTA signal (I'm assumming before it hits the transmitter) and we edit it from that web server, that way it captures CGs and everything.

It also allows us to upload stories directly off our master hard drive to breaking news up to the web in between newscasts.

This is correct. The translucent bug is only supered over video files uploaded to YouTube and streamed on KCRA.com. I'm pretty sure this is a recent change to capturing video before these graphics are inserted by the switcher, since I seem to remember seeing lower-thirds and the regular, opaque KCRA bug on these clips before.

And to the OP: Can you pass me a little bit of whatever it is you're smoking?

Archived