WXIA being sold?

WXIAFan13

Not going to happen any time soon. With NBC making so many cuts, and with the move they made at KNSD in Sad Diego with the weather department and rumors of that happening to other O&O's, I find it highly unlikely that they would want to invest any money into buying a station in a market with no other O&O competetion from the other "big three" affiliates. Also, If NBC does have a few dimes to spare, they should focus on making the stations they own already a little bit better with talent, additional newscasts, etc.

What about NBC doing a swap with Gannett and or another group? NBC could swap WTVJ and WVIT to Gannett or another group for WXIA and they could house it at the Weather Channel Studios. Speculation of course, but it could save NBC a few pennies.

What about NBC doing a swap with Gannett and or another group? NBC could swap WTVJ and WVIT to Gannett or another group for WXIA and they could house it at the Weather Channel Studios. Speculation of course' date=' but it could save NBC a few pennies.[/quote']

Only in our TV dream world could I see that happening.

WXIA just moved into a new building with WATL and I don't think TWC has enough space to house 11Alive... I can't picture WXIA moving to the suburbs, since TWC is not actually in ATL.

First of all, if NBC wanted an OnO, they'd take a stab at KRON in San Francisco and make KNTV a Telemundo affil, now why the hell would they want to bother with Atlanta and Gannett which clearly is helping the network turn a profit.

First of all, if NBC wanted an OnO, they'd take a stab at KRON in San Francisco and make KNTV a Telemundo affil, now why the hell would they want to bother with Atlanta and Gannett which clearly is helping the network turn a profit.

Maybe I'm stupid, but isn't KNTV already an O and O, so why, in this incredibly hypothetical world, would they need to take a stab at one in the Bay Area?

Maybe I'm stupid, but isn't KNTV already an O and O, so why, in this incredibly hypothetical world, would they need to take a stab at one in the Bay Area?

It's because as adults in the industry, we've lost our imagination... The "real world" has corrupted us.

While I'm not an expert in regards to the Bay Area, KRON historically had been a strong station, and also had a better signal especially in the North Bay. Plus, before NBC bought KNTV, they really wanted KRON.

For many years NBC wanted an OnO on Channel 4 in the Bay Area to go with the Channel 4's in NYC, LA and DC. Besides Channel 11's signal is not as powerful as Channel 4, because it's licensed to San Jose and for much of its time did not reach as far as San Francisco. Plus cable viewers get NBC Bay Area on Channel 3.

Seriously, if I had a quarter for every time I heard something about bringing NBC back to KRON, I would be more than able to afford the rent on an apartment that I really want near downtown San Francisco right now. But, I digress. So here we go, yet again...

NBC has been on KNTV for nearly eight years now, and the world has yet to grind to a halt because of it. Yes, KRON is worth a fraction of what it was when Young bought it for in 2001, but NBC would have to pour tens (no, probably hundreds) of millions of dollars into KRON in order to get it close to being the station it was when NBC was around (this is also why no other ownership group wants to touch KRON with a 50-foot pole). Why would they do that when they've already poured tens of millions of dollars into KNTV? Besides, KSTS has been an NBC/Telemundo O&O since before KNTV was an O&O, and they've been co-located at 2450 North First Street in San Jose since 2004.

I don't even know why I'm jumping in here with this, since it's common knowledge that NBC doesn't have a dime to spare on its local stations anyway. NBC is selling stations, not buying them.

And no, Gannett is not going to sell WXIA, and in the extremely remote chance that they do put it up for sale, the chance is even more remote that NBC would be interested in buying it. There are a lot more loser stations that they own (KXTV, WGRZ, WFMZ, et al.) which I'm sure would go up on the block before that one...

The great TVNT brain drain of 2009 rolls on.

What about NBC doing a swap with Gannett and or another group? NBC could swap WTVJ and WVIT to Gannett or another group for WXIA and they could house it at the Weather Channel Studios. Speculation of course' date=' but it could save NBC a few pennies.[/quote']

Odd, but possible.

My post was all speculation/a "what if" scenario, I know that it will never happen but unfortunately WXIAfan13 took it like it was going to happen. I apologize for feeding the troll.

Archived