Charles Gibson stepping down!

ProButtonPusher

Sawyer is not a good choice. If I was ABC, I'd try to poach Lester Holt from NBC. This isn't a reflection her abilities as a journalist, but she's better suited for GMA. Make GMA less fluffy, and see Sawyer shine.

Wishful thinking aside, I don't expect the ratings to budge. This could actually serve to boost Couric's numbers.

And a question: Are picking people from the morning shows en vogue now?

Sawyer is not a good choice. If I was ABC, I'd try to poach Lester Holt from NBC. This isn't a reflection her abilities as a journalist, but she's better suited for GMA. Make GMA less fluffy, and see Sawyer shine.

Wishful thinking aside, I don't expect the ratings to budge. This could actually serve to boost Couric's numbers.

And a question: Are picking people from the morning shows en vogue now?

Yes, because the morning shows are now the money-makers for the news division. The idea is that viewers who like a particular morning show anchor will also want to watch them at night.

Doesn't always work (ie Katie Couric) but Sawyer isn't in the same mold as Couric, either...she's no perky lightweight.

Remember, too, that Sawyer's popularity with a wide spectrum of viewers is why she was asked to co-host GMA in the first place. Back in late 1998, GMA (then hosted by Kevin Newman and Lisa McRee) had fallen far behind "Today" and, during the last week of the year, fallen behind even CBS "This Morning" for the first time. ABC execs stepped in, jettisoned Newman and McRee and teamed Sawyer and Gibson together to host the show on an "interim basis" (Gibson, Joan Lunden and Spencer Christian had all been more-or-less unceremoniously let go in 1997).

Under her and Gibson, GMA's ratings increased - though, obviously, never enough to actually over-take "Today" (nationally, though ratings in NY, LA and Chicago are always high).

I, too, feel that GMA is far to fluffy. But, I'm a little old-school in that I remember when the morning shows didn't do fluff until during the 830 half-hour LOL!

I'm not a big fan of Chris Cuomo and I don't think he has chops to step into Diane's seat next to Robin Roberts full-time. David Muir does a decent job as occasional fill-in, but I don't think he has the chops either. I also don't think they would move Bill Weir up from "GMA Weekend" and one can only pray they don't try Elizabeth Vargas (again).

I'm not a big Diane Sawyer fan, but it might just be because of the obnoxious morning show schtick. Katie Couric has grown on me since leaving Today. I'll reserve judgement for now.

I like Charles Gibson, but I feel like World News has gotten a little stale. Hopefully this will give ABC a chance to freshen up the show a bit.

Diane was David Westin's only option. Diane wanted the job when Charlie got it in 2006 and from reading the book (the title is escaping me right now) that gave a behind the scenes look when all three networks were in transition, Diane was pretty pissed that she didn't get it before. So I'm guessing she would have walked if she didn't get it this time around. It's better to lose one heavy hitter at a time... Although I would have liked to see David Muir get it.

I like Charles Gibson and am disappointed to see him go. I would hardly watch any network evening newscast from start to finish, but when I would, I would normally watch Charles Gibson because Brian Williams comes off as a little bland when at the anchor desk. However, I like Diane Sawyer as well and wish her the best of luck. She is a great journalist with a lot of experience. Also, speaking of Brian Williams, I noticed tonight that he mentioned that Charles Gibson was stepping down and I didn't catch the entire piece, but at the end he wished them both well.

Now, here's a thought: when Diane Sawyer decides to step down, I wonder if Bob Woodruff would be in any position to fill her shoes. I'm not sure how he is doing since he was injured in January 2006, but I think he would be an excellent choice and how he he was named co-anchor of the broadcast along with Elizabeth Vargas just weeks before he was injured, but they were both replaced by Charlie. I have always admired his work starting from his days on the weekends on ABC and I think he trully deserves it. It's just a thought though.

This is surprising news. I never really took a liking to Charlie, but he wasn't bad, just a bit stern and dull. I think Diane Sawyer is the perfect candidate to replace him. She anchored a few shows a few months back, and she was superb. I just think she's classy and authoritative without being too stern.

Even when watching GMA, I've noticed that Diane is more of a "hard-news" kind of person...not exactly compatible with the morning news format that many of us are used to.

On the other hand, Diane has always come off as fake and snooty to me. I'll watch her when I have a chance just to see how she is, but I rarely make it home from work in time to watch the evening network news anyway.

I'm quite surprised to see Gibson go. I have a feeling that Diane wanted that spot for many years, she was quite excited about the opportunity. I think she's the perfect candidate, and will perhaps even become the next "Barbara Walters", there really isn't anyone near comparison to Barbara, but she certainly comes close.

Archived