Tribune Expanding News on CW Stations?

Que

So, I have noticed several Tribune stations are now adding an early evening newscast. KDAF, The 33, here in DFW is adding a 5:30P newscast, set to debut next Monday. I saw that KTLA was also doing something similar, as well as other Tribune owned stations.

Does anyone else have any other news on this? Despite bankruptcy, it seems Tribune is still willing to expand operations at stations.

Well, I remember last week someone on tvspy asked the same question. How does Tribune continue to add while in bankruptcy? The poster said that it may be because since Tribune did file for bankruptcy all, if not most of the pre-existing debt is wiped out thus giving Tribune some cash flow. I'm no expert, but this could be a reason why, or maybe they could be saving money by adding a newscast or two instead of running a syndie.

So, I have noticed several Tribune stations are now adding an early evening newscast. KDAF, The 33, here in DFW is adding a 5:30P newscast, set to debut next Monday. I saw that KTLA was also doing something similar, as well as other Tribune owned stations.

Does anyone else have any other news on this? Despite bankruptcy, it seems Tribune is still willing to expand operations at stations.

It started at Tribune flagship station WGN. Adding a 5:30PM newscast to be an alternative to the national news on CBS, NBC, and ABC. It's working out pretty well here in Chicago and has picked up a few more viewers than when there was just a syndicated rerun in its place so they're going ahead with it at other Tribune stations.

It's being done in a very cost effective manner.. Nobody new is being hired. It's just requiring a little more work from existing staffers and more effective staff scheduling. Most people that work in the business know the current situation and know if they want to continue working at a station that they'd be doing the added extra work thrown upon them.

It's not just the CW stations. With the departure of Mike & Juliet's Morning Show, KCPQ gave the 9 AM hour over to news.

Not quite up to the quantity of KTLA - they're short a 1 PM and a dinner-hour show, but they're getting there. (That doesn't include the nightly hour on sister station KMYQ)

It's not just the CW stations. With the departure of Mike & Juliet's Morning Show, KCPQ gave the 9 AM hour over to news.

Not quite up to the quantity of KTLA - they're short a 1 PM and a dinner-hour show, but they're getting there. (That doesn't include the nightly hour on sister station KMYQ)

KTVI is doing the same with their 9AM hour. Anyways a few months ago KPLR started to air a newscast at noon. They probably can't add many more since they share news resources with KTVI.

Archived